Nanyang Technological University

Average Difficulty
8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Research Fellow

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Nanyang Technological University.

Interview Details – Phone Interview and questions were related to research work. Expectations for the project was discussed. In general, the interview was fine but only because my area of expertise matched with the project.
Took almost 4 months from the interview date till receiving the official offer.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. It is better to discuss with the hiring person first rather than wait for the offer. NTU has a strict guideline for research staff salary.

Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Nanyang Technological University.

Interview Details – For research positions, they are on project to project basis. The discretion is given to the PI (Principle Investigators) to hire based on their projected budget. Your salary is pretty much fixed within a range unless you have exceptional skills that is required by the project.

Interviews for the RF position is often more of understanding how you can fit with the project and the ability to carry out the research independently and manage the project for the PIs. You are required to have a lot of discipline and ability to carry out work without much supervision. And that is the key to getting hired in any research

Interview Question – How do you think you can contribute to this project?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't much to negotiate as your salary is limited by how much budget the research project has

Singapore (Singapore)

I applied in-person and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Nanyang Technological University in January 2014.

Interview Details – The initial communication is well and quite easy.
There is only on interviewer, which is the supervisor and Professor in NTU.
The questions are quite relative to the requirements in website.
English is easy to understand.
The following steps are medical examination, register in NUT human resource, working in lab.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Research Fellow

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Nanyang Technological University in August 2011.

Interview Details – I was fairly easy. The professor already wanted to hire me before the interview so he only asked me briefly about my experiences and all the information he needed to fill out his interview form. After that, I was offered the job in the next few days. The whole hiring process is pretty simple and efficient.

Negotiation Details – The salary depends on the project's funding. The university also set a minimum barrier. There is not much you can negotiate as the funding is normally very tight.

Singapore (Singapore)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Nanyang Technological University in February 2010.

Interview Details – My previous boss recommended me to my current boss (both are colleagues), so I got the interview. The interview process itself was straightforward. I described my expertise and they matched with the requirements of the position. There was not much negotiations on the benefits, since the salary was from a research fund (hence fixed and limited amount of money allocated).

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected or difficult question   Answer Question

Interviewed at Nanyang Technological University

Interview Details – email

Negotiation Details – variable, need to negotiate with your supervisor

Singapore (Singapore)

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nanyang Technological University in December 2008.

Interview Details – get called directly from supervisor. I was not in Singapore at that time, so there was only a phone interview. various questions were asked including basic and advanced questions. questions were all related to the project. so there is no direct comparison for different interviews. asked to provide 3 published papers to prove the ability.

Interview Question – describe one major contribution of the published paper   Answer Question

Research Fellow

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Nanyang Technological University in October 2008.

Interview Details – the phone interview took about 1 hour. the interview questions were not very easy. i was firstly asked to describe my previous research experiences. then i was asked to point out the relationship with my previous experience and the research fellow position that i was applying. i was tested on some questions on dsp, programming as well.

Interview Question – why jpeg2000 use dwt?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Nanyang Technological University

Worked for Nanyang Technological University? Contribute to the Community!