National Instruments

National Instruments Engineering Leadership Program Interview Questions

Updated Feb 22, 2015
Updated Feb 22, 2015

Engineering Leadership Program Interview

Interviewed on campus with an NI recruiter, then was called for an on-site interview at Austin 2 weeks later. The interview process was very well coordinated. At each step of the process, the NI employee made sure that you thoroughly understand what the position is about and whether or not you would like working there. The travel process was very well arranged and the NI hosts make sure you enjoy your stay at Austin. The interview was an all-day interview, but 90% behavioral. I enjoyed my visit to the NI campus and loved the environment there; everyone is basically straight out of school so you have a lot of people your age. However I thought the work would not be fulfilling as I got the impression that it's basically glorified tech support.

Interview Questions
  • For my on-campus interview:
    1) Describe a system that could convert a voice signal to a digital computer signal
    2) Other than that basically going over resume

For on-site interview:
    1) There were 5 interviews, each with someone else, as well as a technical presentation. There was a historical, behavioral, technical, and 2 others based on the departments you were interested in.
    2) Most questions were typical behavioral questions ("If you were in X situation, what would you do?" or "What interests you about X?").
    3) The technical interview was more of a puzzle than a legit engineering question. One of them had to do with clock timing signals and the other was about image processing.

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for National Instruments

Engineer Leadership Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at National Instruments in February 2015.

Interviewed after meeting the recruiter at a university career fair. The interview took about 30 minutes and wasn't structured very well. The questions were "interactive" and not phrased well.

Also, they did not make it clear that the position was for technical sales and marketing.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to help a customer?
      What brand of thermometer would you use for this application? (really meant what type)
      What measurements can you take given this information? (really meant what is the smallest measurement that can be estimated given the number of bits in the signal)

Answer Question

Engineering Leadership Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at National Instruments in October 2014.

I interviewed with NI while they were visiting my university during a career fair. After a pre-screening during the career show, I was invited for a 1 on 1 interview with a current ELP engineer the next day. The interviewer was courteous, friendly, and helped you along if there were any hangups during the technical section. The behavioral interview questions really vary quite a bit from time to time (I've heard), but have some stories prepared and well-practiced and you should be fine.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university – interviewed at National Instruments in September 2014.

After a career fair, I received an email asking if I would like to have an on campus interview about 2 weeks later. The interviewer was a young, applications engineer. We discussed how the company works and what an entry level engineer (new grad) would go through. After the details of the company and me asking a couple of questions the interview got technical. They asked 2 questions related to the work they do:coding and hardware. I was rusty and probably didn't answer the questions very well. If you're going to interview with them make sure you have a good coding background and understand some Mechatronics and how hardware components work. The interview lasted about 40 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • Basically, how does a microphone connected to a computer work and where would you place an amplifier on the system to avoid problems.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at National Instruments in January 2014.

Started with a brief interview at a local university's career fair then afterwards an offer for an onsite interview in Austin was extended. Travel was arranged and paid for by NI and was very nice. The interview itself was somewhat chaotic, about 6 actual interviews with people from many different parts of the ELP program and beyond. First session of the day was actually a short talk by Dr T, the founder himself. Through the whole day I heard more than I ever cared to hear about the culture of NI and that its so cool to work there but I heard very little about what kind of work actually goes on outside of working phone and email support. Interview questions were the standard behavioral questions and the one technical interview was about some very simple digital circuits and some basic programming organization.

Interview Questions
    • Do you know binary? Whats a linear encoder? Do you know what a matrix is?   Answer Question

Engineering Leadership Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at National Instruments in October 2013.

Interviewed on campus. Typical behavioral questions and technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • Given an array of 1-100 with one number missing, how do you find the missing number?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at National Instruments in September 2013.

Spoke with company at a job fair for my University. Got a interview based on my GPA. The actually interview was a few basic behavioral questions. An algorithms question asking "If you have a 100 numbers, all different, from 1 to 199, whats an efficient way to find a missing number?"

Interview Questions
    • Hardware Question - Given a A/C unit thats really hot or cold how do you attach it to a computer and control the temperature?   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at National Instruments in July 2013.

I interned at National Instruments, and at the end of the summer I applied internally for an interview in the Engineering Leadership Program. I think the interview was open to any current interns at the time (no need to submit a resume or have an initial pre-interview). The interview was all day, and consisted of breakfast, the three 30 minute interviews, then lunch, then a 30 and a 45 minute interview, and ended with a 10 minute technical presentation. I felt pretty good throughout the day, but at the end of the process I was drained.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about a time where you had to say no to someone and it had a positive outcome.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at National Instruments in October 2011.

Flew me out to Austin, put me up in a nice hotel with everything paid for. Had to show up bright and early on Friday. I was in an interview group of about 15 people. Day consisted of a couple presentations about NI, benefits, etc, then had to give a 10 minute technical presentation, go through about 3 1:1 interviews and a technical interview. After that they took us to dinner and downtown Austin for the night.

The technical interview was the most nerve racking but they don't look for you to have all the answers just be able to remain easy going and explore all the options in a logical and orderly manner. It's ok to say I don't know what to do next.

The 1:1 interviews sometimes overlap questions but the interviewers actually care about what you are saying and ask you questions about your answers instead of just nodding and writing down whatever you say and moving on.

Overall pretty straightforward onsite interview!

Interview Questions

I loved NI, everything about their corporate culture really meshed with my personality but it came down to not being what I really wanted to do.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

The process took a dayinterviewed at National Instruments in September 2011.

I met with some of the company's employees who had been through a similar program at my school's career fair. I wasn't even planning on applying to this position, but I received multiple phone calls from the employee's I had met first asking me to apply and then asking me to interview. I figured what the hell, might as well get some practice in. The interview was split up into two parts. The first part was a behavioral interview with the typical questions. The second part was a technical interview that consisted of two questions. The first was about coding and the second about designing a temperature feedback system for an air conditioning unit.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time when you had to convince a large group of people of your beliefs.   Answer Question