National Institute of Standards and Technology

Relevance Date Difficulty

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Postdoctoral Researcher
Gaithersburg, MD

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at National Institute of Standards and Technology in October 2011.

Interview Details – Primarily over the phone. The hiring is ~90% related to your NRC post-doc proposal. Oddly, you can contact scientists who have NRC listings and go through the entire proposal and hiring process without having any great deal of contact with your future boss.

Interview Question – Most difficult part was waiting for a committee to approve your proposal. You will never know how you compare to others since funding is usually limited and different divisions split the funding. For some reason your undergraduate gap seems contribute a great deal toward your overall ranking.   View Answer

Postdoctoral Research Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 months - interviewed at National Institute of Standards and Technology.

Interview Details – I was contacted through my PI and sent over my CV. A phone interview was scheduled. Due to various travel arrangements, I visited the campus in MD for a day much later. I met with senior, mid-level, and post-doc level scientists. I presented a one hour talk attended by about 30 people. This was followed by a Q&A. At the conclusion of the interview, I did not hear a response for a few months.

Interview Question – It is highly unlikely that the NIST hires from within for project leader positions. Where do you see yourself after completing a postdoc?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Associate

The process took a day - interviewed at National Institute of Standards and Technology.

Interview Details – I was referred to an opening by my adviser. Sent my CV and was asked to do an onsite interview. Onsite took a day. Met with a lot of people and learned about the groups work. Work wasn't in line with my interests.

Postdoctoral Research Associate

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at National Institute of Standards and Technology.

Interview Details – Through NRC committee review followed by on-site interview

Interview Question – How your previous research experiences can fit to NIST's interest   Answer Question

Project Leader Interview

Project Leader

Interviewed at National Institute of Standards and Technology

Interview Details – It was a very smooth process. First, I was invited to give a presentation and met with many people for interview. We talked about research and persons that we all know. I asked about the environment of NIST. After one month or so, I received an offer letter as a NRC postdoc. After two years, I became term and after 5 years I became permanent staff.

Interview Question – Not really. But the waiting time from a term to permanent was really difficult.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Guest Researcher Interview

Guest Researcher
Boulder, CO

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at National Institute of Standards and Technology in June 2008.

Interview Details – Present the previous research, lot of questions and drilling, ask intelligent questions

Interview Question – Technical question. How to solve the non-linear noise problem   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
Boulder, CO

I interviewed at National Institute of Standards and Technology in January 2011.

Interview Details – Interviewed by the lab director.

Interview Question – Mostly HR questions.   Answer Question

Mathematician Interview

Mathematician
Gaithersburg, MD

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at National Institute of Standards and Technology in January 2012.

Interview Details – I interviewed with (Multimodal Information). First I had to submit all my job application materials online (as per usual). Then I was asked for a phone interview which consisted of one main interviewer and two others in the background that would add comments or ask questions sporadically. They told me they phone interviewed ten. I was then invited for an on-site interview. They paid all expenses (airfare, hotel, per diem) related to the travel. The on-site interview consisted of a presentation to a group of a dozen or so members of their group, and the rest of the time being spent with one or two main interviewers. They asked questions ranging from skills assessment to fit. They told me they brought three to interview on site. Pleasant interview experience, good group.

Interview Question – Have you any experience in developing benchmark tests for speaker recognition algorithms?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Physics Technician Interview

Physics Technician
Gaithersburg, MD

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at National Institute of Standards and Technology in April 2009.

Interview Details – I emailed lab directors directly for labs I was interested in working for (no one looks at the online application system). I met with lab directors directly in 1:1 interviews, discussing my background and the group's projects.

Interview Question – Why are you interested in our group?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Fellow
Gaithersburg, MD

The process took a day - interviewed at National Institute of Standards and Technology in November 2009.

Interview Details – phone interview, question about your current project

Interview Question – what is your phd project?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at National Institute of Standards and Technology

Worked for National Institute of Standards and Technology? Contribute to the Community!