National Instruments

Updated Oct 21, 2014

3.1

10 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Digital Hardware Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at National Instruments.

Single on campus interview.
Talked about school project majority of the time (approximately 30 minutes).
My project was a measurement system, which is related to NI.
Asked 3 HR questions.
1 technical design question.
Overall, basic interview to assess technical level and knowledge of previous projects.

Interview Questions
  • Black Box 1 clock 1 input, 3 outputs RGB
    design circuit inside

Answer Question
No negotiation, internship

Other Interview Reviews for National Instruments

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at National Instruments in September 2014.

I was provided the interview during the career fair in the university. The interview is held on the other day after I submitted my resume. I was asked FSM problems based on my resume.

Digital Hardware Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at National Instruments.

Design a FSM with two similar state.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university – interviewed at National Instruments in October 2013.

The hiring managers were very nice. The first couple of question were regarding my work experience listed in my resume. Next, they asked several question about my social skills like working in team, decision making, and problem solving skills. Last, I had technical question about light traffic. They wanted to see flowchart of the light traffic, and its possible design in hardware.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were decent. They tried to make you relax   View Answer

Digital Hardware Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at National Instruments in March 2013.

Through campus career fair

Interview Questions
    • Technical questions based on different delays and finite state machines.   Answer Question

Digital Hardware Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at National Instruments in September 2012.

Applied through career fair. They got back after a month and set up an interview first. Had 3 rounds of interview.

Interview Questions
    • I had applied for Digital Hardware Engineer,but they were actually looking for some one with a software engineer with a digital background. They wanted people who were good at C# and asked me a few questions in that area, though I told them I was not at all adept in it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at National Instruments in October 2011.

It was a part of career fair at my university. I submitted my resume and next day I got a call for interview. The next day I had one interview in campus and it went well.
    He asked about basic FSM design and questions about digital hardware.
    After 2 weeks I got an email for on site interview. It was scheduled on Friday. There were 25-30 student on the same day. My day was as follows:
    Introduction, small presentation, breakfast, 1st technical interview, lunch, 2nd technical interview, small break, 3rd technical interview, a small presentation by company, and finally HR wrap up.

Interview Questions
    • Design an FSM to generate a sequence. or to detect a sequence.   View Answer
    • Timing characteristics of sequential circuit, max frequency , memory controller design, knowledge about pcb designing.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at National Instruments in October 2011.

It was a on-campus interview, i got the interview on the university career fair. It lasted about 45 mins. The recruiter first asked one of my school project. He seemed to be very interested that and asked a lot of questions. Then followed by one technical question. It was a pattern detection question using finite state machine. If you have a course in digital logic design, this should not be a problem. Then came with one behavior question: what was the biggest problem or bug or difficulty that you once came to? I heard about this question so I prepared for it. Overall I think I did pretty well on the interview, but I didn't make it to the on-site interview. I guess they want to hire more analog guys. There are not actually many digital positions opening--that's what I heard from my friend working there.

Interview Questions
    • What was the biggest problem you have encountered in your school work or experience?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Rosa, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Rosa, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at National Instruments in March 2011.

The interview was very involved and structured. The interview process required creating a presentation, which covered a previous design or significant body of work. The interview day began with the 45 minute presentation, followed by 15 minutes of questions and answers. There were three technical interviews before lunch, and then an HR interview, behavioral interview and an interview with the hiring manager. The hiring manager did a good job preparing me for the interview, which included meeting with me several times before the interview day and reviewing my presentation slides. After the interview concluded, I did not hear anything from the hiring manager for 3 weeks. Upon contacting them we met for a final meeting to negotiate the terms of employment. Being persistent seemed to help after the interview. NI seems to be the kind of company that is very careful with who they extend an offer to, and weren't ready to extend an official offer without negotiating all aspects of the job and compensation.

Interview Questions
    • How do you choose a window for a Fast Fourier Transform, and why would you choose one window over another?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at National Instruments in October 2010.

There was a day long event with a number of people all interviewing for the same jobs rotating around between interviewers. There were 3 interviews in total along with breakfast, lunch, and a cool presentation about NI / Lego robots as a wrap-up relaxing presentation.

Interview Questions
    • Design a digital logic system (FPGA and other logic) for a DRAM controller with some given timing parameters.   Answer Question