National Grid USA

Data Analyst Interview

standard questions

Contract Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at National Grid USA.

Hired through an Agency, mostly phone interviews with NG Managers, work through contract coordinator that seem to be on the ball, but sent me to incorrect address for in person interview.

Interview Questions
    • Standard questions, no surprises, only difficulty was trying to understand thick scottish accents   Answer Question
    Contract pay rate fair and in the range of market.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at National Grid USA.

I applied online in January and received an e-mail in April about a phone interveiw. I had one phone interview and brief e-mail conversation with the hiring manager. They offered me the job less than a week later after I informed them I had another offer.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about a difficult time that you overcame.   View Answer
    I was offered hourly pay based on my major and credit hours earned.

Transmission Planning Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at National Grid USA in April 2013.

Applied online through monster jobs. Roughly a month later, I received an email expressing interest to interview by phone. I was put in a conference call with 4 Division managers. Started off with usual questions like, "why national grid", "why chose engineering", etc. Later it got more technical - mostly questions from my projects and thesis. Once the interview was over, the transmission planning manager called in for a personal interview. Few extra questions from my thesis and later discussed interest in hiring me for his division. In less than a week, the offer was confirmed.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected as every question was related to my research work.   Answer Question
    Since I had to decide on another offer, I called the supervisor and spoke to him about my situation. He called in few minuted later and confirmed the offer.

Junior Mapping Tech Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at National Grid USA in April 2013.

the interview went pretty easy, it was over the phone and no in-person interview was needed, however this job isn't hard and doen't require much GIS knowledge to begin with.

Interview Questions
    • there really want anything hard, very straight forward questions.   Answer Question
    since it's a contract, no negotiations were possible in this case.

Strategy Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at National Grid USA.

I applied in response to a job posting distributed by my alumni networking group. The process consisted of a 20-minute phone screening with a recruiter, a 1-hour phone interview with the hiring manager, then a half-day of in-person interviews at the Waltham HQ. I liked that each interviewer was prepared with a set of non-overlapping questions that clearly showed that they had read my cover letter and considered my resume in some detail.

While it was an overall pleasant experience, one of my biggest pet peeves is the post-interview silence. I did not get the job, however because I had driven 600 miles, round-trip, to meet the team in-person and do 4 hours of interviews in Waltham, I was even more put off that no one had the decency to tell me the final result. I followed up 4 times with no response. How hard is it to reply to a candidate with "We haven't decided yet" or "Sorry, you didn't get the job"?

Interview Questions
    • How would you evaluate whether National Grid should develop utility-scale solar assets in upstate New York?   Answer Question

Manager, Interactive Customer Experience Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied through other source. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at National Grid USA in July 2012.

The job title and descriptions changed 3 times during the recruitment process. My background check was not done and my references never called. I showed up for my first day and my new boss was no longer employed with the company. I did not receive a computer or log-in for 3 weeks from the day I started. It was very challenging

Interview Questions
    • During the interview I was told that one of the team members was " to junior for their job" and the lead was unorganized and needed oversight. Ouch! That was uncomfortable.   Answer Question
    Not transparent, I later found out that information I made my decision to accept was not accurate.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hicksville, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hicksville, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at National Grid USA in June 2012.

Tells us about the company? What interests you about the industry?

Network Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northborough, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northborough, MA

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at National Grid USA in May 2012.

Panel interview, 1st question was Why National Grid. Questions about work, experience, expectations.

Interview Questions
    • Technical questions asked to guage your knowledge and experience.   View Answer
    No negotiations, except on start date.

Lead Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Island City, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Island City, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at National Grid USA in April 2012.

The interview was very vague. No description of day to day job. You can't even get supplies. You're not allowed to have a garbage can in your cube.

Interview Questions
    • There were no real questions about job experience. It was all about what they wanted to do..   Answer Question
    non-existant