NYU (New York University)

www.nyu.edu
  www.nyu.edu

NYU (New York University) Research Analyst Interview Questions

2.0

2 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at NYU (New York University) in May 2011.

Interview process had a phone screening and then a half day event with several interviews in a row. A wide range of topics were touched. The interviews were very casual and involved quite a bit of small talk and chatting.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for NYU (New York University)

Research Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at NYU (New York University) in January 2012.

I applied for a position at NYU and was promptly contacted by a recruiter. We scheduled a phone interview for the following week after several days of waiting for her to get back to me. She called me about 30 minutes late, but was nice enough to email me after the first 15 minutes to tell me she was running behind.
    It took about 45 minutes, during which time I was very explicit about the salary range I'd be willing to accept. I was coming from several states away and had to take time off work, pay for travel and lodging and didn't want to waste their time or my own money. NYU has pay bands (which are not displayed on their website) and the one for this job said "pending" so getting a salary range out of the recruiter was like pulling teeth. I feel they should have been more transparent about this- you cannot advertise a job in the most expensive city in the world and not disclose the salary range.

6 weeks went by and no news, then out of the blue, I get an interview request from the director of the department. I took 2 days off work, took the train down, booked a room, and showed up. The interview itself was pleasant enough, and I really enjoyed meeting the team and seeing how their office was structured.

However, the interviewer kept referring to a number of open positions on their site and when I asked him to clarify that I was there for the senior position (the only one I'd applied for) he said he was interviewing me for all of them, not necessarily the position I'd applied for. I mentioned my conversation with the recruiter and he looked surprised- I'm not sure if this was a gross miscommunication between the two of them or if this was simply their hiring process. I understand that this is a large university, but this level of disorganization would be totally unacceptable in most workplaces.

I wouldn't want to work for them after this- I feel as though I wasted money just to be interviewed for a job I explicitly stated that I wasn't interested in. I'm not sure if the recruiter has quotas she needs to meet, but I feel she was incredibly shady and irresponsible. If you're coming from out of town, be sure to get everything about the interview in writing before you head out. Additionally, they appear to be having an exceptionally high percentage of turnover and repeatedly asked me about my work ethic and how I worked under pressure-which is all code for "we will work you to death without paying you overtime." I hope this was just a reflection of the specific office I applied to work in and not the school as a whole-they seem to be one of the largest employers in NYC and something else might open up someday.

It should be noted that I have a great job where I am, but was looking to move out of state to be closer to my family. If you're unemployed or looking to make an immediate change, I'm sure all of this would have been easy to look past.

Interview Questions