National Instruments

Relevance Date Difficulty

Technical Writer Interview

Technical Writer
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at National Instruments in March 2012.

Interview Details – After submitting a resume through their web site, I was asked to interview with two technical writers. Then I was also asked to edit a document in Acrobat Pro under timed conditions.

Interview Question – The folks interviewing me all had degrees in writing; none of them had any kind of engineering or science degree for working at an engineering company. That seemed rather odd.   Answer Question

Technical Writer Interview

Technical Writer
Austin, TX

I applied online and interviewed at National Instruments.

Interview Details – I found the job online and applied. Had nearly forgotten about it when I got an email almost 8 weeks later asking for more information and writing samples. Then they set up a phone interview and an editing test.
The phone interview asked for more context about some of the portfolio I had submitted, and past experience. Most of it was behavioral questions about conflicts during group work.
I was then invited to their company HQ to interview in person. It was a series of interviews, typically with a few interviewers, and a couple 1 on 1 interviews and demonstrations. Most questions were about how I worked with groups, and how I approached learning new things.

Interview Question – Since most questions were behavioral, the hardest thing was trying to give fresh answers. I didn't want to rehash the same stories at every interview, because I thought I would come across as boring when they compared notes and all got the same story.   Answer Question

Human Resources Intern Interview

Human Resources Intern
Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at National Instruments in March 2014.

Interview Details – I met recruiters at a college fair. They told me to wait around for the HR rep to come in. When she did, we spoke for a little about the internship more generally, and then she basically interviewed me on the spot and told me she would get back to me within the week.

Interview Question – Would you call yourself mature and can you handle sensitive information?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I followed up with her on Linkedin, and about one week later she got back to me with an offer. I wanted to get paid so I was happy to take any offer she gave me.

Technical Sales Representative Interview

Technical Sales Representative
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at National Instruments in August 2011.

Interview Details – You interview all day with multiple sales manageres.

Interview Question – What do you know about NI products?   Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Intern Interview

Electrical Engineer Intern
Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at National Instruments in February 2014.

Interview Details – Find that job opportunity via Career Fair, then is an on-campus interview, after that will decide whether to give an offer or not.

Interview Question – Only behavior question like why choose NI, or the problem when you doing project, since the two interviewers are not majoring in Electrical Engineer.   Answer Question

Digital Hardware Engineer Interview

Digital Hardware Engineer
Austin, TX

I applied through college or university - interviewed at National Instruments in October 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring managers were very nice. The first couple of question were regarding my work experience listed in my resume. Next, they asked several question about my social skills like working in team, decision making, and problem solving skills. Last, I had technical question about light traffic. They wanted to see flowchart of the light traffic, and its possible design in hardware.

Interview Question – The questions were decent. They tried to make you relax   Answer Question

Hardware Engineer Interview

Hardware Engineer
Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at National Instruments in January 2014.

Interview Details – Applied through school and interviewed on campus.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult   Answer Question

Senior Engineer Interview

Senior Engineer
Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at National Instruments.

Interview Details – Very tedious. Eight hour on campus interview after two phone interviews

Interview Question – Situation questions to determine reaction in a consensus work environment. Most technical questions were very straight-forward.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Senior Test Engineer Interview

Senior Test Engineer
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 3+ months - interviewed at National Instruments in June 2012.

Interview Details – I applied in April 2012, and got a phone interview in May 2012. The interview was 80% technical related to measurements, EE, DMMs, etc. I was invited for a personal interview at Austin TX in June. I was on a vacation in TX already so I requested for a 1/2 day interview on a Friday and NI accepted my request. I had to present a project that I worked on for about 30 minutes while eating lunch. It was attended by a Sr Manager, Sr Test Engineer, and couple managers. After that I had 4-5 one on one interviews with each of these folks. Towards the end, I was interview by the Sr Manager who inquired about salary expectations and such. Throughout the process, the NI work culture was promoted. Around 5 PM in the evening, I was walked out the campus by the Sr Manager. I understood that I was interviewed for couple positions, and I also got the option to pick which product line to work on.

2 days later, I got a phone call from one of the managers that interviewed me with an offer.

Interview Question – Since I was also interviewed for a Sr RF Test Engineer position, there were some questions on RF that I found difficult. There were some basic questions on EE, and measurement principles.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – NI is known for "negligible income". Negotiation is almost impossible. I negotiated a good relocation package. I couldn't do much with compensation and NI is very rigid in this issue. If you get to this point, stand your ground and NI will come around !

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at National Instruments in October 2013.

Interview Details – The campus interviewer had a hardware background and he hammered me with hardware questions which were difficult for a computer science student. When I muddled through them, the interviewer mentioned that he was impressed I was able to handle new subject material. My point in mentioning that is just that the campus interviews are limited by the people they have on hand, and were more difficult than they needed to be.

When I got to the on site interviews, my interviewers were all software engineers. Their questions tended to be reminiscent of what I've experienced at other companies.

Interview Question – Given a binary tree with colored nodes, write an algorithm which will count how many contiguous chunks of color are in the tree.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I actually haven't accepted yet, but I'm considering the offer. There was no negotiation phase, they just assigned me a salary based on my experience and education.

Interviews for Top Jobs at National Instruments

Worked for National Instruments? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at National Instruments interview questions and advice in Austin, TX. All 120 interview reviews posted anonymously by National Instruments employees and interview candidates.