National Cancer Institute

Relevance Date Difficulty

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Fellow
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at National Cancer Institute.

Interview Details – Sent references, CV and statement of interest. Had a quick phone interview and then an in person presentation. Offered job on the spot.

Student Intern Interview

Frederick, MD

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at National Cancer Institute in February 2011.

Interview Details – Applied as high school junior. mentors call you in for interviews. you rate your interviews and preference them, and each mentor does the same with the students he/she interviewed.

Interview Question – Interview is a lot more informational. Try to relate to, show interest or understanding of the work the lab is doing.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations. Too early in career and never thought about it

CRTA Trainee Interview

Bethesda, MD

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at National Cancer Institute in March 2011.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview and then an in person interview with the PI. Met more of the people after I was accepted, and I had accepted the offer. People were relaxed and very nice.

Interview Question – Tell me what you are looking for in this position.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Postdoctoral Visiting Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Visiting Fellow
Frederick, MD

The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at National Cancer Institute in May 2012.

Interview Details – I contacted first a Senior Researcher and she invited me to apply for a position. Everithing was easy and the paperwork process is running.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – If you have been invited by some Senior Researcher, everything gets easy. They will open a position for you (if it already doesn't exist), and will ask you to apply. After that, the paperwork process starts.

Research Analyst Interview

Rockville, MD

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at National Cancer Institute in June 2010.

Interview Details – I was interviewed by five tenure(d) investigators/staff scientists and each of them discussed their research interests/experiences at the National Institute of Health. They also were a bit more personal and described their life outside the office (e.g. how it was to live in DC, etc.) It was less of an interview, more of a meet and greet situation. It seems their interviews are not very vigorous, in general, because I've observed a few new interviewees go through similar interview processes since working here.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was very little room for negotiation.

Research Scientist Interview

Rockville, MD

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at National Cancer Institute in October 2009.

Interview Details – To apply for the position I submitted CV and cover letter and then had an interview with my direct report. The interview covered my research experiences, training, and future career goals. It was very helpful to come with ideas for the position I was interviewing for and talk about how I could contribute to the team immediately.

Interview Question – I think the biggest challenge was that I was not prepared to negotiate my work load in the interview itself. The position is a new one and therefore the manager was looking for someone who can define the position themselves to some extent.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Salary. It is not a very transparent process, so you need to be a good advocate for yourself.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Fellow

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at National Cancer Institute in February 2013.

Interview Details – I found a job posting in LinkedIn and submitted an application. Within 24 hours, the P.I. contacted me to set up an online interview. This consisted of sharing details on ongoing projects. Afterwards, I was invited to visit their lab and give seminar. I also had a chance to meet the current postdocs and other employees in the department. NCI/NIH seems a great place to work in, with friendly people and lots of resources. I look forward to working in this company

Interview Question – Explaining details from previous P.I.'s projects, especially on authorship issues   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Visiting Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Visiting Fellow

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at National Cancer Institute in August 2011.

Interview Details – I was asked to give a presentation of my PhD project and previous published papers. I was asked about career prospect, visa status, skill set i know and experience with mouse model.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for National Cancer Institute? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at National Cancer Institute interview questions and advice. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by National Cancer Institute employees and interview candidates.