NVIDIA Interview Questions

Updated Mar 24, 2015

3.3

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at NVIDIA in October 2009.

Applied for job when in school HR contacted me. Arranged for a phone interview with the hiring manager. He was very polite and asked me to mail him a Cycle in Linked List solution. On site was long and rigorous. About 4 engineers + 1 manager + 1 VP + 1 HR. Most questions were around concurrent systems / race conditions / deadlocks / livelocks / semaphores / Operating systems internals. The newer members asked about bit twiddling hacks (please go through Stanford bit twiddling hacks once you wont regret it :-))

Interview Questions
    • Cache coherence algorithms between I/O and CPU   View Answer
    • Interviewer described a complex race condition involving OS code and GPU work submission. Asked me to fix it using a register and no extra buffer.   View Answer
    Turned down initial offer since I had a better offer from elsewhere. Accepted their counter offer.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at NVIDIA in October 2009.

The preliminary screen will be done by the HR group, who will likely go over your resume. An initial screen is done by the hiring manager for the department you'll be working under, which may or may not contain technical questions. They may ask what position you'd like to apply for if you didn't specify in your initial application. If you pass this initial screen, you'll be passed on to the manager or a co-worker of the respective group, which will then go into more specific software questions.

For me, the questions consisted of general software knowledge , as well as some software problems. If everything goes well, you'll be hired.

ASIC Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at NVIDIA in September 2009.

1:1 Interview at job fair. discussed project experiences. Gave an quiz with some simple design questions

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at NVIDIA in September 2009.

I was contacted by Nvidia's recruiter. They first scheduled a one-on-one interview, followed by two phone interviews [second gentlemen was calling out of Germany ]. The phone interviews were straightforward with one or two "trick" questions. The one-on-one interview was also straightforward but the gentelmen who I was talking with appeared to be very cocky and somewhat rude. At the end of the interview he went on to comment on my coding skills, which he described as OK for someone with my experience. This is considering that I solved his problem correctly and was invited to do two more phone interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Write and aligned malloc() that gets memory size needed and an alignment mask as its arguements. Write a free() function to go with the aligned malloc that takes only the pointer to the allocated chunk of memory.   View Answers (2)
    • Write a macro to which you can pass a name of a structure and a name of one of its fields and get a relative offset of this field within the structure.   View Answers (2)

Dev Tech Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at NVIDIA in September 2009.

My interviews with NVIDIA went pretty well although I didn't get the offer. Here is the rough process I went through

1. Submitted my resume at Siggraph job fair in the year of 2009 in the August (of course)

2. Three weeks later, got an email from the nice recruiter for an initial phone screening.

3. One week later, interviewed by an software operation manager, asked about my expertise, and was told that he would forward my resume to the dev tech team

4. After a month or so (I thought I was rejected already), got another email from the recruiter for another 45 minutes interview with the hiring manager. All technical questions and I answered okay - for some of them, I only came up with reasonable but not best solutions.

5. Got an on-site invitation the next day and scheduled a day two weeks after.

6. Interviewed by 8 dev tech engineers. They are mostly PhD researchers & developers. Asked mostly technical questions related to their own background. For about 3 of them, I didn't do well - partly because background mismatch...

7. Get the rejection one week after.

All in all, I was happy with the experience. NVIDIA engineers are smart and nice

Interview Questions
    • Some cache problem: about which part of memory should be cached when you solve a linear system so that the speed up benefit from the cache could actually be taken advantage of.   View Answer

ASIC Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at NVIDIA in September 2009.

Interview with one of the managers of the ASIC design team. One on one interview in the conference room.

Initially was aksed qns regarding resume, work experience, then moved onto tough logic design questions, calculate set up time. hold time, prop. delay for complex circuits.

it was very tough and i could not make it. all the best to everyone! u will need it

Interview Questions
    • calculate set up , hold in terms of some 10 parameters.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at NVIDIA in September 2009.

Applied online and around two weeks later, they arranged a phone interview.
    The phone interview is technical. Pretty basic C and OS question: multi-threading, semaphore, memory alignment, etc. Question about previous project experience. etc.
    But I was not quite ready at that time. It didn't take much time and I failed.

Fall Internship Electrical Engineering Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at NVIDIA in August 2009.

I first got contacted by the HR recruiter and then I got scheduled to do two technical interview by phone, around 1 hour each. The first one was easier, I got around 10 questions including some puzzle questions. The second technical interview was much harder. They ask a lot of technical question about basic digital circuit design.

Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillsboro, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillsboro, OR

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at NVIDIA in July 2009.

The first communication was a phone call from an HR representative. This was followed by a 1-hour phone interview. The questions asked during the phone interview where very basic computer architecture questions followed by a simple brain teaser. After this, an on-site visitation was arranged where I had eight 1-hour 1:1 interview with the different member of my new team. The questions varied, but mostly I repeated the quick presentation of my graduate research and answered questions related to that. Most of the people where very interested in the answers.

Interview Questions
    • Four people, (A, B, C, and D) need to get across a river, and there is only one boat. The boat can only hold two people at a time and will only go as fast as the slowest person in the boat. If it takes A one minute to cross, B two minutes, C five minutes, and D seven minutes, what is the shortest time for all 4 people to cross the river?   View Answers (3)

Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at NVIDIA in July 2009.

a normal interview process with the team and manager. a variety of questions - mostly to gauge experience - no specific technical questions. interview process was split over 2 - 3 days because of availability. interviews were rescheduled near the end so really didn't know who I would be interviewing with until the last minute - therefore couldn't research interviewers

1.5 months