National Grid USA

31 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at National Grid USA.

Interview Details – I applied online in January and received an e-mail in April about a phone interveiw. I had one phone interview and brief e-mail conversation with the hiring manager. They offered me the job less than a week later after I informed them I had another offer.

Interview Question – Talk about a difficult time that you overcame.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was offered hourly pay based on my major and credit hours earned.

Transmission Planning Intern Interview

Transmission Planning Intern
Waltham, MA

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at National Grid USA in April 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online through monster jobs. Roughly a month later, I received an email expressing interest to interview by phone. I was put in a conference call with 4 Division managers. Started off with usual questions like, "why national grid", "why chose engineering", etc. Later it got more technical - mostly questions from my projects and thesis. Once the interview was over, the transmission planning manager called in for a personal interview. Few extra questions from my thesis and later discussed interest in hiring me for his division. In less than a week, the offer was confirmed.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected as every question was related to my research work.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Since I had to decide on another offer, I called the supervisor and spoke to him about my situation. He called in few minuted later and confirmed the offer.

Very Easy Interview

Manager, Interactive Customer Experience Interview

Manager, Interactive Customer Experience
Brooklyn, NY

I applied through other source and the process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at National Grid USA in July 2012.

Interview Details – The job title and descriptions changed 3 times during the recruitment process. My background check was not done and my references never called. I showed up for my first day and my new boss was no longer employed with the company. I did not receive a computer or log-in for 3 weeks from the day I started. It was very challenging

Interview Question – During the interview I was told that one of the team members was " to junior for their job" and the lead was unorganized and needed oversight. Ouch! That was uncomfortable.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not transparent, I later found out that information I made my decision to accept was not accurate.

Strategy Analyst Interview

Strategy Analyst

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at National Grid USA.

Interview Details – I applied in response to a job posting distributed by my alumni networking group. The process consisted of a 20-minute phone screening with a recruiter, a 1-hour phone interview with the hiring manager, then a half-day of in-person interviews at the Waltham HQ. I liked that each interviewer was prepared with a set of non-overlapping questions that clearly showed that they had read my cover letter and considered my resume in some detail.

While it was an overall pleasant experience, one of my biggest pet peeves is the post-interview silence. I did not get the job, however because I had driven 600 miles, round-trip, to meet the team in-person and do 4 hours of interviews in Waltham, I was even more put off that no one had the decency to tell me the final result. I followed up 4 times with no response. How hard is it to reply to a candidate with "We haven't decided yet" or "Sorry, you didn't get the job"?

Interview Question – How would you evaluate whether National Grid should develop utility-scale solar assets in upstate New York?   Answer Question

Network Operator Interview

Network Operator
Northborough, MA

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at National Grid USA in May 2012.

Interview Details – Panel interview, 1st question was Why National Grid. Questions about work, experience, expectations.

Interview Question – Technical questions asked to guage your knowledge and experience.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations, except on start date.

Marketing Strategy Interview

Marketing Strategy
Waltham, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at National Grid USA in March 2012.

Interview Details – First contact came from a contracted recruiter by phone. He conducted a brief phone screen and said he would recommend me to the HR manager. Within a week, the hiring manager called me to set up an in-person interview with herself and one of her colleagues from a related department. This first interview was very challenging as it focused on my technical skills and experiences. I was asked to give examples of situations in which I successfully performed tasks and solved problems similar to those required by the job at hand. A few weeks later I hadn't heard anything and wrote to the hiring manager to inquire. I heard nothing for two weeks after that and assumed I was no longer being considered. Finally I received an email from the hiring manager requesting another interview with her and another senior colleague by phone. That interview was easier and more laid back, as they were trying to figure out if I would be a good personality/work style fit for the team. Within a week, I received another email from the hiring manager asking for a third interview with herself and yet another senior colleague by phone in the same week. I could tell that they were eager to fill to position with this more aggressive timeline. The third interview was much like the second. I received a job offer from HR the same day of my final interview.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time when you had to find and utilize both primary and secondary data sources, and also internal and external data sources, to analyze and find insights.   Answer Question
  • Describe a time when you used primary research to affect change in your organization.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate any terms of the offer because the offer exceeded my expectations. National Grid did a great job to get it right the first time. The job, salary, and benefits were great.

Supervisor Interview

Supervisor
Hicksville, NY

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at National Grid USA in January 2009.

Interview Details – hr will conduct the phone screening, than one to one interview with the manager, than interview with the panel of hr, manager and director. they will use the star method. you must answer the question in small amount of time. must use good examples and stories to represent yourself. questions will be standard.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – i was able to negotiate that that since i ll be travelling for the company a lot, company vehicle is a must or if they want to give me a bump for couple thousand more.

Intern Interview

Intern
Brooklyn, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at National Grid USA in September 2010.

Interview Details – The interview was all behavioral. It wasnt difficult at all if you know how to expand on your resume, speak about all of your experiences. Couple of questions asked: Why you chose the university you attend, what do you know about the national grid, why did you choose your major and what are your goals for your career.

Interview Question – Tell me something you know about the National Grid   Answer Question

Summer Internship Interview

Summer Internship
Waltham, MA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at National Grid USA in May 2010.

Interview Details – I was interviewed by two heads of the department that I was applying for. A man and a woman, one after another, they were both very nice and made me feel very comfortable. They also required me to bring in wrinting samples at the interview, an essay paper and a presentation.

The lady, who is also the head of the department called me back after a few days and with the bad news that they went with someone else.

Interview Question – Why national GRID?   Answer Question

Lead Analyst Interview

Lead Analyst
Waltham, MA

The process took 9 months - interviewed at National Grid USA in December 2009.

Interview Details – Several phone interviews, an informal face to face interview, followed by a formal interview that consisted of a case interview, and then a follow-up leadership/behavioral interview. Then an offer contingent on a medical exam and background check.

Interview Question – It was a case interview based on new drilling technology they had discovered.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate 10% higher than the initial offer.