National Instruments

Getting the Interview

35 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Applications Engineer Interview

I applied through other source and the process took 3 days - interviewed at National Instruments.

Interview Details – The interview involved two part process. First part was technical, which tested for IQ and math questions. Second part was personality, which tested the candidate if he or she had the leadership and sales potential.

Interview Question – A candle takes 1 hour to burn down. How would you measure 15 minutes if you had 2 candles?   Answer Question

Interviewed at National Instruments

Interview Details – Apply on portal at National Instruments website with Resume (offline hiring). Followed by two rounds of interview, one technical and another HR round. In case of on campus hiring, a technical and aptitude test followed by GD and two interview rounds.

Interview Question – A difficult question from HR regarding whether or not will you join the company after internship   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at National Instruments.

Interview Details – Two rounds of interviews, first one was on campus and short. Technical and behavioral questions. The second round was a full day of interviews including a technical interview, behavioral interview, marketing interview, sales interview (or you could choose R&D instead of marketing or sales), and 10 minute technical presentation. The technical interview for the second round was harder than the first round.

Interview Question – I can't remember specific questions. The behavioral ones can sometimes be tough so think of stories that can be applied to these types of questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at National Instruments in August 2008.

Interview Details – Behavioral/Technical on-campus, Behavioral/Technical on-site (NI). One historical interview (they just get your salary expectations). A technical presentation. It was a long day, but the difficulty was not that high.

Interview Question – Creating a hardware quadrature encoder.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Very little negotiations. I had a Master's so I got them to bump the pay a mere $1k. They have a number in mind and you are not going to get much higher.

Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at National Instruments in October 2011.

Interview Details – Day long interview process including several one on one interviews, a technical interview, and giving a presentation.

Interview Question – Name one time you failed. What were the results of the failure and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Seemed like a good company but salary offer was low for the field.

Austin, TX

The process took 3 days - interviewed at National Instruments in November 2010.

Interview Details – First, there was an interview on campus with a sales representative. Then, an all-day interview took place in Austin, TX at their headquarters, consisting of five 1:1 interviews and one 10-minute technical presentation. The presentation was given to 2-3 NI employees and 3-4 other competing candidates. The experience was enjoyable and the interviews were not stressful. They flew me out for the entire weekend, put me up in a really nice hotel for 3 nights, assigned to me a host who showed me around the whole weekend, took everyone to downtown Austin, went bar-hopping, and out to dinner.

Interview Question – Technical question: About transistors   View Answer

Austin, TX

The process took 2 months - interviewed at National Instruments in November 2010.

Interview Details – I had never heard of NI before I attended a college career fair. They had a large booth of recruiters and multiple career path opportunities. I chose to pursue their Engineering Leadership Program because it seems to be a great fit for both my engineering and management aspirations. NI did a great job of selling their company at the career fair. I had a 1 on 1 interview at the career fair and was invited for a second interview and company visit about 2 weeks later. The invitation was for both my wife and I to come to Austin for further interviews and a better introduction to the company. I was able to choose between 7 different weeks to come. Because they required a 10 minute technical presentation I chose a date that allowed me a little time to prepare.

We flew into Austin on a Thursday and had interviews all day Friday. I was more than impressed with the company. Everything they had said about their culture was true. Our candidate group for ELP was a little large but they said on average there are about 8 - 12 candidates per group. The ELP floor was a great atmosphere to be in. Very young and very hip. While I have never interviewed at Google I would have to guess that the work environment at NI is similar to the stories that I hear about Google.

The day started by sitting with the Company CEO (Dr. T) and listening to him give a 45 minute presentation about the history of the company. The day consisted of 5 1:1 interviews and one 10 minute technical presentation. The presentations were given by groups of two candidates to about 5 other employees. I thought it was interesting that they had existing employees do all of the interviews. In general any employee that interviewed you did not interview any other candidates. I guess they all get together afterward and kind of have a draft pick.

The technical interview was fairly easy. They try to give you a question that you cannot give a textbook answer to. One that you will have to work through so that they can watch your thought processes. The only trying interview was the behavioral one.

They assigned me a host employee who walked me through the entire process. They took the entire group to dinner on Friday and Saturday night. We flew out Sunday morning. All in all it was a great interview. They put us in a wonderful hotel, gave us a rental car, great food, great introduction to many employees, great introduction to Austin, great introduction to other candidates, great service. They say they will get back to me in 2 - 4 weeks. I expect that they will give an offer.

Interview Question – Name a time when you had to make a difficult choice which could have led to negative consequences?   View Answer

Delhi (India)

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at National Instruments in March 2013.

Interview Details – Apti,technical 1,2

Interview Question – How do you give +5v to any microcontroller   Answer Question

Applications Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at National Instruments in February 2010.

Interview Details – Basic technical questions about sampling theory. Situational questions to assess job and culture fit

Interview Question – Explain the sampling theory of ADC and explain what is FFT   View Answer

Warsaw (Poland)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at National Instruments in November 2013.

Interview Details – I applied via their website, and was contacted 2 weeks later for a phone interview.

The phone interview was about 50 minutes I've got some behavioral questions, 2 technical questions and questions about my course of study and projects I've been working on. Interviewer was very nice and helpful with answering my questions at the end of the interview. The technical questions were: 1) describe a system to display a temperature inside the fridge. 2) describe an algorithm to check an array for missing data. The interviewer was one of team leaders from application engineering team.

Then I was accepted for the second interview. It was with one of sales engineers. It was held in a hotel lobby. It took about one hour. Again I was asked to describe my university projects. Then were technical questions of a wide range from data acquisition and pattern matching algorithms, to how works operational amplifier and step motor. At the end they've got some behavioral questions. Again the interviewer was very nice and the interview was held in a a very friendly atmosphere.

Interview Question – Describe a system for acquiring and visualising speech data as precisely as possible.   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at National Instruments

Worked for National Instruments? Contribute to the Community!

National Instruments Videos

National Instruments – Why Work for Us?

NI employees enjoy a work environment framed more by guidelines rather than hard and fast rules; an outstanding, multifaceted compensation and benefits package; and access to tools and resources equipping them to drive… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at National Instruments Applications Engineer interview questions and advice. All 35 interview reviews posted anonymously by National Instruments employees and interview candidates.