Nalco Interview Questions

Updated Jun 16, 2015

3.2

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nalco.

Interview

Got a message on LinkedIn expressing interest based on my profile (1-2 years engineering experience). Got in touch and was given a synopsis of the company and the job details the same day. Next day got another email scheduling a phone interview. This hiring rep was very personable during "chats", but turned extremely monotone during the interview and seemed to only listen to my answers for keywords, forgetting most of my answer. This isn't particularly unusual, but still frustrating in a phone interview. He then expressed interest in continuing the hiring process, and said I would be contacted for a face-to-face interview with the regional manager in the next few days. After a week w/o any contact, I sent an email back to the phone interviewer to ask about an update. After very quick responses all through the hiring process, he has now not responded for another 4 days. Not sure where I stand, though obviously it doesn't look good. Very bizarre way to end what initially looked like a promising opportunity If I'm not a good candidate or my phone interview was poorly received, why tell me I'm advancing in the hiring process? If I am ever eventually advanced to the manager interview, this 2-week wait after being told it would take a few days (and being ignored after my inquiry) leaves a very poor impression. Either way, this is one of the least professional experiences I've had during my 6 years in the industry.

Interview Questions

• What was a time, outside of work, when you set a goal for yourself, and how did you go about accomplishing that goal? Were you successful?   Answer Question

Credit Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Nalco (Naperville, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

Applied online and within a week I got a response. I had a phone screen a few days later. I passed the phone screen and had a 2 hour interview in Naperville in 2 sessions. First session was with 2 managers and 2nd session was with another manager and director. Rejection came about a week later. The job was posted in December which should have been a red flag that they are picky. Or they aren't sure what they are doing. Also be warned they have credit in Naperville and Credit in Minnesota. Sooner or later companies usually consolidate.

Interview Questions

• Standard questions about your strengths   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Nalco (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Interview with potential manager, field ride with rep, interview with VP. Everything went well until the interview with the VP. The manager and I were ahead of the game in the interview process, and when I spoke to the VP, the job was recently posted. Per company standards, they like to see more candidates before making a final decision. I am still in the running for the position, it is just going to take another month or so for them to interview more candidates.

Interview Questions

• Why did you leave your last position?   1 Answer

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Nalco in November 2014.

Interview

I my headhunter,Bradley-Morris INC., secured an interview with Nalco chemical at their Providence, RI conference for the position of account manger within their water division in the Greater Hartford, CT area. The interview was approximately 45 minutes in length and was conduct in a hotel suite. The interview was a one on one with the area manger and had a conversational feel. The interview itself left me feeling confused about their level of interest, the job itself, and what i should expect next. By the end of the day I was informed that they were interested in continuing the hiring process. The next step being a one day job shadow of a current account manger in order to allow; me to assess my desire to serve in that capacity, and the account manager to determine if I was a fit. After one week I was contacted by my representative stating that they were working out the details and I should expect further instruction within the next week. That is my current status.

Interview Questions

• What sibling are you closest with? What would they say they like about you most and least?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I have not recieved an offer yet, as i am still in the process, but if I do I project that I will accept.

Applications Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Nalco.

Interview

Had to jump through a lot of hoops. 2 phone interviews, 3 face to face interviews, and an unpaid workday. It was a pleasant experience and was always kept informed of next steps. Just a lot of interviews.

Interview Questions

• What do you think from this interview would make me hesitate from hiring you?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There wasn't much negotiation allowed. It was a take it or leave it type of situation.

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Nalco (Phoenix, AZ) in August 2014.

Interview

Interview process took 3 months with a recruiter. Completed the phone interviews, in person interviews, and the ride along. If you like sleeping 4 nights away from home, traveling 99.99% of the time to reach your customers spread out all over the state of Arizona, then this job is for you. There is no work/life balance, so you have to ask your self - "How long can I keep this up?"

Interview Questions

• No technical questions. Just your basic behavior questions you have already answered at other job interviews - Are you competitive? How are you at handling rejection? Describe a time you failed. Explain your life choices (school, jobs). What accomplishments are your proud of? Why haven't other employers hired you by now? What are you weaknesses? Why NALCO?   Answer Question

Manager Financial Analyst Projects Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Nalco (Naperville, IL).

Interview

The first interview was over the phone with someone from HR. It was definitely just a checklist on their end, no actual talk about the job. I then heard back the next day to schedule an in-person interview asap, and they were very understanding and flexible as I was currently working elsewhere. The in-person interview lasted 1.5 hours, 45 minutes with 2 separate people. Then another in-person interview a few days later with the same people plus 45 minutes with a director. Everyone was so nice, the interviews felt more like conversations with a few typical interview questions thrown in the mix.

Interview Questions

• No difficult or unexpected questions. Very typical questions like "name your strengths/weaknesses", and "how would you handle this particular situation".   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Nalco (Chicago, IL) in June 2014.

Interview

4 interviews, 2 Ride Alongs with different levels of management. Positive Experience with the District level management and reps. Senior level management were more abrasive and generally seemed to be a little bitter about previous hire that did not work out.

Interview Questions

• Asked to justify why I made each decision in my professional and student career going back through high school (at age 30).   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Nalco.

Interview

The interview process consisted of 8 half hour interviews, speed dating style. Eight candidates are interviewed all at once individually for that half hour. Although there were many interviews, time went by pretty fast. The interviews did begin to get a little repetitive towards the end.

Interview Questions

• Overall most questions were behavioral questions and questions about resume. A lot of questions about competitiveness.   Answer Question

Senior CHEMIST Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fresno, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Nalco (Fresno, TX) in February 2014.

Interview

Applied online. Had a phone interview which was followed by an onsite interview. Gave a technical presentation, which was followed by a roundtable discussion with multiple managers, the met with other employees. Interview went well. Was offered the job and was asked, would you accept this salary? Had two weeks to think about it. Accepted salary, then offer was withdrawn without explanation.