NYC Teaching Fellows Teaching Fellow Interview Questions

3.7

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at NYC Teaching Fellows (New York, NY) in October 2013.

Interview

I applied online for the position where I was asked to fill in an application and also to answer three questions that were posted on the website. After that, I was invited to a phone interview shortly after, then had to wait 4 weeks to hear back. They said they didn't have a position open for me currently and would get back to me in 6 weeks. They never did.

Interview Questions

• What do you consider to be a successful year as a teacher? How would you ensure that?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for NYC Teaching Fellows

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at NYC Teaching Fellows (New York, NY) in January 2012.

Interview

Initial application was submitted by the first "priority" deadline. It consisted of my resume, two essays and information about my undergraduate coursework. I also indicated preferences for content areas. After a month, I received notice I had been invited to interview.

My interview day consisted of a math test that asked us to analyze possible student responses to math problems and identify which were acceptable answers and reasoning. The math was basic but the test was timed and the questions sometimes needed to be read and reread. Overall, I finished with enough time to check over all my answers.

All interviewees had to prepare a 5 minute lesson. I had to present my lesson in front of the other 4 members of my interview group and 2 NYCTF selectors. Candidates were instructed to participate constructively but selectors asked questions that simulated normal misunderstandings that might happen in your average question.

One of my selectors was very calm and comfortable and set the group at ease but the other seemed quite nervous, ironically. She messed up while giving us instructions a few times, but was overall warm and friendly.

After our lesson presentations we had to prepare a small role play. They gave us a scenario and we had to make a presentation to the school board (or administration, can't recall) and try and gain support for our proposal. Working together to come up with the presentation was easy but our presentation way difficult because we had, I believe, only 3 or so minutes and there were five of us.

Finally, we had one-on-one interviews. I was the last in my group to go and I spoke to my selector for a few minutes after the "official" interview ended. After the interviews the selectors are required to write comments on each of us.

One month later I was notified that they were still considering my application and one month after that I was notified of my acceptance.

Interview Questions

• Before you enter the room for your personal interview, the selector gives everyone a card with feedback on their lesson and you need to redo the first minute of your demo lesson while implementing that feedback.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at NYC Teaching Fellows (New York, NY) in January 2012.

Interview

Extended interview involving: 1) Math assessment, 2) Demo lesson, 3) 1:1 Interview, 4) Group project/presentation 4)On demand essay writing task

Interview Questions

• How would you get an extremely unmotivated student to complete homework regularly?
      What does being a teacher mean to you?

Answer Question

Negotiation

DOE and teacher's union set the salary. Its not negotiable by employees.