National Geographic Interview Questions

Updated Jan 27, 2015

2.5

Producer Interview

Interview

Standard HR process, then production executives

Interview Questions

Negotiation

took initial offer - this was years ago....

Pre-Press Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at National Geographic (Washington, DC) in March 2010.

Interview

Interview process was very thorough. Benefit package was very impressive

Offer was not acceptable

Marketing Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at National Geographic (Washington, DC) in May 2012.

Interview

I had applied online and within 1 week I got an email from a marketing co-ordinator/ associate confirming my interview at their DC-HQ. I was interviewed by the SVP who was extremely excited about my candidacy. I was told that my final interview date with the CMO will emailed to me by the end of June (since both the SVP and CMO were busy and the position was for a senior management role so they wanted to go slow). For 5 months no one got back to me. I did follow up but no one replied back to me. After 5 months, I was offered a junior level position.

Interview Questions

• My past experiences and how is it working with NGC were discussed. No interview-like questions asked.   Answer Question

During the interview, I was told about their recent senior management change. I was continuously receiving negative feedbacks about how partial and biased the new CMO is (specifically mentioning that the new CMO's would like to hire from his/her previous company). I was also forewarned that I have to work in conjunction with new CMO's philosophy which is more creatively inclined than any scientific approach for developing marketing strategies. My interviewer seemed very demotivated with his/her own job.

I was interviewed in May and was told that my final interview date with the CMO will be confirmed via email/call by the end of June. However no one got back to me. Much later I learnt that the interviewer had moved into a different role before he/she quit the job. The position I was interviewed for was filled by someone from the CMO's previous company (much expected!). 5 months later I was offered a junior level position (Asst Manager, Media Strategy) and I found that very insulting. I declined it because I found the management very unstable and the work environment unhealthy.

Coordinating Producer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at National Geographic in June 2012.

Interview

All the jobs I have gotten have been through people I know and/or have previously worked with. I have applied to their jobs online before but have never been called for an interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was terrible at negotiating. They basically told me they could pay me what I was making on my last job and I said yes. I guess my advice would be to actually make an effort and negotiate. I'm just really bad at it.

Project Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at National Geographic.

Interview

I spoke with the employee who would be the supervisor over the phone. She was pleasant, excited about her job, and showed a genuine interest in my resume and skills. When I followed up, we scheduled an interview about two weeks later. I met with her at the DC office, and she was extremely thorough in explaining the job function, showing me the software I would use, and making sure I understood the background of the project.

Several weeks later, I had an interview with the HR department. The interviewer was pleasant, but I couldn't shake the feeling that she was purposely trying to intimidate me. She did, however, do a great job of explaining the company's mission, goals, and policies, and said for me to feel free to contact her with any questions or concerns. I did, and never heard back from her. That being said, it was just before the holiday, but I would have expected to hear at least something back from her at all.

All in all, from the first time I spoke with anyone from National Geographic to when I heard back about the job, it took about six or seven weeks. Ended up losing out to someone with a more applicable degree, but overall the process was a positive experience.

Interview Questions

• What is your plan to relocate here?   1 Answer

Web Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at National Geographic (Washington, DC) in December 2013.

Interview

The interviews, while numerous, were pretty standard. Typical questions about experience, interests, etc. I spoke with 10 people over the course of 3 in person meetings and 3 phone calls.

They save the HR interview (which is supposed to assess whether you are a good cultural fit for the organization overall) for last. Like the other interviews, it was cookie cutter and not difficult.

One frustrating aspect of this process was NG's unwillingness to discuss salary range openly. In fact, even though I mentioned my requirements several times throughout the interview process, they never gave me a salary range for the position, not even after they decided to offer me the job. Very strange and totally backwards, if you ask me.

Turns out the max salary was way below (around -20k) my requirements. I had a feeling that was going to be the case, and it would have saved a lot of people a lot of time if they just been up front about this.

In fact, they even went so far as to downplay compensation, in general. While HR was happy to spend 20 minutes explaining their benefits package in detail, they never mentioned one number when it came to salary. Further, we only discussed it because, in his words, it was "very important to me" and "I seemed concerned about it."

Well, yeah. I am concerned about making a living. Isn't everyone?

Bottom line: I think Nat Geo is a great company, and they're doing awesome things. Perhaps their reluctance to discuss compensation in an open way is a by product of tight budgets.

I ended up turning down the job because: First, it didn't pay nearly enough. Second, the whole process rubbed me the wrong way, especially the disconnect between the hiring manager and HR.

Interview Questions

Low pay; unwillingness on HR's part to discuss compensation. Also, more than one of my interviewees was late...not a deal breaker, but indicative of culture.

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at National Geographic.

Interview

One phone interview was held. It was enjoyable and very relaxed. I guess I might have been a little too relaxed. I was declined about a week later.

Production Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at National Geographic in May 2010.

Interview

Very quick interview, producer was honest and straightforward. It definitely seems like a place at which I'd love to work!

Manager of Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at National Geographic (Washington, DC) in July 2008.

Interview

Recruiter contact, then emailed current issues the company was experiencing for me to describe how I would handle. Then a series of 1:1 interviews with 5-6 people. After waiting 6 weeks to go through the process, the offer was made on a Friday night and job was to be started Monday. Not truly a professional situation all the way around.

Interview Questions

• Are you able to travel a day or two in a week every so often.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate a higher salary.

Market Research Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at National Geographic (Washington, DC) in December 2010.

Interview

First got in contact with the company after seeing a presentation about National Geographic during one of my college classes in Washington, DC. I followed up with her and coincidentally, she was the hiring manager for a recent internship application they posted online. Interview was quick and easy.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to pursue a career in market research?   Answer Question