National Instruments ELP Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 23, 2014

3.2

22 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at National Instruments in March 2013.

I was initially pulled into National Instruments by an on campus recruiting event. We had scheduled to interview on campus, which would later turn into a follow-up interview on site.

Their interview process, was rather fatiguing, extending from early morning up to the evening with back-to-back interviews and few breaks.

Interview Questions
  • Questions for this position were related to digital and analog circuit design. They were easy questions and do not require any specific studying beforehand.

Most of their questions would rather broad, so the questions are only as difficult as you make them out to be. It seems they care more about your personality rather than your technical capability to perform a job.
      Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for National Instruments

ELP Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at National Instruments.

The process was extremely expedited initially. The recruiters came to campus and scheduled an on-campus interview for select candidates the following day. The interview lasted approximately 1 hour and was composed of two parts, technical and behavioral. The interviewer took the time to explain that there were going to be two parts and the purpose behind the technical and behavioral questions. I would say that the interview was fairly standard as far as behavioral questions go: what is your biggest weakness, etc. The technical questions were also fairly easy and really wanted to get insight into the way you processed and thought about information, including your ability to program and construct simple engineering designs. NI notified the interviewee that they would hear back from them regarding the position shortly. A second, phone interview followed the initial screening interview about 2-4 weeks later. The NI representative wanted you to discuss your interest in the company, why you wanted to work there, and a few other casual simple questions. He then explained that I would hear back whether or not I would get an offer in 4-6 weeks. Nearly 3 1/2 months later, I have yet to hear back from the company who continues to site budget uncertainty for the delay.

Interview Questions
    • There was no truly difficult question in this interview if you are to come fully prepared. Make sure to understand and have working knowledge of the company. The technical questions were probably the most difficult, however. The interviewer asked to describe the process by which you would go about setting up a system in order to conduct data acquisition and the importance of the different components in the system (i.e. control feedback loop, etc).   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at National Instruments in January 2013.

Dropped off my resume at a University recruiting event. Received an email a few days later to set up a phone interview.

The interview had a behavioral and technical section. Behavioral part consisted of questions such as "Have you been in a situation where you didn't agree with someone you were working with? How did you handle it?". Technical part had a programming and hardware question. "Given an array of 100 numbers and 1 was missing write an algorithm to find the missing number". "How would you turn an analog voice signal into a digital signal."

Interview Questions
    • Come up with two ways to find the missing number from the array of 100.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days - interviewed at National Instruments.

Met with a recruiter at a campus job fair which led to an on campus interview. On campus interview was a mix of technical and behavioral questions. Behavioral were your typical "tell me about a time when you...". Technical questions consisted of one hardware and one software. Hardware was about a voice signal being input to a computer and the software was about finding a missing number in a set. These questions seem to be repeated as I had friends that had the same question asked to them.

Was invited onsite to Austin. 5-6 interviews throughout the day, mostly behavioral with a technical interview and a technical presentation. Great people and great atmosphere, everyone was very welcoming. The CEO spoke to us first thing at the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Hardware question in on campus interview asks you to describe a system that could convert a voice signal to a digital computer signal.   View Answer

NI's compensation is significantly lower than their competitors. Its a great place to be, especially in Austin, but its hard to leave that much money on the table if you get better offers. You would probably be happy working there, but you would have to live with the knowledge that you could be making more almost anywhere else.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at National Instruments in November 2012.

Very friendly company. Relaxed environment. The interview was very relaxed. It was a full day interview divided in 5 sections with a technical presentation of 10 min.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at National Instruments in May 2012.

Applied online, received email a month later for a phone interview. The phone interview went over basic questions such as why did you want to work here and some more technical questions such as sorting algorithms. About a week later I was asked to go to their headquarters in Austin for an in-person interview. Interviewed with 5 different representatives, going over technical questions, historical (basic HR questions), behavioral, etc. Had to do a presentation at the end of the day to wrap it all up.

Interview Questions
    • Encoders/Decoders showed up on the technical question, it wasn't too difficult but one should brush up on this before going into the interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at National Instruments in December 2011.

After getting selected for an interview on campus, I interviewed with a current ELP Engineer. The interview consisted of your standard behavioral and historical questions as well as some technical questions. The interviewer was very professional and friendly. It was a very pleasant interview.

