National Geographic Interview Questions

Updated Jan 27, 2015
Updated Jan 27, 2015

2.5

Project Coordinator Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at National Geographic.

I spoke with the employee who would be the supervisor over the phone. She was pleasant, excited about her job, and showed a genuine interest in my resume and skills. When I followed up, we scheduled an interview about two weeks later. I met with her at the DC office, and she was extremely thorough in explaining the job function, showing me the software I would use, and making sure I understood the background of the project.

Several weeks later, I had an interview with the HR department. The interviewer was pleasant, but I couldn't shake the feeling that she was purposely trying to intimidate me. She did, however, do a great job of explaining the company's mission, goals, and policies, and said for me to feel free to contact her with any questions or concerns. I did, and never heard back from her. That being said, it was just before the holiday, but I would have expected to hear at least something back from her at all.

All in all, from the first time I spoke with anyone from National Geographic to when I heard back about the job, it took about six or seven weeks. Ended up losing out to someone with a more applicable degree, but overall the process was a positive experience.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at National Geographic.

A week or so after applying, asked to set up 15-30 minute phone call with two editors. I kinda just ran through my resume with two editors separately and went with the flow. Only question was could i perform the duties listed.

Interview Questions
    • It wasn't a question-and-answer type of interview. Mostly just chatted.   Answer Question

Communications Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at National Geographic in July 2014.

The interview process isn't hard but not easy peasy either. There are about two to three rounds of interviewing. They review your resume, contact you via phone and then meet with you in person. Everyone is really nice and just want to get a better understanding of whether or not you will fit with the department.

Interview Questions
    • What do you love most about National Geographic, be prepared. Do research on the organization.   Answer Question

Production Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at National Geographic.

One phone interview was held. It was enjoyable and very relaxed. I guess I might have been a little too relaxed. I was declined about a week later.

Producer Interview

Standard HR process, then production executives

Interview Questions
    took initial offer - this was years ago....

Web Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at National Geographic in December 2013.

The interviews, while numerous, were pretty standard. Typical questions about experience, interests, etc. I spoke with 10 people over the course of 3 in person meetings and 3 phone calls.

They save the HR interview (which is supposed to assess whether you are a good cultural fit for the organization overall) for last. Like the other interviews, it was cookie cutter and not difficult.

One frustrating aspect of this process was NG's unwillingness to discuss salary range openly. In fact, even though I mentioned my requirements several times throughout the interview process, they never gave me a salary range for the position, not even after they decided to offer me the job. Very strange and totally backwards, if you ask me.

Turns out the max salary was way below (around -20k) my requirements. I had a feeling that was going to be the case, and it would have saved a lot of people a lot of time if they just been up front about this.

In fact, they even went so far as to downplay compensation, in general. While HR was happy to spend 20 minutes explaining their benefits package in detail, they never mentioned one number when it came to salary. Further, we only discussed it because, in his words, it was "very important to me" and "I seemed concerned about it."

Well, yeah. I am concerned about making a living. Isn't everyone?

Bottom line: I think Nat Geo is a great company, and they're doing awesome things. Perhaps their reluctance to discuss compensation in an open way is a by product of tight budgets.

I ended up turning down the job because: First, it didn't pay nearly enough. Second, the whole process rubbed me the wrong way, especially the disconnect between the hiring manager and HR.

Interview Questions

Low pay; unwillingness on HR's part to discuss compensation. Also, more than one of my interviewees was late...not a deal breaker, but indicative of culture.

Coordinating Producer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at National Geographic in June 2012.

All the jobs I have gotten have been through people I know and/or have previously worked with. I have applied to their jobs online before but have never been called for an interview.

Interview Questions
    I was terrible at negotiating. They basically told me they could pay me what I was making on my last job and I said yes. I guess my advice would be to actually make an effort and negotiate. I'm just really bad at it.

Marketing Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at National Geographic in May 2012.

I had applied online and within 1 week I got an email from a marketing co-ordinator/ associate confirming my interview at their DC-HQ. I was interviewed by the SVP who was extremely excited about my candidacy. I was told that my final interview date with the CMO will emailed to me by the end of June (since both the SVP and CMO were busy and the position was for a senior management role so they wanted to go slow). For 5 months no one got back to me. I did follow up but no one replied back to me. After 5 months, I was offered a junior level position.

Interview Questions
    • My past experiences and how is it working with NGC were discussed. No interview-like questions asked.   Answer Question

During the interview, I was told about their recent senior management change. I was continuously receiving negative feedbacks about how partial and biased the new CMO is (specifically mentioning that the new CMO's would like to hire from his/her previous company). I was also forewarned that I have to work in conjunction with new CMO's philosophy which is more creatively inclined than any scientific approach for developing marketing strategies. My interviewer seemed very demotivated with his/her own job.

I was interviewed in May and was told that my final interview date with the CMO will be confirmed via email/call by the end of June. However no one got back to me. Much later I learnt that the interviewer had moved into a different role before he/she quit the job. The position I was interviewed for was filled by someone from the CMO's previous company (much expected!). 5 months later I was offered a junior level position (Asst Manager, Media Strategy) and I found that very insulting. I declined it because I found the management very unstable and the work environment unhealthy.

Marketing Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at National Geographic in March 2012.

I took three interviews. Both consisted of conversation with the interviewer about myself, my skills, and my expectations for the internship. We also spoke of the expectations of the intern.

Interview Questions
    • What do you expect to gain from this particular intern position?   View Answer
    I did not need to negotiate, but instead, I just communicated and worked along with the interviewer to benefit both parties.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at National Geographic in April 2011.

I lived out of state, so the Project Manager from the department arranged a phone interview via e-mail and then called me precisely at the time he stated. National Geographic is a laid back culture, but the people are incredibly driven and from the ranks of top tier schools (georgetown, yale, penn...etc) However, if your niche (like mine) hails from an obscure university--have no fear--they are interested in your skillset and ability to pick up the slack in their department without instruction.

It is unclear to me whether it was my combination of unique skills or my open mindedness about where my career might go that led me to NatGeo, but it was extra fun and rewarding every day!

Words of advice, be yourself (if that self is humble, ambitious, smart and concerned about human interaction with geography.) Don't over-analyze, but be very prepared for questions pertaining to your exact skills--don't give vague answers, tell them how each skill will match what they've posted.

Interview Questions
    • How familiar are you with Adobe CS5 integration with ArcGIS?   View Answer