National Instruments Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2015

3.1

Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX).

Interview

Phone screen first which is at similar difficult level as to what they will ask for on-site interview .
    The hard part for on-site interview is preparing a 45 minutes technical presentations to a group of audience.
    One on one interviews are followed, and they usually have similar questions.

Interview Questions

• decibel calculations, measurement techniques and interpretations, low pass filter, zener diode, selecting resistors   Answer Question

Engineering Leadership Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

Pretty long interview process, initial behavioural interview followed by a technical interview. Flown out to NI headquarters and did a full day of interviews, both technical and behavioural. As a mechanical engineer, the technical interview was the most difficult, both hardware and software questions asked.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had to convince a group of people of your idea   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you went out of your way to help someone   Answer Question
    • How would you measure the temperature in a room and display the result on a computer far away   Answer Question
    • Given an array of 1-100 with one number missing, how do you find the missing number   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at National Instruments.

Interview

I applied through university recruiting website. The entire process took a little over two weeks. The interviewer asked about my resume and most proud of project. Also asked me about the worst bug I've had to track down. Overall it was a great experience, the interviewer was friendly.

Interview Questions

• Keep a list of integers sorted while new inputs are being entered.   Answer Question

Engineering Leadership Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at National Instruments.

Interview

Flown in from out-of-state, and everything was arranged, beforehand by NI. Next morning, all candidates are brought on site for a breakfast with interview groups, and a personal guide, that help do some ice breakers.

The interviews aren't bad, a few behavioral to find out your career goals and how you might fit in within certain teams. The technical side of things wasn't overwhelming either. WHile I found the technical question very easy, many other candidates mentioned that they were stuck for a good portion of the time. After those interviews, a small team of current employees reviews your prepared presentation of your choice. End of the interview.

For the next day you, your group, and your one-on-one guides from NI all go out to dinner, and explore Austin. A nice way to see everything that the city has to offer.

Interview Questions

• Write a program (method) that for a given image, determines pixel values for an array.   Answer Question

Engineering Leadership Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

Interviewers came to my campus and conducted a number of on-campus interviews. These lasted 45 minutes and included behavioral and technical questions.

A couple of weeks later I was invited to visit Austin; the expense of the travel and hotel were paid. The trip to the NI campus involved a number of presentations on the company philosophy in the morning, followed by five interviews and presentations given by all interviewees. The day ends with a tour of the departments.

Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lubbock, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at National Instruments (Lubbock, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

It was an on-campus interview at Texas Tech University. There were two interviewers, both in RF Test Engineering. I met both of the interviewers previously, one at the info session and the other in my project lab class where he was watching us do project presentations. The overall experience was very good, the interviewers were very personable and easy to relate to.

Interview Questions

• Draw a non-inverting amplifier. Some basic questions about basic circuits like this and some graphing signal waveforms/transforms questions. Also a simple programming question.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at National Instruments.

Interview

45 minutes in person interview. Two interviewers - one from analog background and the other from digital background. It is a combination of behavioral interview and technical interview. Got the interview from campus career fair.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at National Instruments.

Interview

Applied on campus career fair, then applied online but almost every one can get the interview.
    On campus interview is after two weeks.
    20 minutes interview.
    Two kinds of questions: talk about your previous projects and coding problem
    Pseudo codes are sufficient.

Interview Questions

• 1. Hardest bug
      2. What's ur motivation
      3. Shuffle of cards
      4. Average of a BST

Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at National Instruments.

Interview

I met a recruiter at a career fair. They got back to me within the week to schedule an on-campus interview. We chatted about my resume for a bit, specifically past projects that I had worked on. He then proceeded to ask a technical question. Interviewer was only familiar with C, not particularly familiar with Java.

Interview Questions

Interview

Interviewed on campus with an NI recruiter, then was called for an on-site interview at Austin 2 weeks later. The interview process was very well coordinated. At each step of the process, the NI employee made sure that you thoroughly understand what the position is about and whether or not you would like working there. The travel process was very well arranged and the NI hosts make sure you enjoy your stay at Austin. The interview was an all-day interview, but 90% behavioral. I enjoyed my visit to the NI campus and loved the environment there; everyone is basically straight out of school so you have a lot of people your age. However I thought the work would not be fulfilling as I got the impression that it's basically glorified tech support.

Interview Questions

• For my on-campus interview:
      1) Describe a system that could convert a voice signal to a digital computer signal
      2) Other than that basically going over resume

For on-site interview:
      1) There were 5 interviews, each with someone else, as well as a technical presentation. There was a historical, behavioral, technical, and 2 others based on the departments you were interested in.
      2) Most questions were typical behavioral questions ("If you were in X situation, what would you do?" or "What interests you about X?").
      3) The technical interview was more of a puzzle than a legit engineering question. One of them had to do with clock timing signals and the other was about image processing.

Answer Question