National Instruments ELP Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 18, 2015

3.3

Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at National Instruments (Tempe, AZ) in February 2015.

Interview

After talking to recruiter at a job fair, they contacted me that night to set up an interview on campus the next day. Interview questions were standard and asked one technical question about monitoring temperature in a vat of chocolate. They asked me what times I can come the next day if I made it to the next rounds of interview. Got a call that night saying I made it through. Second interview was similar to the first but with two interviewers instead of one. They asked similar behavioral and technical questions. This one asked two ways to find a missing number in an array between 1-100. Once the interview was finished I was told I'd get an email the next few weeks on whether I made it or not. 2 weeks later I got the final onsite interview and in the process of flying out to Austin.

Interview Questions

• One technical question about monitoring temperature in a vat of chocolate another was two ways to find a missing number in an array between 1-100.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for National Instruments

ELP Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at National Instruments.

Interview

Met at the career fair and honestly didn't expect a response. Ended up getting a response that night about interviewing the next week, half technical, half personal. A second interview three weeks later over the phone completely character responses. The offer came through a few weeks after that, then another two comparing options. Both times very prompt about the next stage and times to be available, never had to shift time slots. Once offered, constantly in contact from multiple employees giving support for any questions. Great HR department, very personal experience.

Interview Questions

• Probably more difficult for myself to answer since my background is not coding, but "how do you find the missing number in an array of 1 to 100?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

competitive offer off the bat, no negotiations necessary. Came within $200 (including all packages and relocation funds) of another similar internship.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX) in March 2013.

Interview

I was initially pulled into National Instruments by an on campus recruiting event. We had scheduled to interview on campus, which would later turn into a follow-up interview on site. Their interview process, was rather fatiguing, extending from early morning up to the evening with back-to-back interviews and few breaks.

Interview Questions

• Questions for this position were related to digital and analog circuit design. They were easy questions and do not require any specific studying beforehand. Most of their questions would rather broad, so the questions are only as difficult as you make them out to be. It seems they care more about your personality rather than your technical capability to perform a job.   Answer Question

ELP Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at National Instruments.

Interview

The process was extremely expedited initially. The recruiters came to campus and scheduled an on-campus interview for select candidates the following day. The interview lasted approximately 1 hour and was composed of two parts, technical and behavioral. The interviewer took the time to explain that there were going to be two parts and the purpose behind the technical and behavioral questions. I would say that the interview was fairly standard as far as behavioral questions go: what is your biggest weakness, etc. The technical questions were also fairly easy and really wanted to get insight into the way you processed and thought about information, including your ability to program and construct simple engineering designs. NI notified the interviewee that they would hear back from them regarding the position shortly. A second, phone interview followed the initial screening interview about 2-4 weeks later. The NI representative wanted you to discuss your interest in the company, why you wanted to work there, and a few other casual simple questions. He then explained that I would hear back whether or not I would get an offer in 4-6 weeks. Nearly 3 1/2 months later, I have yet to hear back from the company who continues to site budget uncertainty for the delay.

Interview Questions

• There was no truly difficult question in this interview if you are to come fully prepared. Make sure to understand and have working knowledge of the company. The technical questions were probably the most difficult, however. The interviewer asked to describe the process by which you would go about setting up a system in order to conduct data acquisition and the importance of the different components in the system (i.e. control feedback loop, etc).   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX) in January 2013.

Interview

Dropped off my resume at a University recruiting event. Received an email a few days later to set up a phone interview. The interview had a behavioral and technical section. Behavioral part consisted of questions such as "Have you been in a situation where you didn't agree with someone you were working with? How did you handle it?". Technical part had a programming and hardware question. "Given an array of 100 numbers and 1 was missing write an algorithm to find the missing number". "How would you turn an analog voice signal into a digital signal."

Interview Questions

• Come up with two ways to find the missing number from the array of 100.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX).