A couple of weeks later, I got an email saying that I was selected for a headquarter visit and a final round interview. This was located in Austin, TX. The actual interview was on a Friday, but they paid for a hotel up until Sunday morning so that the candidates can get a feel for Austin. They also took us out that Friday night and Saturday night to a dinner and then some bars.

On the day of the interview, all of the candidates got there early in the morning and had breakfast with our hosts while we listened to a presentation about the company. Then the interviews began.

There were 5 interviews, each with someone else, as well as a technical presentation. There was a historical, behavioral, technical, and 2 others based on the departments you were interested in. There was also a 10 minute technical presentation.

The behavioral interview was the standard "tell me about a time you..." interview questions. The historical interview was mostly about what my expectations were and what I was looking for in a job offer (salary, benefits, growth, culture, etc.). The technical interview was not as hard as I was expecting, and was about automation. The technical presentation is just about how you can communicate to an audience a technical subject. They don't really care what the subject is, as long as it is technical.

The company culture was great. It was very laid back and casual, and you would be working on very interesting problems.

Interview Questions
    • Given 100 random numbers out of a string of 101, how would you find the missing number?   View Answer
    • There were also some ADC questions.   Answer Question

The start date would have been over 6 months after I graduated, and there was no way it would move up by much. Since I had an offer from another company (although, it was in a completely different industry) with a start date that would work for me, I chose to accept that.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at National Instruments in November 2011.

After attending a presentation by NI on campus, I applied online and was called to setup an interview the following week on campus. This initial interview was pretty basic involving both technical and behavioral questions and given by one NI manager and a shadower. I was then flown to Austin, TX for two days to continue the interview process. The first day was very organized consisting of five interviews in total: 1. A generic behavioral interview 2. technical interview which was more concerned with your thought process than prior technical knowledge 3. historical interview asking about salary and location preferences, along with two special interview picked by the candidate in Marketing, Sales, R&D, or System Support. The second day involved meeting other candidates and seeing the area. I really enjoyed meeting the NI team and the entire process was very well organized and moved smoothly.

Interview Questions
    • How would you connect a microphone to a computer?   View Answer
    • Given an unsorted array of numbers 1-99 but with one number absent, how would you determine which number was missing?   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at National Instruments in October 2011.

On campus interview which I got through the university job fair. It was broken into two parts. First part was filled with typical behavioral interview questions and lasted approximately 20 minutes. Second part was a "technical section" which had two questions. You were not asked to solve a differential equation or anything like that, but it did require some basic computer knowledge as well as knowledge of your discipline (Mechanical Engineering for my interview). Advice I would offer is to just be yourself and answer truthfully and there really is no way to "study" for the technical section.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you were working in a team and there were two separate conflicting ideas. Describe how the situation was resolved.   Answer Question
    • Given a large array of random numbers (some positive some negative) how would you organize those numbers more efficiently? *hint: using computer programming   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at National Instruments in October 2011.

Went to my schools engineering career fair and talked to the recruiter about possibilities for a full time engineering position. I was called later that evening informing me of my next day campus interview. The first interview, 2nd interview is at the HQ in Austin TX, was pretty straight forward. Behavioral based questions, leadership questions, and a technical question. The technical question was a coding question, being an electrical engineer I was familiar with what they were looking for. The interview itself is very relaxed, the recruiters do a great job of making sure you clearly understand the question.

About 3 weeks later I was contacted that I would be flown to Austin for the 2nd round (final) interviews. NI takes care of all travel, meals, and hotel room costs. NI even gives you a pier diem. The 2nd interview is an all day event, very tiring, there were 5 interviews and you are asked to give a technical presentation based off of previous engineering work. You interview with the 3 groups you are most interested in, a general interview (behavioral), and a technical interview. The most difficult part about the day is the technical interview, it is timed as all the interviews are, the questions build in difficulty. However the engineer leading the technical interview helps you out a bit.

After the interview you are given a pier diem and taken out for a night on 6th street. NI definitely sells you on the "cool" factor and they do a really good job at it. NI is a cool place that does a lot of interesting and innovative things. The workplace is really laid back, there is no dress code, and they are all about college pride.

2 weeks later I got a call that I had been selected for an ELP position and the official offer came in the mail that week. They don't negotiate the offer, but are willing to give you a time extension to think it over.

Interview Questions
    • Technical first round question had to do with finding the missing number in an array from 0 to 100.   View Answer

Greater benefits/pay from my other offers.

Worked for National Instruments? Contribute to the Community!