National Cancer Institute

Updated Oct 13, 2014

2.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at National Cancer Institute.

Sent references, CV and statement of interest. Had a quick phone interview and then an in person presentation. Offered job on the spot.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at National Cancer Institute in February 2013.

Found opening via LinkedIn (NIH discussion group) and submitted CV to PI directly. The PI contacted me within 2 days, followed by a Skype interview. That went well, so I was invited to give a talk about my dissertation in the Bethesda campus. I also interviewed with the department chairperson and had a chance to interact with the other fellows in the lab. It was a good fit, so the PI gave a job offer within the week, pending my recommendation letters (from thesis advisers, previous lab manager, etc.).

Interview Questions
    • It was detailed questions regarding my dissertation project.   Answer Question
    No negotiations (this is a postdoctoral fellowship).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frederick, MD

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at National Cancer Institute in May 2012.

I contacted first a Senior Researcher and she invited me to apply for a position. Everithing was easy and the paperwork process is running.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you looking for career opportunities at this time?   Answer Question
    • Please explain any gaps in your employment history.   Answer Question
    If you have been invited by some Senior Researcher, everything gets easy. They will open a position for you (if it already doesn't exist), and will ask you to apply. After that, the paperwork process starts.

CRTA Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at National Cancer Institute in March 2011.

Initial phone interview and then an in person interview with the PI. Met more of the people after I was accepted, and I had accepted the offer. People were relaxed and very nice.

Student Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frederick, MD

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at National Cancer Institute in February 2011.

Applied as high school junior. mentors call you in for interviews. you rate your interviews and preference them, and each mentor does the same with the students he/she interviewed.

Interview Questions
    • Interview is a lot more informational. Try to relate to, show interest or understanding of the work the lab is doing.   Answer Question
    No negotiations. Too early in career and never thought about it

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at National Cancer Institute in June 2010.

I was interviewed by five tenure(d) investigators/staff scientists and each of them discussed their research interests/experiences at the National Institute of Health. They also were a bit more personal and described their life outside the office (e.g. how it was to live in DC, etc.) It was less of an interview, more of a meet and greet situation. It seems their interviews are not very vigorous, in general, because I've observed a few new interviewees go through similar interview processes since working here.

Interview Questions
    There was very little room for negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at National Cancer Institute in June 2010.

I applied for the position via email and i was called for a personal interview. After the interview the principal investigator invited me to give a talk on my previous work. A week after the presentation i was offered the job

EASY

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at National Cancer Institute in October 2009.

To apply for the position I submitted CV and cover letter and then had an interview with my direct report. The interview covered my research experiences, training, and future career goals. It was very helpful to come with ideas for the position I was interviewing for and talk about how I could contribute to the team immediately.

Interview Questions
    • I think the biggest challenge was that I was not prepared to negotiate my work load in the interview itself. The position is a new one and therefore the manager was looking for someone who can define the position themselves to some extent.   Answer Question
    Salary. It is not a very transparent process, so you need to be a good advocate for yourself.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

I found a job posting in LinkedIn and submitted an application. Within 24 hours, the P.I. contacted me to set up an online interview. This consisted of sharing details on ongoing projects. Afterwards, I was invited to visit their lab and give seminar. I also had a chance to meet the current postdocs and other employees in the department. NCI/NIH seems a great place to work in, with friendly people and lots of resources. I look forward to working in this company

Interview Questions
    • Explaining details from previous P.I.'s projects, especially on authorship issues   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Visiting Fellow Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at National Cancer Institute in August 2011.

I was asked to give a presentation of my PhD project and previous published papers. I was asked about career prospect, visa status, skill set i know and experience with mouse model.