NVIDIA Interview Questions in San Jose, CA

Updated Jun 23, 2015

3.3

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at NVIDIA (Santa Clara, CA).

Interview

Interview process was so so disorganized that it was hard to believe Nvidia would fall under this category. Had a round of phone interview and was called on site for a whole day of interviews. I thought I did all the interviews pretty well and was hoping to hear about an offer. They call me after two weeks saying they want to schedule another day of on site interviews. Very strange but I was relieved that they got back to me finally! Did a whole day of interviews on -site and phone interview with a senior manager of the whole team.

After an agonising 2 weeks of waiting, they got back me via phone and email saying I got the offer. I was super excited as I liked the job profile of the position immensely. The HR then called me to ask about what I was expecting and explained the benefits etc. After I week, I still had no offer letter or communication except the email before, and I tried to get in touch with the HR. They never picked up or replied to my emails. Finally after one more week, the HR got back to me saying the position was removed and like you can try applying to other positions in the company.

Seriously, a very unfair move on their side. Making me attend interview one after the other, prolong the process for 2.5 months, give me the offer and take it back afterwards. Totally lost all my regards for the recruiting process and HR, wasting my time,their time and playing with my morale!! They should have atleast helped consider me for other positions within the company but they never did!

Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at NVIDIA (San Jose, CA).

Interview

This may be unusual - not everyone's experience may be like this.

During general introductions, the recruiter criticized my former employers and used some adjectives to compare them with NVidia. In trying to establish that they don't negotiate salaries, commented on my past choices.

I gave factual, courteous answers and focused on actual interviews that were about to start.

Sometimes recruiters don't realize that polite candidates might let unwelcoming language pass without retort, but they are impacting the NVidia's brand as an employer.

The interviews were fine in general but we didn't seem to be a match. I don't get surprised by odd questions or behaviour, but interviewers tended to cut my answers off mid-sentence. They did not like me setting context for my answers to what seemed like theoretical situation MCQ list. The role requires soft skills and situations are not black or white.

Interview Questions

• Normal people and project management questions, not too tough for me:
      Your strengths
      Your weaknesses.
      What would you do with a late feature request that can blow away your schedule?

Graphics Verification Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at NVIDIA (San Jose, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online and contacted through Linkedin. First round was phone screen. Manager did mention that there would be another phone screen before the onsite. Easy and simple questions. Already had a competitive offer, so did not mind much about further rounds.

Interview Questions

• Lot of linux command questions. Was asked to write many scripts.   Answer Question

ASIC Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at NVIDIA (Santa Clara, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

The first round is 60 min phone interview. There is no questions on my project, and almost all of the questions are technical. The questions covers software C++ algorithm, hardware FSM and computer architecture pipelines.

Interview Questions

• 1. Swap function: difference between pass by value and pass by reference
      2. Fibonacci series. Two implementation: for loop and recursive.
      3. The usage of constant, constant functions
      4. Detect sequence pattern in FSM.

Marketing Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at NVIDIA (Santa Clara, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Recruiter contacted via LinkedIn and asked to forward resume. Recruiter promptly scheduled telephone conference with a manager. Screening Manager called me on time, asked good questions. Recruiter scheduled me for on site interview with hiring Executive. I arrived on time at the headquarters. Hiring manager arrived about 10 minutes late. He described his business. Then started reading my resume while I waited. Then mid way through reading, he asked me four questions, one at a time. Each time I answered (concisely), he would interrupt mid-way and ask the next question. He asked me on question that was appropriate for the CEO of my company and came up with his own (self serving) answer. Then he said he did not see a match.
    I have never been interrupted so many times while speaking at an interview. The whole thing lasted 30 minutes. I felt that he was trying to find a way to reject me right from the start.

Interview Questions

• Q: How can you contribute to the department within this company?   1 Answer
    • Q: What are your key strengths?   1 Answer
    • Q: Why should I buy your companies products over generic third party IT hardware?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at NVIDIA (San Jose, CA).

Interview

One technical interview with lots of detailed questions.Some are easy, but some are very hard. They would like to find a person know the details of the tools. After the phone interview, the interviewer asked me to do a 24 hour coding exam, which is to implementing mycollate and myfree.

Verification Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at NVIDIA (San Jose, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

It was a pretty average interview with focus on basic coding questions and some hardware design questions. The interviewer was very polite and patient but I hadn't done my homework. There were also some PERL questions and a little computer architecture background like cache coherence and snooping. Overall it was a good interview.

Systems Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at NVIDIA (Santa Clara, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

3 phone interview, 2 technical and 1 interpersonal with the hiring manager. First phone interviews technical question was to write a binary search tree class in C, it should implement insertions, deletions and search functions. Second interview technical question was to implement a clipping algorithm in pseudo-code that could handle more clip windows than were supported in hardware. Third interview had a number of personal and moral questions. Made it to the on-site. Was asked to write my own implementation of Tail in C, was asked to write an algorithm in C that would determine if a point lay within any polygonal bounding area, and was asked to write a function that could print any UTF string in reverse. Lunch interview where I was allowed to ask question about the company, and then a personal interview with HR and the hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• Definitely the point contained within the bounding polygon. Was expecting to be asked a question about a point bound in a rectangle, but not bound by any polygon.   Answer Question

Systems Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at NVIDIA (San Jose, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

I applied for the systems software engineer job posting online. After a month of applying, the HR reached out to me and the telephonic interview timings were sent by email by one of the HR's. They were quite flexible when it came to interview timings and date. The interview process was very structured and professional

Interview Questions

• The questions were mostly on RTOS and its concepts. Questions ranged from what is a semaphore, difference between semaphore and mutex, how would you design a system where 2 threads are trying to access a shared resource at the same time. FInally i got a dynamic problem - write a program which accepts user data of any type ( it can be a variable, array, structure, pointers etc) and
      sorts it. I did not know the solution to this question

Device Drivers Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at NVIDIA (Santa Clara, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

The interview process started with two 30 minute technical phone interviews. In both they immediately started with technical questions. The second interviewer wasn't even aware that I previously had an interview. They flew me to their headquarters and I had a full day of interviews. There were six 50 minute technical interviews. Each one was lead by a different engineer. I also had lunch with the head of the team and he asked me more general questions about my experience and what I was looking for.

Interview Questions

• The onsite interview questions all involved solving some problem and writing the code on a whiteboard. The questions were mostly low-level problems like addition of arbitrarily large integers or copying memory.   Answer Question