NVIDIA

Updated Jan 13, 2015

3.3

30 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Systems Software Engineer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at NVIDIA.

Interview process is systemetic.
They hire fewer people and upon recruirement.
Openings at nvidia for juniour engineers are almost freezed throughout the year. But for seniour engineers they sometimes start reviewing applications but only upon extreme demanding situation while keeping interview process really tough.

Interview Questions
  • They mostly get into details of Operating system and bit manupulations.   Answer Question
I negotiated for increasing joining bonus. which was eventually offered.

Other Interview Reviews for NVIDIA

Systems Software Engineer Interview

maze traversal and back tracking
    how does a debugger work?
    semaphores, mutex, spin locks
    mutexes and spin locks in interrupts
    top halves and bottom halves in interrupt
    implement strlen function
    count freq of characters
    encoding chars into numbers for eg. abc -1 def -2 etc

why padding is needed in struct
    difference between interrupt and exception

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at NVIDIA in November 2014.

3 phone interview, 2 technical and 1 interpersonal with the hiring manager. First phone interviews technical question was to write a binary search tree class in C, it should implement insertions, deletions and search functions. Second interview technical question was to implement a clipping algorithm in pseudo-code that could handle more clip windows than were supported in hardware. Third interview had a number of personal and moral questions. Made it to the on-site. Was asked to write my own implementation of Tail in C, was asked to write an algorithm in C that would determine if a point lay within any polygonal bounding area, and was asked to write a function that could print any UTF string in reverse. Lunch interview where I was allowed to ask question about the company, and then a personal interview with HR and the hiring manager.

Interview Questions
    • Definitely the point contained within the bounding polygon. Was expecting to be asked a question about a point bound in a rectangle, but not bound by any polygon.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at NVIDIA in March 2014.

First is a phone screen, ask me about a Dynamic Programming problem. Such as there is a list contain some numbers less than 10, such as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.. but don't know how many. How can you find the biggest one. And when I finish, the man try to change the difficult level of this question such as if there are more than 100 number in this list, or if i define the number as a int, how can i do if the number bigger than the limit of int...seems he want to ask me until I cannot answer the question...

Systems Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at NVIDIA.

First HR contacted me, then there is the first phone interview asking project experience and background, with a simple string swapping question, explain virtual memory, later it's the second interview, asking project experience and background again, explain virtual memory again, simple lnked list add/remove question, then on-site interview, 6 interviewer, 45 minutes each, I explained my project experience 6 times, with algorithm, data structure, virtual memory, CPU cache, debugging questions.

Interview Questions
    • swap an extermely large integer array in bits, cannot use bit operation because too slow.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at NVIDIA in October 2012.

Campus - job fair. Got an interview call. Lasted 50 minutes. Most of the questions were core systems questions and one coding question at the end. Started from interrupt handlers, to priority inversion to pipe-lining ,etc. Also asked about earlier projects, work experience. Asked synchronization problems like consumer producer and mutexes.

Interview Questions
    • How would you implement semaphores / mutexes in interrupt handlers ? Should we implement mutexes in interrupt handlers ? Can we sleep an interrupt ?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at NVIDIA in April 2012.

I had two interviews, and both were on the phone. One interview was with a manager; second interview was with a software engineer. The manager asked me some high-level questions about my background, experience, and interests. The software engineer asked me a couple of (fairly simple) technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • Given a page size and a number, align the number with the nearest page.

(Note: This was a phone interview question. The interviewer and I used an online document to share ideas about this problem.

View Answers (5)
    • Implement memcpy.   View Answers (2)
    The offer was very competitive; I didn't feel interested in negotiating.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clarita, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clarita, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at NVIDIA in March 2012.

I only make it to the second phone interview. In the first phone interview, I was asked to write a short program. In the second phone interview, He asked several question about my resume.

Interview Questions
    • write a function to set a particular field of register to the desired value. ( For example, set bit 3 - 10 of a word to the given value)   View Answers (2)
    • Say the program you are running has stack overflow. You want to know when and where this happens, but you don't want to use debuggers, because they slow. How would you do this?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at NVIDIA in January 2012.

2 phone interviews, 1 onsite

Interview Questions
    • basic OS stuff, implementation of strstr & sprintf, interrupt handler, synchronization design   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at NVIDIA in January 2011.

Interview process was okay. The process took abnormally long. The interviews in specific were interesting and a good experience. Focussed mainly on C.

Interview Questions
    Highly disappointing and discouraging. They need to streamline intern employment process.