NYU (New York University)
www.nyu.edu New York, NY 5000+ Employees

Very Difficult Interview

Assistant Director, Fiscal Affairs, Office of the Provost Interview

Assistant Director, Fiscal Affairs, Office of the Provost
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at NYU (New York University) in April 2011.

Interview Details – I submitted my application with resume and cover letter in February 2011. I was then contacted in mid-March for a phone interview for 30 minutes when I was asked a series of questions from the hiring manager. I was then invited to a 1:1 in-person interview with the hiring manager for a 45 minute interview. I was then asked to come back a couple weeks later for a series of interviews with 5 Directors and VP's which took a total of 2+hours. I was then asked to come back the next day for a 1.5 hour Excel and Writing test to prove my skills (I have an MBA from NYU, the hiring school). On the same day as the skills test, I had a conversation with the hiring manager during which time I asked for more detailed explanation of what my daily responsibilities would be, instead of answering the question, I was asked "Well are you going to take the job or not and if you do, are you gonna leave after 6 months which would bring us back to square 1." Alarmed by the hostility, I simply answered "I am still very much interested in the position but not knowing what the salary or benefits are, I would really need more information to take all things under consideration." I was then asked for 3 reference checks and after providing contact info for each, two and a half weeks later, I was told that my references would have to include my current manager even though I had not even received a job offer yet. After expressing that I cannot allow NYU to contact my current manager without an offer of employment, I was then emailed a job offer in May 2011 2+months after my initial phone interview in March 2011. When I asked if the salary and start date were negotiable (10% increase of offer salary and 1 week later of start date), instead of being told that the terms were not negotiable, the job offer was completely rescinded without explanation but the hiring manager made sure that I knew that a hard copy of the "rescission letter" would be sent to my home via USPS even though what had been the offer letter had only been emailed to me (not mailed) just 3 days earlier. I was never referred or given access to an HR PROFESSIONAL through this entire process. The manager who I would have reported directly to if I got the job was my only point of contact for employment negotiations. After taking 3 days out of my current job over the course of 2+months to interview with NYU and take excel/writing tests, I was given an offer of employment and 3 days later it was rescinded without explanation because I reasonably tried to negotiate my terms of employment. I am an NYU alumnus with an MBA from the Stern School of Business. I have never been treated with such disregard and have never wasted my time recruiting like this before.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 10 years?   View Answer
  • What are we gonna do if you take the job and leave in 6 months for something better?   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Payroll Director Interview

Payroll Director
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at NYU (New York University).

Interview Details – 3 interviews with finance, all wonderful.
Given offer letter by horrid HR department, recinded due to credit check.

Interview Questions

• Why does your Resume say you graduated in 19XX when you actually graduated one year later?   Answer Question
  • Why did your resume state you had 1500 employees at your previous job when it was actual 1460?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Offer recinded due to credit check. This was AFTER they had already given me an offer letter rather than before. So lucky i hadn't given notice!

Senior Analyst Interview

Senior Analyst
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at NYU (New York University) in October 2012.

Interview Details – I had a phone interview with the HR rep who asked basic questions. She advised that the process would take quite some time. I heard from the department director 2 weeks after to schedule an onsite interview.

The onsite interview start with the Director giving a presentation. Then she went through a booklet of behavioral questions categorized by topic (i.e. technical skills, customer focus, etc...).
This interview lasted approximately 1.5 hours.

I was invited back 1 month later for an interview with the hiring manager (who was recently hired). The interview seemed rush, and I had the impression from the start he had already selected his candidate.

Approximately 2 weeks later I received and email from the hiring manager letting me know I was not selected for the job. He offered to provide any references if I needed for future opportunities.

Interview Question – How do you handle working with someone who is not pulling their weight on the job?   Answer Question

Administrative Aide Interview

Administrative Aide
New York, NY

The process took 3 days - interviewed at NYU (New York University) in August 2007.

Interview Details – I was interviewed by phone to see if they wanted to bring me in -- this initial interview was intense and they asked a lot of questions like What was the hardest thing you ever had to deal with at work, how did you resolve it, etc. When I was brought in for live interviewing, they it was also really intense, and they posed a series of questions that basically tested my morals. For instance, she asked me what I would do if I found out one of my friends was going to put a downpayment on a house, but I knew from a friend in HR that she was going to be laid off. They hire less than one percent of online applicants, so they really do a good job of weeding out.

Interview Question – What is the one thing your past employer would say that you could improve?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – NYU has a set pay scale, so there isn't really much room to negotiate. What you interview for should have a pay grade, and from there you can check online how much it is.

Development Associate Interview

Development Associate
New York, NY

The process took 2 months - interviewed at NYU (New York University) in March 2011.

Interview Details – Interviewed here in 2011. Was strung along for two months and 5 interviews for two different positions. At the end of it all, they didn't even have the decency to inform me of their decision- I had to call the office numerous to get a hold of the HR manager who was dodging my calls.

Interview Question – They put you into a scenario where you are trying to get a high dollar donor to give money to the university. You play the development person and they play the donor.   Answer Question

Procurement Director Interview

Procurement Director
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at NYU (New York University) in March 2012.

Interview Details – Application was sent in January, heard nothing for 2 months, then suddenly a request for a phone screening interview from HR. I believe this person is a contractor, not a direct employee of NYU. Was told I would hear from Hiring Manager if he was interested, but no time line was available. Never heard anything back, almost 1 month later

Interview Question – If you could have any job in the world, what would it be?   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at NYU (New York University) in April 2011.

Interview Details – send your resume to professor's official email ID, have recommendation from somebody they know, if selected, appointment is scheduled, they ask you about your academic grades and experience, any previous job/projects and knowledge about their lab research. They screen for students who might stay longer as they don't have to train again and again.

Interview Question – why you didn't score A's on all classes?   Answer Question

Financial Aid Counselor Interview

Financial Aid Counselor
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at NYU (New York University).

Interview Details – phone interview, interview with managers, interview with directors

Interview Question – How do you handle stress?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I asked for a little more than offered and it was accepted.

MFA of Game Design Interview

MFA of Game Design
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at NYU (New York University) in March 2013.

Interview Details – The interview took about 50 minutes and covers all aspects of game and game design. Some of the questions were trying to dig out your potential of thinking as a game designer, not a player, and some other questions are about you as a person.

Interview Question – Probably which un-digital game is your favorite and why.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Nothing special.

Human Resources Administrator Interview

Human Resources Administrator
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at NYU (New York University) in February 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewed with Director and direct manager. Secondary with team member & Director. If not a position in HR, the timeline as communicated is adhered to. If you are looking for that HR position, the Director does not limit to the allotted time frame. Give yourself more time than communicated because it is likely that the interview will go beyond that.

Interview Question – What direct contributions have you made in the past that greatly improved the work for others, and how would you bring that to our team here?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate an additional $500. They generally offer below the budgeted range, so there is some wiggle room, but only by $1000 or so.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for NYU (New York University)? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NYU (New York University) interview questions and advice in New York City, NY. All 41 interview reviews posted anonymously by NYU (New York University) employees and interview candidates.