National Instruments Interview Questions in Austin, TX

Updated Mar 24, 2015

3.1

Engineering Leadership Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at National Instruments in March 2015.

Interviewers came to my campus and conducted a number of on-campus interviews. These lasted 45 minutes and included behavioral and technical questions.

A couple of weeks later I was invited to visit Austin; the expense of the travel and hotel were paid. The trip to the NI campus involved a number of presentations on the company philosophy in the morning, followed by five interviews and presentations given by all interviewees. The day ends with a tour of the departments.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at National Instruments in February 2015.

I spoke to NI at a career expo at my university and got a interview a week later. The interview was fairly relaxed with it having the typical interview questions everyone seems to get which were two behavior questions and finding the average of a binary search tree. I didn't think I did that great, but apparently got an offer 4 weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • A time where you showed leadership. About past projects and how I overcame a particularly difficult bug. How to get the average of a binary search tree.   Answer Question

Programmer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I met the company at the Texas Tech career fair. I was schedule for an interview the next day on campus. I was told that they would contact me within the next week. I received a call almost a week later stating they wanted to send me to Austin for the second round of interviews. In Austin, we met the team, the company, and the city.

Interview Questions
    • How would you describe the Internet to someone that doesn't know what it is?   Answer Question
    • Talk about a time when you had to sacrifice something for the better of the team.   Answer Question
    • Database Diagram for a movie rental store.   Answer Question

Applications (ELP) Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at National Instruments in February 2015.

First round interview was at school campus. A few behavioral and technical questions.

Second round was at Austin, TX. Five half hour interviews in one day, and a 10 minute technical presentation on a topic of your choosing. Software/Hardware and some departmental interviews.

Response time was very quick, but not a lot of time given to prepare for interviews before. Everyone I interviewed with was extremely kind and casual.

Interview Questions
    • What components would you need to set up an air conditioner, and how would you do so? Note: They were pretty good at helping think through the problem and explaining things if you didn't know. I didn't know 100% of the answer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at National Instruments in February 2015.

About a 45 minute long interview process. Was interviewed by two people, one a manager and the other an employee there. Mainly asked about projects on resume and courses I've taken, some behavioral questions, then one technical question about implementing a dynamic array. Seems like the majority of the time was spent on resume/behavioral stuff as opposed to technical. Overall not too bad. Be sure to know your data structures!

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at National Instruments in February 2015.

I had two interviewers, from two different teams. They both took turns discussing the company, as well as what they do, how they are structured, etc. Then we went into my resume and discussed almost every employment opportunity I've had and the projects that stemmed from those opportunities. We talked about my interpersonal communication skills and how important that was to the company and their individual teams. Lastly, they questioned me thoroughly on the projects I've completed for other companies, such as difficult bugs I've encountered and other problem solving situations. Lastly, we had a single technical question where I had to write code on paper in a timed format while they waited.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at National Instruments in February 2015.

The interviewer is very friendly. There is no specific programming language to use for the problem. They mainly focus on problem solving skills. The interviewer told me that they don't care if the candidate know much about C++, they can put you on their training classes to learn. So don't worry about the interview if you don't know C++. I'm still waiting for an offer.

Applications (ELP) Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at National Instruments in January 2015.

I came into contact with them at a University career fair. I then had a in person interview the next day with one of the recruiters. He asked me two basic technical questions. After a while they asked me to come to Austin for an interview. They fly or pay to drive you down to Austin and invite you to stay the whole weekend. The interview is on a Friday but they pay for you to stay in a hotel until Sunday and even arrange hosts from the company to meet with you on Saturday and take you to different parts of Austin. They also give you per diem to pay for any meals or parking you may have to pay. They were very generous and accommodating throughout the interview process. The technical questions they ask generally they just walk you through a process. They are kind of tricky but if you just think aloud you should be fine.

Interview Questions
    • If you have an array of 100 randomly arranged integers, ranging 0-100, how do you find out which element from 0-100 is not in the list?   View Answer
    I did not negotiate.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at National Instruments in October 2014.

Very easy, the people are really nice. They really love to work there, they gives you your personal host . As usual they give you 3 interview each last 1 hour

Only 65k before tax salary

Engineering Leadership Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university – interviewed at National Instruments in September 2014.

After a career fair, I received an email asking if I would like to have an on campus interview about 2 weeks later. The interviewer was a young, applications engineer. We discussed how the company works and what an entry level engineer (new grad) would go through. After the details of the company and me asking a couple of questions the interview got technical. They asked 2 questions related to the work they do:coding and hardware. I was rusty and probably didn't answer the questions very well. If you're going to interview with them make sure you have a good coding background and understand some Mechatronics and how hardware components work. The interview lasted about 40 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • Basically, how does a microphone connected to a computer work and where would you place an amplifier on the system to avoid problems.   Answer Question