National Instruments

Updated Feb 24, 2015

3.1

Applications (ELP) Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at National Instruments in February 2015.

First round interview was at school campus. A few behavioral and technical questions.

Second round was at Austin, TX. Five half hour interviews in one day, and a 10 minute technical presentation on a topic of your choosing. Software/Hardware and some departmental interviews.

Response time was very quick, but not a lot of time given to prepare for interviews before. Everyone I interviewed with was extremely kind and casual.

Interview Questions
    • What components would you need to set up an air conditioner, and how would you do so? Note: They were pretty good at helping think through the problem and explaining things if you didn't know. I didn't know 100% of the answer.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Intern I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at National Instruments in February 2015.

About a 45 minute long interview process. Was interviewed by two people, one a manager and the other an employee there. Mainly asked about projects on resume and courses I've taken, some behavioral questions, then one technical question about implementing a dynamic array. Seems like the majority of the time was spent on resume/behavioral stuff as opposed to technical. Overall not too bad. Be sure to know your data structures!

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at National Instruments in February 2015.

I had two interviewers, from two different teams. They both took turns discussing the company, as well as what they do, how they are structured, etc. Then we went into my resume and discussed almost every employment opportunity I've had and the projects that stemmed from those opportunities. We talked about my interpersonal communication skills and how important that was to the company and their individual teams. Lastly, they questioned me thoroughly on the projects I've completed for other companies, such as difficult bugs I've encountered and other problem solving situations. Lastly, we had a single technical question where I had to write code on paper in a timed format while they waited.

Software Engineering Intern I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at National Instruments in February 2015.

The interviewer is very friendly. There is no specific programming language to use for the problem. They mainly focus on problem solving skills. The interviewer told me that they don't care if the candidate know much about C++, they can put you on their training classes to learn. So don't worry about the interview if you don't know C++. I'm still waiting for an offer.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at National Instruments in October 2014.

Very easy, the people are really nice. They really love to work there, they gives you your personal host . As usual they give you 3 interview each last 1 hour

Only 65k before tax salary

Engineering Leadership Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university – interviewed at National Instruments in September 2014.

After a career fair, I received an email asking if I would like to have an on campus interview about 2 weeks later. The interviewer was a young, applications engineer. We discussed how the company works and what an entry level engineer (new grad) would go through. After the details of the company and me asking a couple of questions the interview got technical. They asked 2 questions related to the work they do:coding and hardware. I was rusty and probably didn't answer the questions very well. If you're going to interview with them make sure you have a good coding background and understand some Mechatronics and how hardware components work. The interview lasted about 40 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • Basically, how does a microphone connected to a computer work and where would you place an amplifier on the system to avoid problems.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at National Instruments in September 2014.

I met them at a career fair. After submitting my resume in person and online, they called and said I got an interview. I got a 1 to 1 interview at my school. I got asked one technical question and a bunch of stuff about my resume

Interview Questions
    • How to find the average number in a binary search tree   Answer Question

R&D Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at National Instruments in July 2014.

I had my resume sent by a professor at my college to NI. A Senior Software Engineer contacted me and asked me to apply through their system and within a few days gave me a screening call. I was asked to interview with them, and was told in an email to dress business professional and to arrive shortly before 9 AM. The scheduled interview was within two weeks of the screening call.

Not one person in the entire building was wearing business professional clothes, including my interviewers. The woman who met me in the lobby to take me to the first of three interviews I was scheduled for met me and took me to a room, then handed me a packet of information about NI. I wasn't even given an opportunity to tour the building, even though I had been waiting for nearly half an hour in the lobby.

Shortly after I was left in the interview room the first team arrived. They asked basic questions, and seemed friendly enough. I was asked to come up with a sorting algorithm for a deck of cards and then asked to develop methods for shuffling those cards.

Literally as soon as the first team left, the second person (the same who I spoke with on the phone) interviewed me. He actually brought some of the hardware he worked with into the interview to show me, which I appreciated. He asked me to use a diagram to create a workflow. The objective was to determine how to effectively complete the processes and pick up that it was a matter of processor core optimization.

When the second interview ended, I was immediately taken to a different floor (though the interviewer bothered to walk me by one of his team's work areas to show me) where the final team was already waiting to interview me. They were the radio frequency team, and it was obvious the moment I sat down that the main guy interviewing me had zero interest in hiring me. I could tell from the tone of his voice that he felt he was wasting his time before I had said a thing other than pleased to meet you. He asked questions such as where do I see myself in 5 years, and what was the most interesting problem I debugged. He then gave me basic programming problems, and the interview ended with questions about salary and which team I preferred working with.

By the end of it, I had been interviewing nonstop for 3 hours strait. Not once was I offered a drink or any time to read the packet of information I was handed. At the end of the third interview, which I could tell the interviewer cared nothing for as he barely acknowledged any of my comments and made remarks about how far I could go at NI with just an associated degree, I was shown to the lobby and not even offered lunch. I received a rejection email within two business days. Good riddance. They don't even offer competitive salaries. I was looked at funny when I even asked for 50k even though I made as much without a degree.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really. Basic programming. Nothing even close to linked lists, binary trees, or maps.   View Answer

Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online – interviewed at National Instruments.

I found the job online and applied. Had nearly forgotten about it when I got an email almost 8 weeks later asking for more information and writing samples. Then they set up a phone interview and an editing test.
    The phone interview asked for more context about some of the portfolio I had submitted, and past experience. Most of it was behavioral questions about conflicts during group work.
    I was then invited to their company HQ to interview in person. It was a series of interviews, typically with a few interviewers, and a couple 1 on 1 interviews and demonstrations. Most questions were about how I worked with groups, and how I approached learning new things.

Interview Questions
    • Since most questions were behavioral, the hardest thing was trying to give fresh answers. I didn't want to rehash the same stories at every interview, because I thought I would come across as boring when they compared notes and all got the same story.   Answer Question

Human Resources Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at National Instruments in March 2014.

I met recruiters at a college fair. They told me to wait around for the HR rep to come in. When she did, we spoke for a little about the internship more generally, and then she basically interviewed me on the spot and told me she would get back to me within the week.

Interview Questions
    • Would you call yourself mature and can you handle sensitive information?   Answer Question
    I followed up with her on Linkedin, and about one week later she got back to me with an offer. I wanted to get paid so I was happy to take any offer she gave me.