Namco Bandai Games America

3.3

Interviews for Top Jobs at Namco Bandai Games America

Brand Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Namco Bandai Games America.

This was the most drawn out interview process - I had one phone interview and three onsite interviews over the span of several months. I was also tasked with doing a case and had two days to complete it. The Hiring Manager told me that it was down to me and another candidate. It has now been over 4 weeks and I have not received any notification or a response to my follow-up email.

I took three days off from my current job (one day off for each onsite interview) plus spent an inordinate amount of time writing the case response -- only to hear absolutely nothing back from the company. It's been an incredibly disappointing interview experience to say the least. If this is any indication of how they treat prospective employees, I can't help but wonder how they treat current employees.

Interview Questions
    • The questions weren't all that difficult, but I did get a case question.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Namco Bandai Games America in October 2014.

I applied online and had a phone screen with the hiring manager relatively quickly. The call went well and I was asked to come in for an on-site interview.

The on-site interview was comprised of 30 minute segments with members of the current team, some from outside the team and the usual HR segment. The schedule was really compressed and we ended up going past the 30 minute mark for most of the scheduled parts of the interview. I thought it went well based on comments the interview team made but there wasn't what I would consider to be a deep technical dive. Most on the interview team would ask a question about something on my resume with no further follow up to my answer and then move to the next question. There was no written programming test nor any kind of problem solving questions as I experienced with other on-site interviews and which I make sure to have when my teams in the past are doing the interviewing. The HR rep seemed the most prepared with written questions on people management scenarios and making notes.

I was told they would try to get back to me in about a week after the interview. I did my first follow up in a week and a day and they said they were still in process. At the 3 week mark I following up again and was told they were still interviewing. Now approaching 2 months I tried again for some update just to wrap things up but didn't receive any response at all after several days. I don't mind not getting the job but it's frustrating for them to not be able to give a "no" in a reasonable timeframe and to also go silent without replying.

Interview Questions
    • I got a few odd questions from one interviewer about current topics in the news relating to finance and international events. With less than 30 minutes for our part of the interview, I hoped he would ask some technical deep dive questions, problem solving or whiteboard work.   Answer Question

QA Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Namco Bandai Games America in February 2011.

A QA Lead was needed for our department. With my years of QA experience and my roles as a Lead and Supervisor at other jobs I acquired the position.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were what I expected. I suppose the hardest question was how to deal with employees in a hostile environment since it varies from case to case.   View Answer
    No negotiation occurred. The pay upgrade with benefits was all I was seeking.

QA Tester Tester Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Namco Bandai Games America in February 2011.

Namco contracts all their QA tester positions to local staffing agencies. If you don't mind the low $11 wages, and the low-respected grunt work and arrogance of the supervisors, take it. For college graduates, I recommend steering clear.

The QA tester positions are usually posted on job networks such as craigslist. You submit your resume to the e-mail on file, and if the staffing agency is interested, then they'll give you a call to set up an interview with them. You'll do a grammar and spelling test and need to score at least an 85% on it. If you do, they will submit your profile to Namco and once Namco responds, they set up an interview with Namco(usually the next day.)

The interview with Namco themselves is a bit intimidating. You'll be interviewed by two supervisors who like to will test your memory on what their names were when they first introduced themselves, and ask you to memorize a magazine page for 30 seconds and answer questions on what you recalled from it. They'll ask you if you are willing to work overtime on a regular basis, and the usual...

If you are offered employment, don't get too excited. What they don't mention in the interview/nor the staffing company mentions that the first week(training week) is a "tryout" period to see whether you're cut out to be a QA tester. Even if you show up to work on time, do a good job, you still may not make the cut. Knowing this, don't tell too many people that you found a job because you'll look foolish if you end up not making it.

They have a limited number of database machines that you will use to report bugs. The 5 computers that they do have run on pentium 3 processors and date back to the 90s. During training week, you'll be testing on a Playstation 2 console. The vibe overall is pretty cool, the people are nice(95% male), however the supervisors are quite condescending and LOVE to make you feel stupid, whenever they can.

