National Health Service Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Jun 30, 2015

3.2

Pharmacy Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at National Health Service in May 2015.

Interview

Standard NHS online application - I applied ages before closing date so it was a while before I got contacted for interview.

Test - Conducted in fairly busy waiting room for pharmacy arithmatic. Easy with experience.

Interview - 3:1. Had a nice chat, they were friendly and questions were pretty easy for someone with my experience.

Standard questions as well as some scenarios.

Clinical Support Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lancaster, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at National Health Service (Lancaster, England (UK)).

Interview

The interview was an overall positive experience. There were a large group of us waiting to be interviewed and they called us in one by one for a 10 minute interview with 2 people questioning. The questions were a mix of competency based questions and also scenario based questions asking how you would react to certain situations on the hospital wards. There were no tasks involved and after the interview we were asked to leave the room for 2 minutes and then asked back in, where they told us the outcome of our interview.

Interview Questions

• What steps would you take if you saw somebody fall on the ward?   Answer Question

Project Support Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at National Health Service (London, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

Without filling detailed application form (incl. STRONG supporting statement) one can forget about being invited to the interview (talking from external candidate perspective without prior NHS experience). Received a text message about interview (1.5 days notice!, so if I was in employment it might have been difficult to accommodate) and replied to email to confirm my attendance. Was allocated time slot (the message said - first come first serve, so replied within 30 mins).
    *Interview:
    First part was a test:
    a) read a page long document and summarise it in bullet points for briefing;
    b) mixed dates and list of tasks (perhaps names too but don't remember) to be put in order for planning a project in NHS environment (it pays off to know average time scale for consulting with stakeholders etc. and know about NHS projects)
    *Interview:
    panel interview - 2 people, formal, answering questions while both were taking notes.

After the interview: I was not seen off to the door as a previous candidate was (I could see it from the reception while was waiting for my time slot) but shown where to go.

I received no answer regarding the outcome of the interview at all.
    I also received no reply to my email asking for the feedback.

Interview Questions

• How did you track project progress? How do you prioritise? Organising and facilitating meetings?   Answer Question

Graduate Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at National Health Service (London, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

After the online tests, there is an interview, where there are two interviewers, both seemed like senior management level. They will ask questions prepared for them on a list one by one.

Interview Questions

• All competency questions, such as describe a situation where you completed a difficult task, worked with others, something you could have done better, etc.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at National Health Service in February 2015.

Interview

Plenty of online tests and written motivational questions to answer. Actual interview is a mixture of motivational and competency questions but nothing out of the ordinary. Interview is relaxed and lasts around half an hour.

Graduate Scheme Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at National Health Service (London, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

Application form: standard
    Online tests: personality, situational judgement, numerical and verbal
    Interview: basic competency questions with senior managers. They require very detailed answers so really think about why you want this job and make sure you prepare using the leadership framework

Interview Questions

• Basic competency questions: very detailed and they really want to know what you did

Why nhs? Why this scheme? Insufficient to just give a general answer

Answer Question

General Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at National Health Service (Leeds, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

'Match Me' assessment where you can see if your opinions and values will fit well with the scheme, online tests (numerical and verbal reasoning, both Kenexa tests), personality assessment (i.e. strongly disagree - strongly agree statements, over 100 questions), 2:1 face to face interview with at least one senior manager, assessment centre spanning over 8.5 hours.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time you worked in a team when you weren't meant to   Answer Question

Clinical Manager NEMS Notts Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nottingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at National Health Service (Nottingham, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

Ambiguous non-clinical questions that seemed devoid of any clinical compassion towards staff and patient's. Not at all patient focussed and the whole process seemed 'flat' with complex questions from the Chief Executive who hardly smiled. Very unnerving and disheartening. I knew that I hadn't got the job almost as soon as I entered the room...I could just tell. The person that got the job was actually waiting outside in a fairly busy office dressed in jeans but obviously observing the 'competition', again not appropriate and very unsettling.

Interview Questions

• How would you reject a service that you felt was innapropriate by the Commisioners?   1 Answer

Administrator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at National Health Service.

Interview

I applied for an Admin job with NHS Amber Valley Recruitment Team. I was interviewed (bullied, intimidated, ripped apart) by the senior manager who constantly talked over me during the process, asked me specific questions and after giving my answer would tear my answer apart and make me look stupid and then respond by advising my answer should have been ... and quoted my exact answer I gave originally!!!! It was awful. She was on such a power trip it was unreal.

Interview Questions

• The question was not difficult but if you see above comments box, the manager dismissed my answer but then repeated my answer as the model answer I should have given! I was asked if a patient phoned after sending a letter to attend an appointment with a specialist and wanted to know the reason for the appointment what would I say?   1 Answer

Finance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at National Health Service (Birmingham, England (UK)) in January 2015.

Interview

Initial application with generic questions i.e. Why this role, achievement most proud of to date, example of a time you worked in a team.

Then a numerical test for which passing provided access to interview with 3 existing employees and meet and greet with existing grad scheme members.