National Grid USA Interview Questions & Reviews in Waltham, MA

8 interviews

8 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Junior Mapping Tech Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at National Grid USA in April 2013.

the interview went pretty easy, it was over the phone and no in-person interview was needed, however this job isn't hard and doen't require much GIS knowledge to begin with.

Interview Questions
    • there really want anything hard, very straight forward questions.   Answer Question
    since it's a contract, no negotiations were possible in this case.

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

I interviewed through an employee referral - interviewed at National Grid USA in January 2010.

Phone screening then two interviews with hiring managers

Contract Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at National Grid USA.

Hired through an Agency, mostly phone interviews with NG Managers, work through contract coordinator that seem to be on the ball, but sent me to incorrect address for in person interview.

Interview Questions
    • Standard questions, no surprises, only difficulty was trying to understand thick scottish accents   Answer Question
    Contract pay rate fair and in the range of market.

Transmission Planning Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

I interviewed online. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at National Grid USA in April 2013.

Applied online through monster jobs. Roughly a month later, I received an email expressing interest to interview by phone. I was put in a conference call with 4 Division managers. Started off with usual questions like, "why national grid", "why chose engineering", etc. Later it got more technical - mostly questions from my projects and thesis. Once the interview was over, the transmission planning manager called in for a personal interview. Few extra questions from my thesis and later discussed interest in hiring me for his division. In less than a week, the offer was confirmed.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected as every question was related to my research work.   Answer Question
    Since I had to decide on another offer, I called the supervisor and spoke to him about my situation. He called in few minuted later and confirmed the offer.

Marketing Strategy Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at National Grid USA in March 2012.

First contact came from a contracted recruiter by phone. He conducted a brief phone screen and said he would recommend me to the HR manager. Within a week, the hiring manager called me to set up an in-person interview with herself and one of her colleagues from a related department. This first interview was very challenging as it focused on my technical skills and experiences. I was asked to give examples of situations in which I successfully performed tasks and solved problems similar to those required by the job at hand. A few weeks later I hadn't heard anything and wrote to the hiring manager to inquire. I heard nothing for two weeks after that and assumed I was no longer being considered. Finally I received an email from the hiring manager requesting another interview with her and another senior colleague by phone. That interview was easier and more laid back, as they were trying to figure out if I would be a good personality/work style fit for the team. Within a week, I received another email from the hiring manager asking for a third interview with herself and yet another senior colleague by phone in the same week. I could tell that they were eager to fill to position with this more aggressive timeline. The third interview was much like the second. I received a job offer from HR the same day of my final interview.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of a time when you had to find and utilize both primary and secondary data sources, and also internal and external data sources, to analyze and find insights.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you used primary research to affect change in your organization.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate any terms of the offer because the offer exceeded my expectations. National Grid did a great job to get it right the first time. The job, salary, and benefits were great.

Summer Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Waltham, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at National Grid USA in May 2010.

I was interviewed by two heads of the department that I was applying for. A man and a woman, one after another, they were both very nice and made me feel very comfortable. They also required me to bring in wrinting samples at the interview, an essay paper and a presentation.

The lady, who is also the head of the department called me back after a few days and with the bad news that they went with someone else.

Lead Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

The process took 9 months - interviewed at National Grid USA in December 2009.

Several phone interviews, an informal face to face interview, followed by a formal interview that consisted of a case interview, and then a follow-up leadership/behavioral interview. Then an offer contingent on a medical exam and background check.

Interview Questions
    • It was a case interview based on new drilling technology they had discovered.   View Answer
    I was able to negotiate 10% higher than the initial offer.

Engineering Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Waltham, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

The process took a day - interviewed at National Grid USA in November 2009.

After going over my resume, we talked about the job and my interests. Then I was given a tour, and that was it. I received an offer about a week later.

Interview Questions

Worked for National Grid USA? Contribute to the Community!