NYU (New York University)

www.nyu.edu

2.8

51 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Financial Aid Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at NYU (New York University).

phone interview, interview with managers, interview with directors

Interview Questions
    I asked for a little more than offered and it was accepted.

Student Employee At NYU Bookstore Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at NYU (New York University).

You may submit a simple job application online or in person. A few weeks later, the Bookstore will likely contact you for a short in person interview. The interview covers basic information such as your previous work experience, internships you may have had, and why you want to work at the Bookstore out of all of the other NYU departments you could pick from. Bring a current resume. The interview is short and to the point.

Student IT Support Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at NYU (New York University) in October 2013.

The Hiring process was very easy. I applied online for the job through university portal. I have sufficient knowledge for the job, so nothing was unexpected and the interview was just a formality.

Admissions Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at NYU (New York University) in August 2013.

They conducted a phone interview first. Make sure you have your resume next to you. They grill you from top to bottom so make sure you have explanations.

Interview Questions
    • The women who called was very nasty and mean. She made the interview very uncomfortable. She actually made me feel that every answer i gave her was not good enough.   Answer Question

IT Assistance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at NYU (New York University) in August 2013.

Applied via wasserman, set up a time; it was more a conversation than an interview. I didn't hear anything after a week so I emailed back to check up. Half an hour after I emailed him he called me said I got the job.

Interview Questions
    • Just be confident and seem friendly and interactive. It's an easy job but they want someone who seems like a good spirit and active worker   View Answer
    FLEXIBLE HOURS, shift can be as short as one hour, no negotiation on the salary tho; but it's easy money.

Adjunct Instructor of Writing for International Students Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at NYU (New York University) in July 2013.

Just one interview, on Skype.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was unexpected -- it was more the usual questions about teaching approach and so on.   View Answer
    No negotiations were possible on salary -- and there are no benefits.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at NYU (New York University) in June 2013.

I applied online and roughly a month later I was contacted via email to schedule a phone interview. When the day of the phone interview came, I sat by my phone and waited for the recruiter to call. She never called. After that I reached out to the recruiter by both email and telephone to see what happened, and ended up rescheduling the interview.

Now, one would think a recruiter who missed the first interview would not miss the rescheduled interview, right? Wrong. This recruiter totally did not call me on the scheduled day, but instead called me two days later. Since I really needed the job I ended up doing the phone interview at the unscheduled time (which I should add was difficult because it was during a time I really couldn’t talk on the phone for an interview). The phone interview questions were pretty basic. They were things like: “Why do you want to work for NYU?”; “Tell me about your background.”; “What are your salary requirements?”; etc. After the phone interview, I was asked to come in and do an in person interview. I accepted and headed to NYU a week later for the interview.

Overall, I would say the interview went ok. A junior/mid level analyst interviewed me for the financial analyst position I applied to. It was a one-on-one interview that lasted roughly 20 minutes. I guess my biggest complaint about the interview was that the guy interviewing me didn’t seem to have a lot of experience conducting interviews. He seemed nervous while talking to me and also seemed like he didn’t know what types of questions to ask me. In fact, now that I think about it, a lot of the questions he asked seemed really random and totally unconnected to the position I was applying for. I’ve been on a lot of other financial analyst interviews recently, and usually I am asked questions like “How do you handle budget inconsistencies?” or “What types of financial controls have you worked with in the past?” This guy was asking things like “What class would you take if you could take any class?” and “Do you like to travel?” In sum, very few of the questions I was asked were actually questions that would measure and determine my ability to perform the tasks of this position.

Once I left the interview, I received a computer generated rejection email several weeks later letting me know I did not get the job. There was no reason given as to why I did not get the job in the email.

Lastly, I want to mention one useful thing for others who may interview with NYU. It seemed to me that NYU really emphasizes that you must have previous experience using their proprietary software. I think this is completely unrealistic. In my interview, I mentioned that while I didn’t have experience using their exact software, I have had experience and training using very similar software. The interviewer seemed concerned that I didn’t have this exact experience. Also, I was asked if I could use Excel during this interview. This is such a dumb question, but one you should be prepared for. I guess the point I’m trying to make here is that they are really, really picky about finding an exact match for the technical skills they’re looking for and they place significant value on having exact experience that matches the job duties.

Interview Questions
    • What class would you take at NYU if you could take any class here?   Answer Question

Office Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at NYU (New York University).

As a full-time student, I submitted my application on NYU career net but never heard back. So I went the office directly and handed my resume to the director. She contacted couple days later and set up an interview time. The interview lasted for an hour and questions are very general. She is very nice as well.

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at NYU (New York University).

Was interviewed by two people at the same time. Interviewers spent a lot of time explaining their requirements and expectations

Interview Questions
    • Very straightforward questions, nothing that I didn't expect. No technical questions.   Answer Question
    Asked me what was my minimum and met it.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at NYU (New York University) in March 2013.

Getting a research assistant job was a smooth and easy process. My professor in the economics department asked me a few questions about my interests in development economics. After a small discussion, he figured I'd be a good fit, and therefore I took the offer.