NVIDIA Physical Design Engineer Interview Questions

7 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at NVIDIA in March 2013.

Send my resume and did a quiz in the career fair. Got an email asking to set up a phone interview about 7 weeks later. The second phone interview is setup very quickly after the first interview. 2 phone interviews so far. Do not know whether there will be an onsite for internship.

Interview Questions
  • What's power gating and clock gating. Briefly explain setup time and hold time violation. Briefly describe what is physical design. Sequence Detector. And some questions about my project.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for NVIDIA

Physical Design Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at NVIDIA.

There was 45 min technical phone interview scheduled after I received invitation email from Nvidia. The interview starts with the interviewer talking about his group's responsibilities and general information about how different groups inside Nvidia interact with each other.

The questions remembered so far are:
    Setup time and hold time analysis: specify which part of a circuit contribute to the setup time or hold time violation?
    super buffer: given a load capacitance, how to size inverters so that the overall delay would be smallest?
    simple logic design: how to convert a two input nand gate into an inverter?
    ...
    can only remember these questions so far... good luck!

Interview Questions
    • try to be crystal clear about setup time and hold time violation cases so that you can give quick answers to the interviewer...   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at NVIDIA in March 2011.

You will get 2 or 3 phone interviews for one position. Those who performs good will be invited to on-site.
    The phone interview is not difficult, something like basic exam questions.

Interview Questions
    • Draw a two-put NAND gate and size it, assuming the ratio of PMOS/NMOS is 2 in inverter. Then suppose two input are A and B for NMOS and PMOS. A is close to output and B is close to ground, input A change from 0 to 1 at t=t1, input B change from 0 to 1 at t =t1 (t1 > t0). Describe how the output change. Then input B changes from 0 to 1 first then input A changes from 0 to 1. Describe how the output changes. Are there any differences between these two scenarios?   View Answer
    • How to modify a two-input NAND gate to an inverter?   View Answer
    • You are give two flip-flops and there's an combination logic in between, the two flip-flops are driven by the same clock. You are provided with parameters of T_reg, T_logicmax, T_logicmin, T_setup, T_hold, etc. How to determine the cycle time and hold time of this circuits.   View Answers (2)
    • Draw an inverter. Then switch the position of NMOS and PMOS. Describe the circuit.   View Answers (2)
    • You are provided with one XOR gate, one OR gate and one NOR gate. Please build a NAND gate.   View Answers (2)

Physical Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at NVIDIA in August 2013.

Had 3 interview. Also basics of physical design

Didn't negotiate

Physical Design Engineer Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at NVIDIA.

The interview process was pretty standard for a new graduate technical position. They were at a career fair at my school and I gave them my resume. They were the only company to actually give me a brief quiz while at the fair. I was somewhat lucky because I mentioned that I had been interested in digital layout and the guy I was talking to was a part of the layout team so my application was forwarded to the physical design team at NVIDIA.

I received an email several weeks later for a 45 minute phone interview. The questions were mostly about my resume and a few straightforward questions about doing layout. Some of the questions included what were errors when running DRC, what is crosstalk, etc.

The interview went pretty well, no questions that were too tricky. I had another phone interview about 2 weeks later and this was much more technical and he didn't ask anything about my resume. Some of the questions included making a frequency doubler, reversing a linked list, and inverter sizing. The interview was only supposed to take 45 minutes, but I was slow in answering the questions, but he didn't seem to mind and we ended up taking over an hour to do the interview.

Finally I drove out to the campus for the onsite interview. The staff there was really friendly and gave me a free lunch in the cafeteria since I had gotten there half an hour early. There were I think 5 interviewers including an HR person. I don't really remember all of the questions, but they were all over the place from doing simple circuit design (4 NAND) to drawing out the layout of a MOSFET.

I was somewhat nervous for the onsight interview and made some dumb mistakes that I realized afterward so I left feeling not very confident. Its been several weeks and they haven't gotten back to me so I'm not holding my breath at this point. The best advice I can give is to not give a knee jerk response to questions they ask and first work it out slowly. I would've seen a lot of the dumb mistakes I had made during the onsight interview.

Interview Questions
    • Given a parallel plate capacitor and one of the plates is oscillating, find the current equation for the cap.   View Answer

Physical Design Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at NVIDIA.

Applied for internship, Talk about 40 minutes on basic MOS circuit, sizing, delay, optimization

Physical Design Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at NVIDIA in October 2010.

technical interview, lasted about 45 minutes
    asked basic questions about inverters, cmos, bjt, mosfet
    lady was kind and patient; gave me plenty of time and did not rush me for answers

Interview Questions
    • What are some advantages of BJTs over MOSFETs?   View Answer