National Institute of Standards and Technology

Updated Sep 4, 2014
Updated Sep 4, 2014

2.9

Researcher Interview

I applied through other source - interviewed at National Institute of Standards and Technology.

It went very well. Nice friendly people. Nice location Just HR Takes a very long time.
    I didn't apply, was recommended so they emailed me and scheduled a day for me to come in. Everyone was nice to talk to and the questions were simple questions, nothing too trivial. Good experience,

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gaithersburg, MD

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at National Institute of Standards and Technology in October 2011.

Primarily over the phone. The hiring is ~90% related to your NRC post-doc proposal. Oddly, you can contact scientists who have NRC listings and go through the entire proposal and hiring process without having any great deal of contact with your future boss.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult part was waiting for a committee to approve your proposal. You will never know how you compare to others since funding is usually limited and different divisions split the funding. For some reason your undergraduate gap seems contribute a great deal toward your overall ranking.   View Answer

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 months - interviewed at National Institute of Standards and Technology.

I was contacted through my PI and sent over my CV. A phone interview was scheduled. Due to various travel arrangements, I visited the campus in MD for a day much later. I met with senior, mid-level, and post-doc level scientists. I presented a one hour talk attended by about 30 people. This was followed by a Q&A. At the conclusion of the interview, I did not hear a response for a few months.

Interview Questions
    • It is highly unlikely that the NIST hires from within for project leader positions. Where do you see yourself after completing a postdoc?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at National Institute of Standards and Technology.

I was referred to an opening by my adviser. Sent my CV and was asked to do an onsite interview. Onsite took a day. Met with a lot of people and learned about the groups work. Work wasn't in line with my interests.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at National Institute of Standards and Technology.

Through NRC committee review followed by on-site interview

Interview Questions
    • How your previous research experiences can fit to NIST's interest   Answer Question

Project Leader Interview

It was a very smooth process. First, I was invited to give a presentation and met with many people for interview. We talked about research and persons that we all know. I asked about the environment of NIST. After one month or so, I received an offer letter as a NRC postdoc. After two years, I became term and after 5 years I became permanent staff.

Interview Questions
    • Not really. But the waiting time from a term to permanent was really difficult.   Answer Question

Guest Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boulder, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at National Institute of Standards and Technology in June 2008.

Present the previous research, lot of questions and drilling, ask intelligent questions

Interview Questions
    • Technical question. How to solve the non-linear noise problem   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boulder, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

interviewed at National Institute of Standards and Technology in January 2011.

Interviewed by the lab director.

Mathematician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gaithersburg, MD

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at National Institute of Standards and Technology in January 2012.

I interviewed with (Multimodal Information). First I had to submit all my job application materials online (as per usual). Then I was asked for a phone interview which consisted of one main interviewer and two others in the background that would add comments or ask questions sporadically. They told me they phone interviewed ten. I was then invited for an on-site interview. They paid all expenses (airfare, hotel, per diem) related to the travel. The on-site interview consisted of a presentation to a group of a dozen or so members of their group, and the rest of the time being spent with one or two main interviewers. They asked questions ranging from skills assessment to fit. They told me they brought three to interview on site. Pleasant interview experience, good group.

Interview Questions
    • Have you any experience in developing benchmark tests for speaker recognition algorithms?   Answer Question

Physics Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gaithersburg, MD

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at National Institute of Standards and Technology in April 2009.

I emailed lab directors directly for labs I was interested in working for (no one looks at the online application system). I met with lab directors directly in 1:1 interviews, discussing my background and the group's projects.

Interview Questions

Worked for National Institute of Standards and Technology? Contribute to the Community!