National Geographic

2.5

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evanston, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evanston, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at National Geographic in March 2009.

I had a total of 6 or 7 interviews over a period of 4 months. I was led to believe I was the leading candidate. I met with many different people and was finally informed that they had rehired a former employee to take the position, which they had downgraded as far as title was concerned.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle reporting to a supervisor at a different location?   Answer Question

Production Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at National Geographic in May 2010.

Very quick interview, producer was honest and straightforward. It definitely seems like a place at which I'd love to work!

Manager of Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at National Geographic in July 2008.

Recruiter contact, then emailed current issues the company was experiencing for me to describe how I would handle. Then a series of 1:1 interviews with 5-6 people. After waiting 6 weeks to go through the process, the offer was made on a Friday night and job was to be started Monday. Not truly a professional situation all the way around.

Interview Questions
    • Are you able to travel a day or two in a week every so often.   View Answer
    I was able to negotiate a higher salary.

Market Research Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at National Geographic in December 2010.

First got in contact with the company after seeing a presentation about National Geographic during one of my college classes in Washington, DC. I followed up with her and coincidentally, she was the hiring manager for a recent internship application they posted online. Interview was quick and easy.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to pursue a career in market research?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, OR

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at National Geographic in May 2010.

was casual, not much technical details.

Interview Questions
    • how many years of experience in client management   View Answer
    • how do you tackle conflict of interest   View Answer

Marketing Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at National Geographic in March 2012.

I took three interviews. Both consisted of conversation with the interviewer about myself, my skills, and my expectations for the internship. We also spoke of the expectations of the intern.

Interview Questions
    • What do you expect to gain from this particular intern position?   View Answer
    I did not need to negotiate, but instead, I just communicated and worked along with the interviewer to benefit both parties.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at National Geographic in April 2011.

I lived out of state, so the Project Manager from the department arranged a phone interview via e-mail and then called me precisely at the time he stated. National Geographic is a laid back culture, but the people are incredibly driven and from the ranks of top tier schools (georgetown, yale, penn...etc) However, if your niche (like mine) hails from an obscure university--have no fear--they are interested in your skillset and ability to pick up the slack in their department without instruction.

It is unclear to me whether it was my combination of unique skills or my open mindedness about where my career might go that led me to NatGeo, but it was extra fun and rewarding every day!

Words of advice, be yourself (if that self is humble, ambitious, smart and concerned about human interaction with geography.) Don't over-analyze, but be very prepared for questions pertaining to your exact skills--don't give vague answers, tell them how each skill will match what they've posted.

Interview Questions
    • How familiar are you with Adobe CS5 integration with ArcGIS?   View Answer

Marketing Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at National Geographic in January 2012.

Initial conversation with HR about interests, skills, resume. Same week scheduled a phone interview with hiring manager which was focused on why I want the position. After the conversation, scheduled a face-to-face interview with 2 executives and the following week got a verbal offer.
    The written offer came a week after.

Communications Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at National Geographic in July 2014.

The interview process isn't hard but not easy peasy either. There are about two to three rounds of interviewing. They review your resume, contact you via phone and then meet with you in person. Everyone is really nice and just want to get a better understanding of whether or not you will fit with the department.

Interview Questions
    • What do you love most about National Geographic, be prepared. Do research on the organization.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at National Geographic.

A week or so after applying, asked to set up 15-30 minute phone call with two editors. I kinda just ran through my resume with two editors separately and went with the flow. Only question was could i perform the duties listed.

Interview Questions
    • It wasn't a question-and-answer type of interview. Mostly just chatted.   Answer Question