NVIDIA

Average Difficulty
24 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Systems Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at NVIDIA.

Interview Details – First HR contacted me, then there is the first phone interview asking project experience and background, with a simple string swapping question, explain virtual memory, later it's the second interview, asking project experience and background again, explain virtual memory again, simple lnked list add/remove question, then on-site interview, 6 interviewer, 45 minutes each, I explained my project experience 6 times, with algorithm, data structure, virtual memory, CPU cache, debugging questions.

Interview Question – swap an extermely large integer array in bits, cannot use bit operation because too slow.   View Answer

Santa Clara, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at NVIDIA in October 2012.

Interview Details – Campus - job fair. Got an interview call. Lasted 50 minutes. Most of the questions were core systems questions and one coding question at the end. Started from interrupt handlers, to priority inversion to pipe-lining ,etc. Also asked about earlier projects, work experience. Asked synchronization problems like consumer producer and mutexes.

Interview Question – How would you implement semaphores / mutexes in interrupt handlers ? Should we implement mutexes in interrupt handlers ? Can we sleep an interrupt ?   Answer Question

Santa Clara, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at NVIDIA in April 2012.

Interview Details – I had two interviews, and both were on the phone. One interview was with a manager; second interview was with a software engineer. The manager asked me some high-level questions about my background, experience, and interests. The software engineer asked me a couple of (fairly simple) technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Given a page size and a number, align the number with the nearest page.

(Note: This was a phone interview question. The interviewer and I used an online document to share ideas about this problem.
      View Answers (5)
  • Implement memcpy.   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – The offer was very competitive; I didn't feel interested in negotiating.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Santa Clarita, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at NVIDIA in March 2012.

Interview Details – I only make it to the second phone interview. In the first phone interview, I was asked to write a short program. In the second phone interview, He asked several question about my resume.

Interview Questions

• write a function to set a particular field of register to the desired value. ( For example, set bit 3 - 10 of a word to the given value)   View Answers (2)
  • Say the program you are running has stack overflow. You want to know when and where this happens, but you don't want to use debuggers, because they slow. How would you do this?   View Answer

Santa Clara, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at NVIDIA in January 2012.

Interview Details – 2 phone interviews, 1 onsite

Interview Question – basic OS stuff, implementation of strstr & sprintf, interrupt handler, synchronization design   Answer Question

Santa Clara, CA

The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at NVIDIA in January 2011.

Interview Details – Interview process was okay. The process took abnormally long. The interviews in specific were interesting and a good experience. Focussed mainly on C.

Interview Question – Typical C stuff. Pointers, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Highly disappointing and discouraging. They need to streamline intern employment process.

Santa Clara, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at NVIDIA in October 2010.

Interview Details – My interview with Nvidia consisted of a phone interview, a programming test, being flown out for a day of interviews on-site, and then being flown back out to interview with a second team.

I applied for the job through a friend who works there. After interviewing with his manager I was asked to complete a programming question via e-mail within 30 minutes and send him the response. This question was designed to test my knowledge of memory management and the C programming language.

All arrangements were simple and handled over e-mail with the recruiting coordinator. They made a reservation for the rental car, hotel, and airline tickets, and I had to pay and submit the hotel and rental car for reimbursement along with gas and meal charges.

I interviewed with 7 people during my first trip out and was asked a variety of technical questions from programming, to systems architecture questions. I was also given a wide opportunity to learn about the company, the product I would be working on, and what the culture is like at Nvidia.

I was declined an offer from this team based primarily on the time frame that I would be available on and the fact that they were looking for someone to start almost immediately and to ramp up quickly, but I received an offer to interview with a second team within the company that was much more established.

For my second interview I met with 3 individuals from the new team and it was very similar to the first time. Plenty of technical questions and opportunity to ask about other aspects of the company.

I would highly recommend you be familiar with C, developing on multi-core systems, and have a very good base in UNIX systems programming.

Interview Questions

• Implement a linked list structure and insert routine in C.
    Make it thread safe.
      Answer Question
  • Implement a function for compare and swap in C. Use this function to implement linked list insertion. How could you take advantage of hardware caching to implement this.   Answer Question
  • Implement a reader-writer locking system.   Answer Question
  • Implement the function strstr which returns a pointer to the first occurrence of one string within another.   Answer Question
  • Implement a function that takes a list of signed integers and looks for the consecutive subset with the highest sum.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I declined the offer based on the fact that I had a similar offer from another company and I had overall heard better things about the on-boarding and ramp up experience with that company.

Santa Clara, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at NVIDIA in October 2008.

Interview Details – Largely C, bit manipulation, OS/memory, debugging related questions.

Pune (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at NVIDIA in July 2013.

Interview Details – The company people had come in our campus. They looked quite flexible with their dressing, communication and work culture. All they wanted was good people to work with. Also the HR told his experiences about the company.
At first we had a ppt showing what's the company all about and different sections. Then we had a MCQ test consisting of sections like C&C++,OS,DS and Quantitative Aptitude. Then followed by 3 technical rounds and a final HR round each of which lasted around 45 minutes to an hour.

Interview Question – An entire interview round of mine consisted of puzzles while other people were asked about OS.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – As new college graduates the offer was fixed. But yes we were asked that are we happy with the compensation and did the company meet the expectations. Well the compensation was well above average.

Systems Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at NVIDIA.

Interview Details – applied for a co-op position through the university. challenged with an initial phone screen, follow up phone interview with manager. have interviewed with various teams for this company and it seems there are random engineers who are asked to take on the interview process with no consistent areas of questioning, nor an understanding of the level of expertise offered.

Interview Question – how would you set a breakpoint within your code without a debugger eg. gdb
the engineer wasn't sure how to phrase the question correctly as he was looking for a concrete answer.
  Answer Question

Worked for NVIDIA? Contribute to the Community!