National Endowment for Democracy

Updated Nov 6, 2014

2.9

Interviews for Top Jobs at National Endowment for Democracy

Program Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at National Endowment for Democracy.

The interview to offer process took about a month. It consisted of phone interview with HR, followed by a Skype interview with the majority of the program staff, and a final Skype interview with the program and department heads. The offer came a week or two later.

Interview Questions
    • What do you consider a weakness and give an example of when you faced a problem at work and had to overcome it.   Answer Question
    I received an offer/email a week or so after my third interview. I asked for a couple thousand more, but HR later replied they didn't have room to negotiate in the budget.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at National Endowment for Democracy in June 2014.

After applying, I received an e-mail requesting an interview within one week. I interviewed with three individuals (30 minutes each): the department director, the program director, and my direct officer. We discussed my interest in the position, the future projects of the department, and my potential role in those projects. I was invited to return and told I would receive an e-mail to schedule that meeting in 2 weeks. After two weeks (as promised), I was invited to interview with both teams I would be working with (two teams of 5) for 45 minutes each. We discussed the role of position and found out a little bit about different working conditions.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to define a research project I had taken on either in school or work and defend my findings.   Answer Question

Program Assistant Interview

It was three rounds of interviews -- phone screening, in person, and final interview with the VP. Questions were nothing out of the ordinary -- things like "tell me about yourself," "tell me a time when you made a mistake," etc. Initially, the HR and Manager were very responsive, and would follow up when they said that they would. However, I only recently found out that I did not get the position when I saw that the position was pulled from their job listings. It's very unprofessional and rude not to contact an applicant after three rounds of interviews, and makes me question NED's integrity when they treat potential applicants so poorly.

Interview Questions
    • "What is a common misconception that people have about you?"   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at National Endowment for Democracy.

Hiring process was quick and efficient. Multiple interviews were needed to complete the hiring process. There seemed to be confusion between HR and the actual hiring manager. My application was never passed on to the Hiring manager. The only reason he responded to me was because I called and left him a voicemail about my application.

Interview Questions
    • Rate the state of democracy by country in a particular region.   Answer Question
    Yes, I was able to negotiate but I believe I short changed myself.

Program Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at National Endowment for Democracy in September 2013.

The process from applying, phone screening, to offer took about 3 weeks. I found the position on Idealist and know of this organizations reputation through one of their other organizations affiliated with the NED. The position was posted on their website as well and I got an automatic response that my resume was received. I had trouble with the online employment application though.

Interview Questions
    • What's the number one thing that you do to keep up your skills?   View Answer

Finance Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at National Endowment for Democracy in April 2013.

Initial contact by HR Manager. First interview with HR Manager and supervisor very standard and comfortable. Second interview with two different panels (2 - 3 people each) was a bit more difficult. I appreciate the idea of meeting most or all of a team in this process, but the variety of my audiences did have me on my toes with messaging and making some course corrections.

Interview Questions
    • Not most difficult to answer, but was asked same question so many times: How do you deal with difficult people?   Answer Question

went well

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at National Endowment for Democracy in February 2011.

Interview Questions
    The interview was incredibly informal - it seemed as though the decision was made before I came in for the interview, based on the referral and my resume. It was more of a chance for me to ask the interviewer questions. After that, I was introduced to the team I would be working with.

Program Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at National Endowment for Democracy in March 2009.

The application was straightforward during my time. I submitted a CV, cover letter, and, I believe, a writing sample. I also had two interviews. The first was with the director of the section and I believe a person from the team was also present. Questions touched, among other things, on my knowledge of the region, my views on democracy support in Africa, my experience with grants management and civil society, and my field experience. Later, I was given a final round when I met with the Vice President (there was only one VP at the time) and then a meeting with the President, which was surprisingly intellectual and engaging. He asked about my views, about principles in democracy support, and about what the U.S. is or is not doing right in its foreign policy.

Interview Questions
    • It was probably from the president who asked about some tough question of democracy support under President George W. Bush. It was critical but forced me to be nimble in my response.   Answer Question
    Since I was coming from a better paying job, I pushed for a higher salary. They offered $60,000 and I asked for $65,000 arguing that I was already making $70,000. They eventually met me halfway at $62,500. I heard years later that they had trouble making the case for a higher salary because I barely met the minimum years of experience for the job. It's also a non-profit, so there was only so much they could offer.

Research Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at National Endowment for Democracy.

Applied for the position online. After over one month, I was informed that I was selected to complete a writing test. A few weeks after that I was invited for an interview. The interview was held at their office with two senior managers and two project assistants. All were very friendly and welcoming, and interview format was in the style of a somewhat informal conversation. No unexpected questions or challenges. At the end of the interview they informed me that it would take several weeks for them to make their final decision, and as of now they still have not yet chosen a candidate. No offer yet, though it's still possible. :)

Interview Questions
    • None - all were very straightforward and related to my background, qualifications for the position, interests, and reasons for applying for this job.   Answer Question