During training week, they threatened to fire us every single day if the quality of our bugs were not up to par/if we were late or if we checked e-mail during work hours. If you don't mind the abuse, given the economy, give it a shot. For college graduates, I'd recommend trying longer with companies that will pay you the money you deserve for your four year degree.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think your memory ability is from a scale of 1 to 10?....Do you mind if we put that to the test?   View Answer
    • What was the most recent game you beat on a console? What was the hardest part of the game, and how did you get through it?   Answer Question
    Because they only contract QA positions with staffing companies, you are stuck with the $11 an hour.

Games Tester Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Namco Bandai Games America in March 2010.

I found a listing on Craigslist for a Game QA Tester. It was listed by a staffing agency called Wired Talent. **Quick 411 on most Game Tester jobs: Most game tester jobs are staffed by staffing agencies, such as Wired Talent, Nelson Company, West Valley, etc... They are the ones who are truly employed with and are not officially employed with the company that you are performing the job duties for.** After applying via Craigslist with my resume and cover letter. I quickly received a phone call within a matter of 30-45mins. We briefly chatted about the position and my experience. The recruiter was satisfied and said they would be sending me a test. It was a spelling and grammar test - she mentioned that this is an extremely important skill that these companies look for. I was sent the test and completed it along with paper work they needed. I was informed that I would eventually receive word about an on-site interview. By the following day I was scheduled for an on-site interview at Namco Bandai Games America. They provided me with sample questions, and a few things to expect from the interview. The interview was fairly simple, about 45mins (though I extended it to close to an hour with questions). Again command of the English language is very important and having strong spelling/grammar skills are key. Also having a strong background in playing video games of all types and genres and across all platforms. After the interviewed I was informed that it may take a couple of weeks before a decision was made. The following day I was informed by my agency recruiter that an offer was being extended to me. **Note this is strictly a contract temporary position as most QA testing jobs are** I verbally accepted the offer over the phone and the rest of the documentation was sent my way. I had an on-site meeting with my agency recruiter, along with a few other people that were hired. We reviewed some things and filled out paper work.

Now the real kicker. My start date was a couple of weeks away and the first week was a paid training week. What I did not know was that during the training week - anyone could be cut/let go at a moments notice. The training was fairly strict, but it was informative. If someone was cut, it was because they truly were not competent enough for the job. As long as you can follow directions and learn quickly - you will do fine. Just understand that though Game Testing sounds fun, it is serious business. It is a fun job, but you have to still be professional to succeed. After the week of training, I was offered my badge and became part of the video game industry.

Interview Questions
    • Take a minute to describe to us on paper a simple object located within the room (without obviously stating the name of the object). This description must be concise, yet descriptive enough for a person on the other side the world who has never been within this room - to understand and envision what you have described.   View Answer
    Negotiations are off limits due to the position being staffed by a staffing agency. I hear if you have been with the agency long enough, there may be a chance to negotiate a raise.

Localization Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Namco Bandai Games America in November 2008.

My interview process first started by receiving a call from HR and going through a preliminary list of questions to know if I was seriously interested in the job. I had the good fortune of "stumbling" across this job, so I was not too desperate to appease. I thought I'd go along with it, get some interview experience, and leave the rest up to fate.
    I was sent a translation test to do at home, which I submitted and passed.
    Just a few weeks later, I was interviewed over the phone in Japanese by the two managers of the localization department. It was basically a skills test for spoken Japanese. I was nervous as heck, but managed to do well enough for them to invite me up for a series of face-to-face interviews on-site. I was amazed that they flew me up from SoCal up to the Bay Area, but then again, I hadn't had much work experience up until then. I did an on-site translation test, relying on an electronic dictionary, and then was interviewed by all members of the localization department--about 6 people total. Conversations took place in English and Japanese, and were very relaxed.
    Another week later, I got the acceptance call and I excitedly agreed.

Interview Questions
    • What was the toughest thing you had to deal with on the job?   View Answer
    I did not need to negotiate because I was happy with the offer. I only negotiated the time that I would start. I preferred to put it off as long as possible, because I was expecting some changes to take place in the family, but they were not able to wait as long as I wanted. Still, it was nice to have some time to relax.

Marketing Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Namco Bandai Games America in June 2009.

Phone interview with two managers in the Marketing department. They were very impersonal and gave little guidance on the questions. Be prepared for "case" like questions: Here is a hypothetical product (game) and the general audience (women 30-35). How would you promote it, given an unlimited budget. Think quickly on your feet!