NYU (New York University) Interview Questions in New York City, NY

Updated Aug 18, 2015

2.7

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at NYU (New York University) (New York, NY) in April 2011.

Interview

I submitted my application with resume and cover letter in February 2011. I was then contacted in mid-March for a phone interview for 30 minutes when I was asked a series of questions from the hiring manager. I was then invited to a 1:1 in-person interview with the hiring manager for a 45 minute interview. I was then asked to come back a couple weeks later for a series of interviews with 5 Directors and VP's which took a total of 2+hours. I was then asked to come back the next day for a 1.5 hour Excel and Writing test to prove my skills (I have an MBA from NYU, the hiring school). On the same day as the skills test, I had a conversation with the hiring manager during which time I asked for more detailed explanation of what my daily responsibilities would be, instead of answering the question, I was asked "Well are you going to take the job or not and if you do, are you gonna leave after 6 months which would bring us back to square 1." Alarmed by the hostility, I simply answered "I am still very much interested in the position but not knowing what the salary or benefits are, I would really need more information to take all things under consideration." I was then asked for 3 reference checks and after providing contact info for each, two and a half weeks later, I was told that my references would have to include my current manager even though I had not even received a job offer yet. After expressing that I cannot allow NYU to contact my current manager without an offer of employment, I was then emailed a job offer in May 2011 2+months after my initial phone interview in March 2011. When I asked if the salary and start date were negotiable (10% increase of offer salary and 1 week later of start date), instead of being told that the terms were not negotiable, the job offer was completely rescinded without explanation but the hiring manager made sure that I knew that a hard copy of the "rescission letter" would be sent to my home via USPS even though what had been the offer letter had only been emailed to me (not mailed) just 3 days earlier. I was never referred or given access to an HR PROFESSIONAL through this entire process. The manager who I would have reported directly to if I got the job was my only point of contact for employment negotiations. After taking 3 days out of my current job over the course of 2+months to interview with NYU and take excel/writing tests, I was given an offer of employment and 3 days later it was rescinded without explanation because I reasonably tried to negotiate my terms of employment. I am an NYU alumnus with an MBA from the Stern School of Business. I have never been treated with such disregard and have never wasted my time recruiting like this before.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 10 years?   1 Answer
    • What are we gonna do if you take the job and leave in 6 months for something better?   1 Answer

Payroll Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at NYU (New York University) (New York, NY).

Interview

3 interviews with finance, all wonderful. Given offer letter by horrid HR department, recinded due to credit check.

Interview Questions

• Why does your Resume say you graduated in 19XX when you actually graduated one year later?   Answer Question
    • Why did your resume state you had 1500 employees at your previous job when it was actual 1460?   Answer Question

Offer recinded due to credit check. This was AFTER they had already given me an offer letter rather than before. So lucky i hadn't given notice!

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at NYU (New York University) (New York, NY).

Interview

Made me sit in some corner until hiring manager picked me up. Spent 3 minutes with me, and then accompanied me to another guy who was supposed to be some sort of senior in IT (he was a kid almost half my age). Kid bombarded me with all kind of NYU real-life scenarios that naturally I wasn't familiar with, followed by the question "so tell me, what would you have done?". Process lasted about one hour. Never heard back a single word from NYU.

Administrative Outreach Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at NYU (New York University) (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

It was long, confusing and boring. It was mainly, unprofessional. I spent one hour on the phone and another hour and a half in person. People who were hiring seemed very confused. The job wasn't actually that great, but they seemed to be hiring a president. Today, 5 months later, they still haven't hired someone for that position. New York University is something like Department of Motor Vehicles, but in a nicer neighborhood.

IT Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at NYU (New York University) (New York, NY).

Interview

There are three stages of the interview process: initial phone screening, first round of interviews, and second round of interview. The initial phone screening with HR rep was unnecessarily hostile and discouraging (since the HR rep knows nothing about the actual nature of the work). The first and second round of interviews were much more open and comfortable.

Resident Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at NYU (New York University) (New York, NY) in February 2014.

Interview

Long process, had to go through two Saturdays of four hour long workshops, create a program in your spare time, interview with another RA, go through an interview one on one with a Residence Hall Director or RHAD.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to do this job?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation

Administrative Aide Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NYU (New York University) (New York, NY) in March 2014.

Interview

I received a phone interview two weeks after applying online. The phone interview was very thorough an took an entire hour. They asked about all of my work experience and why I wanted to work for the university. They also asked many situational questions. I came in for an in person interview one week later. I met with multiple department heads and was asked for a writing sample on the spot.

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at NYU (New York University) (New York, NY) in October 2012.

Interview

I had a phone interview with the HR rep who asked basic questions. She advised that the process would take quite some time. I heard from the department director 2 weeks after to schedule an onsite interview. The onsite interview start with the Director giving a presentation. Then she went through a booklet of behavioral questions categorized by topic (i.e. technical skills, customer focus, etc...). This interview lasted approximately 1.5 hours. I was invited back 1 month later for an interview with the hiring manager (who was recently hired). The interview seemed rush, and I had the impression from the start he had already selected his candidate. Approximately 2 weeks later I received and email from the hiring manager letting me know I was not selected for the job. He offered to provide any references if I needed for future opportunities.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle working with someone who is not pulling their weight on the job?   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at NYU (New York University) (New York, NY) in April 2011.

Interview

send your resume to professor's official email ID, have recommendation from somebody they know, if selected, appointment is scheduled, they ask you about your academic grades and experience, any previous job/projects and knowledge about their lab research. They screen for students who might stay longer as they don't have to train again and again.

Development Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at NYU (New York University) (New York, NY) in March 2011.

Interview

Interviewed here in 2011. Was strung along for two months and 5 interviews for two different positions. At the end of it all, they didn't even have the decency to inform me of their decision- I had to call the office numerous to get a hold of the HR manager who was dodging my calls.

Interview Questions

• They put you into a scenario where you are trying to get a high dollar donor to give money to the university. You play the development person and they play the donor.   Answer Question