Nalco Interview Questions

Updated Jul 30, 2015

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vernon, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Nalco (Vernon, CT) in June 2015.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me via LinkedIn. Same day we talked on the phone, and agreed on an official phone interview next day. Phone interview went well, was told I would hear about the next step that week. It took an entire month to hear anything, and all follow-up was ignored by the recruiter. I had given up on the job when a local manager called me to schedule an interview...THAT DAY. Well, I was at work, dirty and poorly dressed, but the manager insisted we meet after work, so I agreed. As soon as I showed up, I was lectured on my poor dress. Politely, I remind the manager that it was his insistence on meeting immediately that prevented me from cleaning up. "First impressions are a choice" he cryptically responded. Okay, whatever. He asks me about my career, and slowly warms to me. "I had no hope for you at the beginning of the interview," he eventually says to my face (I guess I'm glad for the honesty?), "but now I think you have potential." He proceeds to explain to me that they are in a rush to hire quality candidates (even though, you know, it took them a month to call me back). In such a rush, in fact, that he wants me to come on a ride-along for a day...in two weeks, after his vacation. Couldn't be in that much of a rush, I guess. So, I am asked - actually, commanded - to call him in two Mondays. I confirm, Monday the 13th. He agrees. Monday rolls around, I call his number, it goes to voicemail. I leave my information. No response. Wednesday afternoon, still haven't heard anything, I call again. Straight to voicemail this time. A new message. Next Monday - maybe he gave me the wrong date? - and again, voicemail. As of today, the 29th, I have not heard back. Guess they aren't in that much of a rush. Then again, after such rudeness, bossiness, and unprofessional, haphazard interview process, I probably dodged a bullet.

Interview Questions

• Were you in the service? Was anyone in your family in the service.   1 Answer

Credit Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Nalco (Naperville, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

Applied online and within a week I got a response. I had a phone screen a few days later. I passed the phone screen and had a 2 hour interview in Naperville in 2 sessions. First session was with 2 managers and 2nd session was with another manager and director. Rejection came about a week later. The job was posted in December which should have been a red flag that they are picky. Or they aren't sure what they are doing. Also be warned they have credit in Naperville and Credit in Minnesota. Sooner or later companies usually consolidate.

Interview Questions

• Standard questions about your strengths   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Nalco (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Interview with potential manager, field ride with rep, interview with VP. Everything went well until the interview with the VP. The manager and I were ahead of the game in the interview process, and when I spoke to the VP, the job was recently posted. Per company standards, they like to see more candidates before making a final decision. I am still in the running for the position, it is just going to take another month or so for them to interview more candidates.

Interview Questions

• Why did you leave your last position?   1 Answer

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Nalco in November 2014.

Interview

I my headhunter,Bradley-Morris INC., secured an interview with Nalco chemical at their Providence, RI conference for the position of account manger within their water division in the Greater Hartford, CT area. The interview was approximately 45 minutes in length and was conduct in a hotel suite. The interview was a one on one with the area manger and had a conversational feel. The interview itself left me feeling confused about their level of interest, the job itself, and what i should expect next. By the end of the day I was informed that they were interested in continuing the hiring process. The next step being a one day job shadow of a current account manger in order to allow; me to assess my desire to serve in that capacity, and the account manager to determine if I was a fit. After one week I was contacted by my representative stating that they were working out the details and I should expect further instruction within the next week. That is my current status.

Interview Questions

• What sibling are you closest with? What would they say they like about you most and least?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I have not recieved an offer yet, as i am still in the process, but if I do I project that I will accept.

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nalco.

Interview

Had to jump through a lot of hoops. 2 phone interviews, 3 face to face interviews, and an unpaid workday. It was a pleasant experience and was always kept informed of next steps. Just a lot of interviews.

Interview Questions

• What do you think from this interview would make me hesitate from hiring you?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There wasn't much negotiation allowed. It was a take it or leave it type of situation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Nalco (Phoenix, AZ) in August 2014.

Interview

Interview process took 3 months with a recruiter. Completed the phone interviews, in person interviews, and the ride along. If you like sleeping 4 nights away from home, traveling 99.99% of the time to reach your customers spread out all over the state of Arizona, then this job is for you. There is no work/life balance, so you have to ask your self - "How long can I keep this up?"

Interview Questions

• No technical questions. Just your basic behavior questions you have already answered at other job interviews - Are you competitive? How are you at handling rejection? Describe a time you failed. Explain your life choices (school, jobs). What accomplishments are your proud of? Why haven't other employers hired you by now? What are you weaknesses? Why NALCO?   Answer Question

Manager Financial Analyst Projects Interview

Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Nalco (Naperville, IL).

Interview

The first interview was over the phone with someone from HR. It was definitely just a checklist on their end, no actual talk about the job. I then heard back the next day to schedule an in-person interview asap, and they were very understanding and flexible as I was currently working elsewhere. The in-person interview lasted 1.5 hours, 45 minutes with 2 separate people. Then another in-person interview a few days later with the same people plus 45 minutes with a director. Everyone was so nice, the interviews felt more like conversations with a few typical interview questions thrown in the mix.

Interview Questions

• No difficult or unexpected questions. Very typical questions like "name your strengths/weaknesses", and "how would you handle this particular situation".   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Nalco (Chicago, IL) in June 2014.

Interview

4 interviews, 2 Ride Alongs with different levels of management. Positive Experience with the District level management and reps. Senior level management were more abrasive and generally seemed to be a little bitter about previous hire that did not work out.

Interview Questions

• Asked to justify why I made each decision in my professional and student career going back through high school (at age 30).   Answer Question

Accelerated Sales Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Nalco.

Interview

The interview process consisted of 8 half hour interviews, speed dating style. Eight candidates are interviewed all at once individually for that half hour. Although there were many interviews, time went by pretty fast. The interviews did begin to get a little repetitive towards the end.

Interview Questions

• Overall most questions were behavioral questions and questions about resume. A lot of questions about competitiveness.   Answer Question

Senior CHEMIST Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fresno, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Nalco (Fresno, TX) in February 2014.

Interview

Applied online. Had a phone interview which was followed by an onsite interview. Gave a technical presentation, which was followed by a roundtable discussion with multiple managers, the met with other employees. Interview went well. Was offered the job and was asked, would you accept this salary? Had two weeks to think about it. Accepted salary, then offer was withdrawn without explanation.