National Endowment for Democracy

Average Difficulty
7 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at National Endowment for Democracy

Interview Details – It was three rounds of interviews -- phone screening, in person, and final interview with the VP. Questions were nothing out of the ordinary -- things like "tell me about yourself," "tell me a time when you made a mistake," etc. Initially, the HR and Manager were very responsive, and would follow up when they said that they would. However, I only recently found out that I did not get the position when I saw that the position was pulled from their job listings. It's very unprofessional and rude not to contact an applicant after three rounds of interviews, and makes me question NED's integrity when they treat potential applicants so poorly.

Interview Question – "What is a common misconception that people have about you?"   Answer Question

Program Officer Interview

Program Officer
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at National Endowment for Democracy in March 2009.

Interview Details – The application was straightforward during my time. I submitted a CV, cover letter, and, I believe, a writing sample. I also had two interviews. The first was with the director of the section and I believe a person from the team was also present. Questions touched, among other things, on my knowledge of the region, my views on democracy support in Africa, my experience with grants management and civil society, and my field experience. Later, I was given a final round when I met with the Vice President (there was only one VP at the time) and then a meeting with the President, which was surprisingly intellectual and engaging. He asked about my views, about principles in democracy support, and about what the U.S. is or is not doing right in its foreign policy.

Interview Question – It was probably from the president who asked about some tough question of democracy support under President George W. Bush. It was critical but forced me to be nimble in my response.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Since I was coming from a better paying job, I pushed for a higher salary. They offered $60,000 and I asked for $65,000 arguing that I was already making $70,000. They eventually met me halfway at $62,500. I heard years later that they had trouble making the case for a higher salary because I barely met the minimum years of experience for the job. It's also a non-profit, so there was only so much they could offer.

Program Assistant

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at National Endowment for Democracy in September 2013.

Interview Details – The process from applying, phone screening, to offer took about 3 weeks. I found the position on Idealist and know of this organizations reputation through one of their other organizations affiliated with the NED. The position was posted on their website as well and I got an automatic response that my resume was received. I had trouble with the online employment application though.

Interview Question – What's the number one thing that you do to keep up your skills?   View Answer

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at National Endowment for Democracy.

Interview Details – Hiring process was quick and efficient. Multiple interviews were needed to complete the hiring process. There seemed to be confusion between HR and the actual hiring manager. My application was never passed on to the Hiring manager. The only reason he responded to me was because I called and left him a voicemail about my application.

Interview Question – Rate the state of democracy by country in a particular region.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yes, I was able to negotiate but I believe I short changed myself.

Finance Interview

Finance

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at National Endowment for Democracy in April 2013.

Interview Details – Initial contact by HR Manager. First interview with HR Manager and supervisor very standard and comfortable. Second interview with two different panels (2 - 3 people each) was a bit more difficult. I appreciate the idea of meeting most or all of a team in this process, but the variety of my audiences did have me on my toes with messaging and making some course corrections.

Interview Question – Not most difficult to answer, but was asked same question so many times: How do you deal with difficult people?   Answer Question

Interviewed at National Endowment for Democracy

Interview Details – went well

Interview Question – how you handle pressure   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at National Endowment for Democracy in February 2011.

Interview Details – The interview was incredibly informal - it seemed as though the decision was made before I came in for the interview, based on the referral and my resume. It was more of a chance for me to ask the interviewer questions.

Interview Question – How good is your language skill?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The interview was incredibly informal - it seemed as though the decision was made before I came in for the interview, based on the referral and my resume. It was more of a chance for me to ask the interviewer questions. After that, I was introduced to the team I would be working with.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for National Endowment for Democracy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at National Endowment for Democracy interview questions and advice. All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by National Endowment for Democracy employees and interview candidates.