Interview

Met with a recruiter at a campus job fair which led to an on campus interview. On campus interview was a mix of technical and behavioral questions. Behavioral were your typical "tell me about a time when you...". Technical questions consisted of one hardware and one software. Hardware was about a voice signal being input to a computer and the software was about finding a missing number in a set. These questions seem to be repeated as I had friends that had the same question asked to them. Was invited onsite to Austin. 5-6 interviews throughout the day, mostly behavioral with a technical interview and a technical presentation. Great people and great atmosphere, everyone was very welcoming. The CEO spoke to us first thing at the interview.

Interview Questions

• Hardware question in on campus interview asks you to describe a system that could convert a voice signal to a digital computer signal.   1 Answer

NI's compensation is significantly lower than their competitors. Its a great place to be, especially in Austin, but its hard to leave that much money on the table if you get better offers. You would probably be happy working there, but you would have to live with the knowledge that you could be making more almost anywhere else.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX) in November 2012.

Interview

Very friendly company. Relaxed environment. The interview was very relaxed. It was a full day interview divided in 5 sections with a technical presentation of 10 min.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX) in May 2012.

Interview

Applied online, received email a month later for a phone interview. The phone interview went over basic questions such as why did you want to work here and some more technical questions such as sorting algorithms. About a week later I was asked to go to their headquarters in Austin for an in-person interview. Interviewed with 5 different representatives, going over technical questions, historical (basic HR questions), behavioral, etc. Had to do a presentation at the end of the day to wrap it all up.

Interview Questions

• Encoders/Decoders showed up on the technical question, it wasn't too difficult but one should brush up on this before going into the interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX) in December 2011.

Interview

After getting selected for an interview on campus, I interviewed with a current ELP Engineer. The interview consisted of your standard behavioral and historical questions as well as some technical questions. The interviewer was very professional and friendly. It was a very pleasant interview. A couple of weeks later, I got an email saying that I was selected for a headquarter visit and a final round interview. This was located in Austin, TX. The actual interview was on a Friday, but they paid for a hotel up until Sunday morning so that the candidates can get a feel for Austin. They also took us out that Friday night and Saturday night to a dinner and then some bars. On the day of the interview, all of the candidates got there early in the morning and had breakfast with our hosts while we listened to a presentation about the company. Then the interviews began. There were 5 interviews, each with someone else, as well as a technical presentation. There was a historical, behavioral, technical, and 2 others based on the departments you were interested in. There was also a 10 minute technical presentation. The behavioral interview was the standard "tell me about a time you..." interview questions. The historical interview was mostly about what my expectations were and what I was looking for in a job offer (salary, benefits, growth, culture, etc.). The technical interview was not as hard as I was expecting, and was about automation. The technical presentation is just about how you can communicate to an audience a technical subject. They don't really care what the subject is, as long as it is technical. The company culture was great. It was very laid back and casual, and you would be working on very interesting problems.

Interview Questions

• Given 100 random numbers out of a string of 101, how would you find the missing number?   1 Answer
    • There were also some ADC questions.   Answer Question

The start date would have been over 6 months after I graduated, and there was no way it would move up by much. Since I had an offer from another company (although, it was in a completely different industry) with a start date that would work for me, I chose to accept that.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX) in November 2011.

Interview

After attending a presentation by NI on campus, I applied online and was called to setup an interview the following week on campus. This initial interview was pretty basic involving both technical and behavioral questions and given by one NI manager and a shadower. I was then flown to Austin, TX for two days to continue the interview process. The first day was very organized consisting of five interviews in total: 1. A generic behavioral interview 2. technical interview which was more concerned with your thought process than prior technical knowledge 3. historical interview asking about salary and location preferences, along with two special interview picked by the candidate in Marketing, Sales, R&D, or System Support. The second day involved meeting other candidates and seeing the area. I really enjoyed meeting the NI team and the entire process was very well organized and moved smoothly.

Interview Questions

• How would you connect a microphone to a computer?   1 Answer
    • Given an unsorted array of numbers 1-99 but with one number absent, how would you determine which number was missing?   2 Answers