National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency

Updated Jun 26, 2015

2.4

Imagery Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (Saint Louis, MO).

Interview

Phone screening: The conversation lasted about 20 minutes. The interviewer was blunt, very straightforward, and had little-to-no personality. I wasn't sure what to expect, but appreciated the brevity of the conversation. The interviewer seemed to appreciate the succinctness of my responses.

Interview Questions

• Phone screening: Expect to be asked about current world events, remote sensing, problem solving, the future of the GIS industry, and national security priorities.

1 on 1 or panel interview: Expect to be asked your motivation for applying, your five-year career goals, what is your favorite book and why, basic problem solving scenarios (be sure to think aloud), and more questions about how GIS can help solve global security problems.

Answer Question

Negotiation

If you have a graduate degree in a sought after field, negotiate to enter employment as a Pay Band 3.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Belvoir, VA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (Fort Belvoir, VA).

Interview

A panel of four interviewers asked questions verbatim from a written list. The panel was friendly but very formal. There were four questions, one for each panel member. Each of the four panel members wrote down everything I said. The interview lasted 30 minutes so there was little time for discussion or establishing rapport.

GIS Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency.

Interview

Applied well before the deadline. Contacted a month or so after the deadline for a phone interview. Panel of four interviewers, call lasted only 15 minutes or so. Four behavioral based questions. No technical questions were asked. Lastly they asked if I had any questions for them.

Interview Questions

• How do you communicate a difficult idea or concept to someone?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency in November 2013.

Interview

I filled out the online application in September, received an e-mail requesting a phone interview at the end of November. The interview itself consisted of 4 behavioral-based questions in front of a panel of five NGA agents. After hearing nothing for a month and a half, I finally received a rejection email.

GEOINT Analyst Interview

Interview

I applied as an intern, where I only needed to submit a resume, transcript, and cover letter. If your application is selected for a position, you are then subject to a background investigation that involves a background investigator visiting your friends, family, neighbors and yourself, a polygraph, and drug testing.

If you do well as an intern, you are non-competitively converted to a regular employee.

Geospatial Data Steward Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online – interviewed at National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (Bethesda, MD).

Interview

Met with a representative on campus. Then went online and applied. Received an information packet and date for a group interview session in Bethesda.

The interview was pretty painless and quick. They went over your resume, asked a few questions about things like how your organize yourself and how you deal with diversity.

Police Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (Springfield, VA) in September 2011.

Interview

The interview process was about what one should expect, in regards to working in a Top Secret/SCI position. There is the obligatory online application first, then Medical Exam, Physical Efficiency Battery, Drug Screen, Oral Board, Poly, etc. The culmination is a trip to a federal law enforcement academy, then back to whatever location you are assigned to. Then reality sets in.

Interview Questions

• What is your greatest weakness?   1 Answer

Geodetic Surveyor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency in October 2013.

Interview

After a very long wait( 2 months), after the job posting; I received a phone call to schedule a phone interview. I received a call with a four person panel and each could ask 1 question. I was asked questions about my experience supervising and hiring personnel, basic surveying knowledge.

Interview Questions

• How to manage situations when a subordinate was not willing to get the job done.   Answer Question

Administrative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency in March 2010.

Interview

The request for an interview was sent to me two months after I applied. An offer was extended to me 2 weeks after the interview. The interview itself was not difficult. I applied prior to Knowledge Skills and Ability's (KSA’s) being taken out of the process. My KSA response was very detailed regarding the type of work I have performed, my experience, and qualifications. During the interview, I was asked briefly about the type of work I am currently performing and my work in the past. However, I was not grilled about Regulations or any difficult technical questions. The rest of the interview was questions such as "If I asked a co-worker about you, how would they describe you?" Another question was "What are your strengths". Of course I received the usual question "Why NGA?". The best advice I can give to anyone looking to join NGA is be patient with the process. Also review the website and Employment FAQs. It does take a lot of time. From application to start date, my timeline has been 10 months. Everyone is different but my timeline was 2 months interview request received, 2 weeks offer made, 1 month for clearance to start, 1 month to complete the clearance, 2 months for adjudication of clearance, approx 4 months for placement/start date.

Interview Questions

• If I asked a co-worker about you, how would they describe you?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not need to negotiate. The offer made to me was very fair. Prior to my interview I had to submit paystubs from my current job. The offer made to me was 5% above my pay.