NYU (New York University) Interview Questions

Updated Oct 9, 2014

2.6

General Consideratiom Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at NYU (New York University).

My first general consideration interview went quite well. I landed the interview through an employee referral. The interviewer was sweet and took time to help me edit my resume/CV to their standards. She really liked me and said to email her any time I find a position open so she can contact the people from the other schools as a recommendation. What she did when I actually emailed her was completely disingenuous. She told me she couldn't contact any of the other offices and that I would only be able to work as an administrative aide because even people with their Ph.D couldn't move ahead at NYU (absolute lie).

The second time I scheduled an interview with my college. The interviewer wanted me out of there in no more than 10 minutes. She flat out told that unless I knew someone within the university it was almost impossible for me to get a job.

Admissions Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at NYU (New York University).

Interview questions:
    1. what your idea of NYU.
    2.what NYU interest you?
    3.what are you passionate about
    4. time you failed
    5.most entrepreneurial experience
    6. what transition from your current opportunity.
    7.what other jobs are you considering?

Interview Questions
    • What is an example of adversity you have had to overcome?   Answer Question

Presentation Assistant Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at NYU (New York University).

Supervisor came up to me and asked if I'd like an internship. She said that she really needed help and she was looking to hire at least three students. She supposedly needed six students to be able to help her do her job. She said it would be a lot of busy, busy work. Interview was very standard and very quick. I finished the interview in less than 20 minutes. It was a cake walk.

Administrative Aide Interview

First stage was a basic phone call screen with HR. They ask about your background and resume. Then they schedule you for multiple rounds of in person interviews for a similar role in several different departments. You may have applied for a role with a specific dept but they'll bring you in and find that you are actually meeting with additional depts that are interested. (The admin aide role is very similar in most of the academic depts).

Interview Questions
    • Pretty straightforward but can get tricky prioritizing which dept you want to join because HR will stop considering you for the ones that are not your top choice even if you are on the fence.   Answer Question
    No room for negotiation at this level.

Graduate Assistant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at NYU (New York University).

Professor talked to me, and asked some basic coding questions about Java. And then, introduced his lab's current project. Then asked me that if there is one or more project that attracts you, I said yes I can do some coding work here I think.

Research Scientist Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at NYU (New York University).

There was no formal interview needed. I worked with the Professor for some period of months before being offered the position. I guess it was an open position looking for the right candidate and my skill sets fit and i was available.

Interview Questions
    I accepted the first offer.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at NYU (New York University) in August 2014.

2 interview: with HR and then PI on the same day. Person with HR very nice and professional, asked a lot on questions about background and checked general requirements for this position. Talk about salary (general), position of NYU in science world. PI very possessional, did not asked a lot of question, just went through your resume. Asked about your background, experience and relevance of your previous work to new position.

Student Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university – interviewed at NYU (New York University).

First she gave me a call, and spoke with me a little bit. Then, we set up a one on one. It was professional, but also very helpful. She gave me tips on how to best update my resume.

Human Resources Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at NYU (New York University).

I had a phone screen with an individual in HR. I was asked typical interview questions which were fine, except I was asked what the lowest salary i would accept was. I didn't really feel comfortable with that question or think it was appropriate.

I was contacted a few weeks later for an in person interview. When I arrived, no one greeted me and I waited 15 minutes before someone happened to walk by and asked if i needed help. I was supposed to meet with two individuals that day and found out when i arrived that they were out of the office. it seemed as though they had not communicated to anyone else that they'd be meeting with me that day in their place. I ended up meeting with a manager and a director, both of whom were very pleasant and professional.

I did not follow up after this interview because i felt that the environment was not a right fit for me.

Tisch Production TA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at NYU (New York University).

It was an on-campus work study position. I submitted my resume through Wasserman and was able to get an interview fairly quickly after that. I interviewed with the head of the Film & TV equipment operations person and also a supervisor at the department I specifically asked for.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about something you created from scratch that you are proud of.   Answer Question