NVIDIA

Updated Nov 2, 2014

3.3

28 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Systems Software Engineer Interview

maze traversal and back tracking
how does a debugger work?
semaphores, mutex, spin locks
mutexes and spin locks in interrupts
top halves and bottom halves in interrupt
implement strlen function
count freq of characters
encoding chars into numbers for eg. abc -1 def -2 etc

why padding is needed in struct
difference between interrupt and exception

Other Interview Reviews for NVIDIA

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at NVIDIA in March 2014.

First is a phone screen, ask me about a Dynamic Programming problem. Such as there is a list contain some numbers less than 10, such as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.. but don't know how many. How can you find the biggest one. And when I finish, the man try to change the difficult level of this question such as if there are more than 100 number in this list, or if i define the number as a int, how can i do if the number bigger than the limit of int...seems he want to ask me until I cannot answer the question...

Systems Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at NVIDIA.

First HR contacted me, then there is the first phone interview asking project experience and background, with a simple string swapping question, explain virtual memory, later it's the second interview, asking project experience and background again, explain virtual memory again, simple lnked list add/remove question, then on-site interview, 6 interviewer, 45 minutes each, I explained my project experience 6 times, with algorithm, data structure, virtual memory, CPU cache, debugging questions.

Interview Questions
    • swap an extermely large integer array in bits, cannot use bit operation because too slow.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at NVIDIA in October 2012.

Campus - job fair. Got an interview call. Lasted 50 minutes. Most of the questions were core systems questions and one coding question at the end. Started from interrupt handlers, to priority inversion to pipe-lining ,etc. Also asked about earlier projects, work experience. Asked synchronization problems like consumer producer and mutexes.

Interview Questions
    • How would you implement semaphores / mutexes in interrupt handlers ? Should we implement mutexes in interrupt handlers ? Can we sleep an interrupt ?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at NVIDIA in April 2012.

I had two interviews, and both were on the phone. One interview was with a manager; second interview was with a software engineer. The manager asked me some high-level questions about my background, experience, and interests. The software engineer asked me a couple of (fairly simple) technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • Given a page size and a number, align the number with the nearest page.

(Note: This was a phone interview question. The interviewer and I used an online document to share ideas about this problem.
        View Answers (5)
    • Implement memcpy.   View Answers (2)
    The offer was very competitive; I didn't feel interested in negotiating.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clarita, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clarita, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at NVIDIA in March 2012.

I only make it to the second phone interview. In the first phone interview, I was asked to write a short program. In the second phone interview, He asked several question about my resume.

Interview Questions
    • write a function to set a particular field of register to the desired value. ( For example, set bit 3 - 10 of a word to the given value)   View Answers (2)
    • Say the program you are running has stack overflow. You want to know when and where this happens, but you don't want to use debuggers, because they slow. How would you do this?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at NVIDIA in January 2012.

2 phone interviews, 1 onsite

Interview Questions
    • basic OS stuff, implementation of strstr & sprintf, interrupt handler, synchronization design   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at NVIDIA in January 2011.

Interview process was okay. The process took abnormally long. The interviews in specific were interesting and a good experience. Focussed mainly on C.

Interview Questions
    Highly disappointing and discouraging. They need to streamline intern employment process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at NVIDIA in October 2010.

My interview with Nvidia consisted of a phone interview, a programming test, being flown out for a day of interviews on-site, and then being flown back out to interview with a second team.

I applied for the job through a friend who works there. After interviewing with his manager I was asked to complete a programming question via e-mail within 30 minutes and send him the response. This question was designed to test my knowledge of memory management and the C programming language.

All arrangements were simple and handled over e-mail with the recruiting coordinator. They made a reservation for the rental car, hotel, and airline tickets, and I had to pay and submit the hotel and rental car for reimbursement along with gas and meal charges.

I interviewed with 7 people during my first trip out and was asked a variety of technical questions from programming, to systems architecture questions. I was also given a wide opportunity to learn about the company, the product I would be working on, and what the culture is like at Nvidia.

I was declined an offer from this team based primarily on the time frame that I would be available on and the fact that they were looking for someone to start almost immediately and to ramp up quickly, but I received an offer to interview with a second team within the company that was much more established.

For my second interview I met with 3 individuals from the new team and it was very similar to the first time. Plenty of technical questions and opportunity to ask about other aspects of the company.

I would highly recommend you be familiar with C, developing on multi-core systems, and have a very good base in UNIX systems programming.

Interview Questions
    • Implement a linked list structure and insert routine in C.
      Make it thread safe.
        Answer Question
    • Implement a function for compare and swap in C. Use this function to implement linked list insertion. How could you take advantage of hardware caching to implement this.   Answer Question
    • Implement a reader-writer locking system.   Answer Question
    • Implement the function strstr which returns a pointer to the first occurrence of one string within another.   Answer Question
    • Implement a function that takes a list of signed integers and looks for the consecutive subset with the highest sum.   Answer Question

I declined the offer based on the fact that I had a similar offer from another company and I had overall heard better things about the on-boarding and ramp up experience with that company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at NVIDIA in October 2008.

Largely C, bit manipulation, OS/memory, debugging related questions.