National Geographic Interview Questions

Updated Jun 25, 2015

2.6

Interview

Easy enough on line application.had a phone interview first-very friendly, thought it went well. I flew to DC for an interview (on my own dollar). Interviewed with 2 other junior members of the team, hiring manager, another senior manager and the EVP. All were very nice people. They are definitely trying to get the right person in the job which is great. Despite following up, I never heard from them again which seemed unprofessional and disrespectful to me for having interviewed someone.

Graphic Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at National Geographic.

Interview

They call you in to sit down at headquarters. Because it's an internship there's just the one designer that'll be mentoring you asking questions. They asked about the typical questions about skill set and your experience. Interviewer was really nice. In essence just looking for a good personality and a good portfolio.

Product Marketing Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at National Geographic (Washington, DC) in May 2015.

Interview

I saw the posting on the careers site, then decided to reach out to some employees in the department via LinkedIn. I got responses from both people I had contacted right away, who were very helpful in forwarding my resume to the hiring manager. With one of them, I had an informational phone interview a few days after applying online. She helped me better understand the position and NatGeo, which was helpful when I was constructing my cover letter. A few days after including my cover letter to my online application, I was contacted by the hiring manager for a phone interview. The phone interview only lasted about 10 minutes, but it went very well. I followed up and the day after was invited to come into the office in person since I was going to be in DC right after my college graduation. I went into the headquarters, and had 3 in-person interviews with 3 members of the team (none of which were the initial LinkedIn people I had contacted). I felt very comfortable speaking with all 3, and was promised I would hear back by the end of the month. I followed up throughout the process waiting to hear back from them, and ultimately was told about a month after the interview that another they had decided to pursue another candidate.

Interview Questions

• What motivates you? What is your biggest weakness? What attracted you to this position? What is the definition of marketing to you?   Answer Question

Project Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at National Geographic.

Interview

I spoke with the employee who would be the supervisor over the phone. She was pleasant, excited about her job, and showed a genuine interest in my resume and skills. When I followed up, we scheduled an interview about two weeks later. I met with her at the DC office, and she was extremely thorough in explaining the job function, showing me the software I would use, and making sure I understood the background of the project. Several weeks later, I had an interview with the HR department. The interviewer was pleasant, but I couldn't shake the feeling that she was purposely trying to intimidate me. She did, however, do a great job of explaining the company's mission, goals, and policies, and said for me to feel free to contact her with any questions or concerns. I did, and never heard back from her. That being said, it was just before the holiday, but I would have expected to hear at least something back from her at all. All in all, from the first time I spoke with anyone from National Geographic to when I heard back about the job, it took about six or seven weeks. Ended up losing out to someone with a more applicable degree, but overall the process was a positive experience.

Interview Questions

• What is your plan to relocate here?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at National Geographic.

Interview

A week or so after applying, asked to set up 15-30 minute phone call with two editors. I kinda just ran through my resume with two editors separately and went with the flow. Only question was could i perform the duties listed.

Interview Questions

• It wasn't a question-and-answer type of interview. Mostly just chatted.   Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at National Geographic (Washington, DC) in September 2014.

Interview

It was typical interview online. They asked me typical questions having to do with experience, qualifications, network, ambitions, etc. It was fairly casual and didn't resort to 'what is your favorite quality about your colleagues' and 'what is your greatest dislikes', etc. I took about 1 hour.

Communications Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at National Geographic in July 2014.

Interview

The interview process isn't hard but not easy peasy either. There are about two to three rounds of interviewing. They review your resume, contact you via phone and then meet with you in person. Everyone is really nice and just want to get a better understanding of whether or not you will fit with the department.

Interview Questions

• What do you love most about National Geographic, be prepared. Do research on the organization.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at National Geographic.

Interview

One phone interview was held. It was enjoyable and very relaxed. I guess I might have been a little too relaxed. I was declined about a week later.

Producer Interview

Interview

Standard HR process, then production executives

Interview Questions

Negotiation

took initial offer - this was years ago....

Web Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at National Geographic (Washington, DC) in December 2013.

Interview

The interviews, while numerous, were pretty standard. Typical questions about experience, interests, etc. I spoke with 10 people over the course of 3 in person meetings and 3 phone calls. They save the HR interview (which is supposed to assess whether you are a good cultural fit for the organization overall) for last. Like the other interviews, it was cookie cutter and not difficult. One frustrating aspect of this process was NG's unwillingness to discuss salary range openly. In fact, even though I mentioned my requirements several times throughout the interview process, they never gave me a salary range for the position, not even after they decided to offer me the job. Very strange and totally backwards, if you ask me. Turns out the max salary was way below (around -20k) my requirements. I had a feeling that was going to be the case, and it would have saved a lot of people a lot of time if they just been up front about this. In fact, they even went so far as to downplay compensation, in general. While HR was happy to spend 20 minutes explaining their benefits package in detail, they never mentioned one number when it came to salary. Further, we only discussed it because, in his words, it was "very important to me" and "I seemed concerned about it." Well, yeah. I am concerned about making a living. Isn't everyone? Bottom line: I think Nat Geo is a great company, and they're doing awesome things. Perhaps their reluctance to discuss compensation in an open way is a by product of tight budgets. I ended up turning down the job because: First, it didn't pay nearly enough. Second, the whole process rubbed me the wrong way, especially the disconnect between the hiring manager and HR.

Interview Questions

Low pay; unwillingness on HR's part to discuss compensation. Also, more than one of my interviewees was late...not a deal breaker, but indicative of culture.