National Instruments Applications Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Oct 15, 2014

3.3

39 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Applications Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at National Instruments.

Campus interview. Submit resume during the career fair. Get contacted for campus interview in two weeks.Then, interviewed with different engineers and questions are varied type from HW to SW.

Interview Questions
  • Ask questions ranging from resume projects to basic circuit design MOS, embedded system, memory, computer architecture, interrupt design, state diagram, and Java coding.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for National Instruments

Applications Engineer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at National Instruments.

The interview involved two part process. First part was technical, which tested for IQ and math questions. Second part was personality, which tested the candidate if he or she had the leadership and sales potential.

Interview Questions
    • A candle takes 1 hour to burn down. How would you measure 15 minutes if you had 2 candles?   Answer Question

Applications Engineer Interview

Apply on portal at National Instruments website with Resume (offline hiring). Followed by two rounds of interview, one technical and another HR round. In case of on campus hiring, a technical and aptitude test followed by GD and two interview rounds.

Interview Questions
    • A difficult question from HR regarding whether or not will you join the company after internship   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Two rounds of interviews, first one was on campus and short. Technical and behavioral questions. The second round was a full day of interviews including a technical interview, behavioral interview, marketing interview, sales interview (or you could choose R&D instead of marketing or sales), and 10 minute technical presentation. The technical interview for the second round was harder than the first round.

Interview Questions
    • I can't remember specific questions. The behavioral ones can sometimes be tough so think of stories that can be applied to these types of questions.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at National Instruments in October 2011.

Day long interview process including several one on one interviews, a technical interview, and giving a presentation.

Interview Questions
    • Name one time you failed. What were the results of the failure and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Seemed like a good company but salary offer was low for the field.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at National Instruments in November 2010.

I had never heard of NI before I attended a college career fair. They had a large booth of recruiters and multiple career path opportunities. I chose to pursue their Engineering Leadership Program because it seems to be a great fit for both my engineering and management aspirations. NI did a great job of selling their company at the career fair. I had a 1 on 1 interview at the career fair and was invited for a second interview and company visit about 2 weeks later. The invitation was for both my wife and I to come to Austin for further interviews and a better introduction to the company. I was able to choose between 7 different weeks to come. Because they required a 10 minute technical presentation I chose a date that allowed me a little time to prepare.

We flew into Austin on a Thursday and had interviews all day Friday. I was more than impressed with the company. Everything they had said about their culture was true. Our candidate group for ELP was a little large but they said on average there are about 8 - 12 candidates per group. The ELP floor was a great atmosphere to be in. Very young and very hip. While I have never interviewed at Google I would have to guess that the work environment at NI is similar to the stories that I hear about Google.

The day started by sitting with the Company CEO (Dr. T) and listening to him give a 45 minute presentation about the history of the company. The day consisted of 5 1:1 interviews and one 10 minute technical presentation. The presentations were given by groups of two candidates to about 5 other employees. I thought it was interesting that they had existing employees do all of the interviews. In general any employee that interviewed you did not interview any other candidates. I guess they all get together afterward and kind of have a draft pick.

The technical interview was fairly easy. They try to give you a question that you cannot give a textbook answer to. One that you will have to work through so that they can watch your thought processes. The only trying interview was the behavioral one.

They assigned me a host employee who walked me through the entire process. They took the entire group to dinner on Friday and Saturday night. We flew out Sunday morning. All in all it was a great interview. They put us in a wonderful hotel, gave us a rental car, great food, great introduction to many employees, great introduction to Austin, great introduction to other candidates, great service. They say they will get back to me in 2 - 4 weeks. I expect that they will give an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you had to make a difficult choice which could have led to negative consequences?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at National Instruments in November 2010.

First, there was an interview on campus with a sales representative. Then, an all-day interview took place in Austin, TX at their headquarters, consisting of five 1:1 interviews and one 10-minute technical presentation. The presentation was given to 2-3 NI employees and 3-4 other competing candidates. The experience was enjoyable and the interviews were not stressful. They flew me out for the entire weekend, put me up in a really nice hotel for 3 nights, assigned to me a host who showed me around the whole weekend, took everyone to downtown Austin, went bar-hopping, and out to dinner.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at National Instruments in August 2008.

Behavioral/Technical on-campus, Behavioral/Technical on-site (NI). One historical interview (they just get your salary expectations). A technical presentation. It was a long day, but the difficulty was not that high.

Interview Questions
    • Creating a hardware quadrature encoder.   View Answer
    Very little negotiations. I had a Master's so I got them to bump the pay a mere $1k. They have a number in mind and you are not going to get much higher.

Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Budapest (Hungary)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Budapest (Hungary)

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at National Instruments in August 2014.

I contacted a recruiter, who forwarded my CV and Cl to the NI site at Budapest. The HR of NI contacted me and we agreed on an appointment for an interview with an employee. The interview was guided by a general and ordinary employee -- the future me, optionally. It was a schemed interview and the man filled out a question form basically. Afterwards, there should have been another interview in person, but the HR of NI missed the place I live completely and there was too late for another interview for me then.

Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warsaw (Poland)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warsaw (Poland)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at National Instruments in November 2013.

I applied via their website, and was contacted 2 weeks later for a phone interview.

The phone interview was about 50 minutes I've got some behavioral questions, 2 technical questions and questions about my course of study and projects I've been working on. Interviewer was very nice and helpful with answering my questions at the end of the interview. The technical questions were: 1) describe a system to display a temperature inside the fridge. 2) describe an algorithm to check an array for missing data. The interviewer was one of team leaders from application engineering team.

Then I was accepted for the second interview. It was with one of sales engineers. It was held in a hotel lobby. It took about one hour. Again I was asked to describe my university projects. Then were technical questions of a wide range from data acquisition and pattern matching algorithms, to how works operational amplifier and step motor. At the end they've got some behavioral questions. Again the interviewer was very nice and the interview was held in a a very friendly atmosphere.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a system for acquiring and visualising speech data as precisely as possible.   View Answer