National Instruments

Updated Feb 17, 2015
Updated Feb 17, 2015

3.3

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at National Instruments in October 2011.

Went to my schools engineering career fair and talked to the recruiter about possibilities for a full time engineering position. I was called later that evening informing me of my next day campus interview. The first interview, 2nd interview is at the HQ in Austin TX, was pretty straight forward. Behavioral based questions, leadership questions, and a technical question. The technical question was a coding question, being an electrical engineer I was familiar with what they were looking for. The interview itself is very relaxed, the recruiters do a great job of making sure you clearly understand the question.

About 3 weeks later I was contacted that I would be flown to Austin for the 2nd round (final) interviews. NI takes care of all travel, meals, and hotel room costs. NI even gives you a pier diem. The 2nd interview is an all day event, very tiring, there were 5 interviews and you are asked to give a technical presentation based off of previous engineering work. You interview with the 3 groups you are most interested in, a general interview (behavioral), and a technical interview. The most difficult part about the day is the technical interview, it is timed as all the interviews are, the questions build in difficulty. However the engineer leading the technical interview helps you out a bit.

After the interview you are given a pier diem and taken out for a night on 6th street. NI definitely sells you on the "cool" factor and they do a really good job at it. NI is a cool place that does a lot of interesting and innovative things. The workplace is really laid back, there is no dress code, and they are all about college pride.

2 weeks later I got a call that I had been selected for an ELP position and the official offer came in the mail that week. They don't negotiate the offer, but are willing to give you a time extension to think it over.

Interview Questions
  • Technical first round question had to do with finding the missing number in an array from 0 to 100.   View Answer

Greater benefits/pay from my other offers.

Other Interview Reviews for National Instruments

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at National Instruments in September 2011.

Met the recruiters at a career fair. Was called the next day about an on campus interview. The interview was more relaxed than some and was very technical.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how you would find a specific number in a string of numbers.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at National Instruments in March 2011.

I applied online through my university career assistance center. The interview had to be rescheduled on the phone, but this was not a problem; they made it very simple and worked well with my schedule. This was only the first interview in the process (there is one on my school's campus, then the next is on the NI campus). The interviewer was really nice and calm. I would advise all interviewees to be nice and calm, too!

Interview Questions
    • Technical - hardware: Question about ADC, amplification   Answer Question
    • Technical - software: Question about arrays in C   Answer Question
    • Behavioral: Talk about a time you did something from start to finish   Answer Question
    • Behavioral: Talk about a time you went out of your way to help someone   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at National Instruments in December 2010.

I met NI at the career fair, but was out of town for their on campus interviews. So, I started with a phone interview that lasted a little over 1/2 an hour and used an interactive internet site so the interviewer could see what I was drawing/typing. That interview was half behavioral and half technical, but nothing was too hard it was more about my thought process.

About two weeks later, I heard back and had been accepted for an on site interview. They had several dates to choose from, but because of my schedule I had to wait about 2 months. Once on site, NI did a fantastic job of showcasing Austin. The hotel was nice, and there were plenty of fun activities planned for the whole weekend. For the actual interview day, it was a full day on site. There was a behavioral, technical, historian (like the typical HR interview only more involved), and two interviews based on the departments you chose, and finally a 10 minute technical presentation. Though the process was long, it was worth it and they interview a lot of great candidates. I heard back within the promised 2-4 weeks with an offer, and I know people that got declined also heard back.

All in all, the interview process is a really great framework to understand what you will be doing, and I don't feel that there will be any surprises when I start.

Interview Questions
    • We all drop the ball sometimes, name a time when you were overwhelmed and let something slip through the cracks and it impacted your project. How did you handle that?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at National Instruments in October 2010.

Good interview, both technical and behavioral questions. Interviewed originally on campus than later onsite in Austin, TX. There were multiple on-site interviews with various groups at NI. Overall, it was a good experience.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

The process took a dayinterviewed at National Instruments in September 2010.

I got the interview by attending a career fair and giving the representative my resume. The interview was one on one and lasted for about an hour. The questions were broken up into four behavioral questions and then two technical questions. The behavioral questions were standard “How did you handle this situation?” questions. The technical questions were geared more to see how you think more than what you know.

Interview Questions
    • If there is a dumb (on/off) air conditioner in a room along with a computer that has all the needed software, how can you tell the air conditioner to turn on and off to keep the room at a set temperature?   View Answer
    • There is an array with 100 slots (0-99) and you have an unordered list of 100 numbers, how can you output the number not included in the array?   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

The process took a dayinterviewed at National Instruments in September 2010.

I got the interview opportunity during career fair for the ELP program. The first round interview was hold the next day for 15 minutes. Only two questions were asked. One technical question regarding ADC and one behavioral question. The interviewers were really friendly and tried to lead me to the answers.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at National Instruments in February 2010.

It was a one on one interview and consisted of two parts. There was a behavioral section as well as a technical section. The behavioral consisted of questions such as tell me about a time when... The technical section was more difficult and consisted of a programming question as well as a hardware question.

ELP Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at National Instruments in February 2015.

I applied online through GradCracker, uploaded my C.V and Cover letter. Application was very easy, before you apply make sure you read the requirements and if you actually qualify to enroll.
    After Application, i was sent a confirmation and was letter invited for a telephone interview.

Interview Questions
    • just be yourself. Questions were based on my C.V, The name of my Uni, My favourite Module and why i Choose the module.
      Was also asked what do i know about the company and its products.

Answer Question

ELP Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Engineering Campus (Nepal)
    Anonymous Employee in Engineering Campus (Nepal)

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at National Instruments in September 2014.

The interview lasted around a hour. The guys conducting the interview were young about mid-twenties. They asked basic behavioral questions for the first part and then a few technical questions. One about a basic electronics and signal processing then one about logic and programming. It overall didn't go that well, if I was doing it again I would have made sure to have been more alert and relaxed. Go in to joke and ask questions with the interviewers. Make sure you can talk them up and logic through algorithmic questions and know you electronic signal processing.

Interview Questions
    • The technical questions at the first interview was a bit odd. Other companies I've had interviews with waited until the second interview to get to those problems.   Answer Question