National Instruments Engineering Leadership Program Interview Questions

3.1

10 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Engineering Leadership Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at National Instruments in October 2013.

Interviewed on campus. Typical behavioral questions and technical questions.

Interview Questions
  • Given an array of 1-100 with one number missing, how do you find the missing number?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for National Instruments

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at National Instruments in September 2013.

Spoke with company at a job fair for my University. Got a interview based on my GPA. The actually interview was a few basic behavioral questions. An algorithms question asking "If you have a 100 numbers, all different, from 1 to 199, whats an efficient way to find a missing number?"

Interview Questions
    • Hardware Question - Given a A/C unit thats really hot or cold how do you attach it to a computer and control the temperature?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at National Instruments in July 2013.

I interned at National Instruments, and at the end of the summer I applied internally for an interview in the Engineering Leadership Program. I think the interview was open to any current interns at the time (no need to submit a resume or have an initial pre-interview). The interview was all day, and consisted of breakfast, the three 30 minute interviews, then lunch, then a 30 and a 45 minute interview, and ended with a 10 minute technical presentation. I felt pretty good throughout the day, but at the end of the process I was drained.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about a time where you had to say no to someone and it had a positive outcome.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at National Instruments in October 2011.

Flew me out to Austin, put me up in a nice hotel with everything paid for. Had to show up bright and early on Friday. I was in an interview group of about 15 people. Day consisted of a couple presentations about NI, benefits, etc, then had to give a 10 minute technical presentation, go through about 3 1:1 interviews and a technical interview. After that they took us to dinner and downtown Austin for the night.

The technical interview was the most nerve racking but they don't look for you to have all the answers just be able to remain easy going and explore all the options in a logical and orderly manner. It's ok to say I don't know what to do next.

The 1:1 interviews sometimes overlap questions but the interviewers actually care about what you are saying and ask you questions about your answers instead of just nodding and writing down whatever you say and moving on.

Overall pretty straightforward onsite interview!

Interview Questions

I loved NI, everything about their corporate culture really meshed with my personality but it came down to not being what I really wanted to do.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

The process took a dayinterviewed at National Instruments in September 2011.

I met with some of the company's employees who had been through a similar program at my school's career fair. I wasn't even planning on applying to this position, but I received multiple phone calls from the employee's I had met first asking me to apply and then asking me to interview. I figured what the hell, might as well get some practice in. The interview was split up into two parts. The first part was a behavioral interview with the typical questions. The second part was a technical interview that consisted of two questions. The first was about coding and the second about designing a temperature feedback system for an air conditioning unit.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time when you had to convince a large group of people of your beliefs.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at National Instruments in March 2010.

Phone interview consisted of some behavioral questions as well as some technical questions that were performed via online whiteboard. The technical questions were very generic - if you have a general knowledge of Computer Science/Engineering it should not be too tough. One was about binary ADC and one was a software question to write some pseudocode to describe how to perform a search algorithm. The personal interviews consisted of 5 - behavioral + some general questions about background + a technical interview. There was also a technical presentation, 10 minutes, which was also pretty simple, to judge more on how well you present.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you had to comprimise your integrity to do what was right.   Answer Question

Engineering Leadership Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at National Instruments.

Initially I found NI at my university's engineering career fair. They held an info-session later that night explaining what the company does, a little about Austin, TX, and what positions they were hiring for. They collected resumes and would reply back for an interview the next day on campus if they liked the resume. The next day I got the email and went for a 30 min behavioural interview. They contacted me again for an interview the following day - 30 min technical interview, mainly about signal processing. In two weeks they contacted me for a on-site interview in Austin,TX.

Interview Questions
    • The thing I least expected was during the sales interview to do a role-playing scenario. The interviewer asked what technologies I liked or had experience with and then followed the question up with a role-play of me trying to sell the product/technology to him.   Answer Question

Engineering Leadership Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at National Instruments in October 2012.

This company was exposing at a career fair at my uni. I gave my CV and talked a bit with one of the reps; he invited me to an information session later that night, where I learned a lot more about the company, life in Austen, etc. I was sent an email about the first round of interviews for the next day.
    First round was behavioural and the examiners were really enthusiast and it did not feel like they wanted me to screw up in any way.
    Second round was technical (the next day) and again, the feeling I got coming out was that they were not there to enjoy seeing me screw up but rather to help me.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you went out of your way to help someone.
      Tell me about a time when you carried a project from scratch to completion.
      How would you go ahead and measure the temperature in a room and display the result on a computer far away?
        Answer Question

Engineering Leadership Program Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at National Instruments in October 2011.

I met with representatives at an on-campus engineering career fair, and I was contacted to set up an interview. The interview was 1:1 and took place on campus.

Engineering Leadership Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at National Instruments in February 2011.

A 1 on 1 interview with an NI engineer lasting approx. 45 min. The interviewer was outgoing. The first part of the interview consisted of normal behavioral questions "Tell me about a time when..." very easy no right or wrong answer. However, they did ask a lot of follow up questions on your answers. Second part of the interview was technical. They made it clear that they are not looking for the exact answer but more you train of thought.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to convince a group to adopt your idea.   Answer Question