National Democratic Institute

Updated Oct 30, 2014
Updated Oct 30, 2014

2.8

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at National Democratic Institute.

I got invited for a phone interview over a month after I submitted my application. The process itself was quick and easy. Interview questions focused on what I knew about the organization, why I was interested in the position I applied for, and how I thought it would benefit my future career path. Orientation is a bit much, especially for an intern position, but it turns out to be useful once you're actually working.

Interview Questions
    • How did you first hear about NDI? This question threw me off because I wasn't sure how to answer it - at my university it was so well known, it was almost like asking how I first heard about the US government.   Answer Question

Project Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at National Democratic Institute.

Applied online, phone interview two weeks later with junior staff team members, a one hour timed writing test the next week, reference check and then extended offer. The junior staff members are all potential supervisors and they make the final decisions on whether to hire you or not. Questions were pretty straightforward. Writing test is just to make sure you have basic writing skills and competencies, so don't be too stressed.

Interview Questions
    • What is something of interest to you that is happening in the region?   View Answer
    None. The pay is set. But be aware- it varies based on your experience, but they don't tell you this. Three pay levels- one for current undergrads, one for graduates, and then one for master degree graduates/students. Pretty unfair for undergrads- considering the same level of work is being done by all.

Technical Trainer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at National Democratic Institute.

Initial interview was with Tech Director, and he was multitasking during the interview. It was held at the office of the recruiting firm NDI used, and I was shown into a conference room where he was working on papers, making calls, and working on his laptop. I sat quietly until he engaged me, and he remained distracted throughout the interview. He conveyed he was a very important and busy person, which I'd like to believe I responded to with wry amusement. His questions were cursory, and I had no feedback about the result. However, the next day I had a phone interview with my supervisor, and got the job.

Project Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at National Democratic Institute in April 2014.

The hiring and interview process was smooth. I was contacted for a preliminary phone interview, after which I had a second, longer, phone interview with three current staff members. They asked basic interview questions: why am I interested in working for NDI, what experience do I have, how do I handle x, y, z. Then I was asked to completed a 1-hour written exam and submit three references and a writing sample.

Interview Questions
    There was not a negotiation phase as project assistants are paid a set hourly wage.

Project Assistant Interview

3- part interview process: 1) phone interview. 2) language abilities test (if interviewing for a regional team), 3) face-to-face interview. Be sure to know what is going on in your particular region. Read the news, talk to people that know about the region, and do your research of the organization.

Interview Questions
    • What is going on in X part of the world?   View Answer

Project Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at National Democratic Institute.

Phone interview, the usual questions, walk me through your resume, how you can help the program, what have you learned from this specific position, your skills...Friendly and very polite interviewer.

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at National Democratic Institute in November 2013.

Found job ad on university career service email. Applied online. Was contacted within one week and arranged a 1-on-1 interview. Interviewer was very friendly. The interview was largely based on questions about personal background and familiarity with the specific region. I did not proceed to the second round of interview due to work authorization issues. (NDI rarely sponsors for work authorizations.)

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at National Democratic Institute in October 2013.

Shortly after I applied online, I was contacted for a screening interview, which was very relaxed. The following week, I completed a timed writing test at home, then was called in for interviews with three members of the staff. Another two weeks later was my interview with the program director.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were standard, none stood out as difficult or surprising.   Answer Question
    Salary ended up being well above the requirement I stated in my interview, so that was a nice surprise!

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at National Democratic Institute in August 2013.

I was invited for a Skype interview with standard questions, such as "Tell me about why you want to work for NDI", and why I am interested in democratization. The interview went well, so over the phone they invited me to take their next round, which is an assignment in two parts. First I had to summarize an article for them, submit it, and then receive the next assignment, which was to compose a mock newsletter with important regional articles. After submitting this, I did not hear from NDI and the department was unresponsive to my follow-ups.

Project Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at National Democratic Institute in May 2013.

I was contacted for an interview a few weeks after applying to the position. My first interview was by phone (I wasn't living in DC at the time). The questions were fairly standard. They wanted to know why I was interested and to hear more about my research, writing, and development experience. The interviewers (two of them) were junior-mid level staff: one from the program area I was being considered for, and one from HR. They were friendly and easy to chat with and both seemed genuinely interested in helping me navigate the beginning of a career in IR/development.

Later that week, I was invited to the second round of interviews (an email-based writing assignment). Though we made an appointment and I was to spend no more than an hour completing the assignment, the email was sent to me the evening before our scheduled time (I decided not to touch it until morning). I definitely would have needed more than an hour to do it well (and wasn't convinced other candidates would be scrupulous about the time limit), but I turned it in, in mediocre condition, after one hour had passed. It took them a month to tell me I had not been selected for the internship.

Interview Questions
    • Summarize this ten page, single-spaced technical document in less than one page. You have one hour.   Answer Question