National Instruments Interview Questions

Updated Sep 2, 2015

3.1

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at National Instruments.

Interview

Step 1. Screening via Hackerrank questions. These are basic programming questions to test your skills of data structures and string parsing. Step 2. Phone Screen. Discussion about the resume and a simple software question. They do ask you to code it in real time while you are on the phone. Step 3. On-Site Interview. Interviewed with several groups. At the end they ask you which group you liked the most and why. The questions are a mix of behavioral interview questions as well as technical questions.

Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX).

Interview

Be ready for a long day of many interviews. By the end of the day, you will feel brain dead. The day begins at 7:30 and doesn't end until around 8:00 pm. You have a host that gets you from Point A to Point B and s/he says she isn't interviewing you and that you can relax, but s/he votes on whether or not to hire you so it's best to have your game-face on at all times. During every interview, they will probe on technology interest and behavioral questions. They mainly just want to know that you can work well with others and that you can learn.

Interview Questions

• Can you describe a time when you worked with a team and disagreed?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX).

Interview

I attended a small conference by NI hosted at my University. I really wasn't all that interested but, after the talk, they were having interviews. The questions in it were very basic however, I know from a friend you had to have a minimum GPA to even have a shot. After that, I was asked to fly to Austin for a day of interviews and such. Like many other companies, you get interviewed by up to three different teams, each team has 1.25 hours with you where they ask both, technical and behavioral questions. After this is said and done, one last interview takes place for any concerns and questions you may have as well as routine questions for finding the exact match from the candidate's point of view.

Interview Questions

• Complete a program in C to print a string using a function.   1 Answer
    • You're given a class definition of a Car. This definition contains many object-oriented design flaws. Your job is to point them out and explain why you thought that.   1 Answer
    • You are given a class hierarchy of 4 classes and a program creating and deleting instances of this classes. You are to figure out the order and what kind of .ctor/.dctor. get called.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I tried to negotiate but they were really adamant about it; what I did not appreciate was how everybody was telling me it was other person in charge of the negotiation.

Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

Interview

Phone screen first which is at similar difficult level as to what they will ask for on-site interview . The hard part for on-site interview is preparing a 45 minutes technical presentations to a group of audience. One on one interviews are followed, and they usually have similar questions.

Interview Questions

• decibel calculations, measurement techniques and interpretations, low pass filter, zener diode, selecting resistors   Answer Question

Engineering Leadership Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

Pretty long interview process, initial behavioural interview followed by a technical interview. Flown out to NI headquarters and did a full day of interviews, both technical and behavioural. As a mechanical engineer, the technical interview was the most difficult, both hardware and software questions asked.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had to convince a group of people of your idea   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you went out of your way to help someone   Answer Question
    • How would you measure the temperature in a room and display the result on a computer far away   Answer Question
    • Given an array of 1-100 with one number missing, how do you find the missing number   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at National Instruments.

Interview

I applied through university recruiting website. The entire process took a little over two weeks. The interviewer asked about my resume and most proud of project. Also asked me about the worst bug I've had to track down. Overall it was a great experience, the interviewer was friendly.

Interview Questions

• Keep a list of integers sorted while new inputs are being entered.   Answer Question

Analog Hardware Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at National Instruments.

Interview

45 minutes in person interview. Two interviewers - one from analog background and the other from digital background. It is a combination of behavioral interview and technical interview. Got the interview from campus career fair.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at National Instruments.

Interview

Flown in from out-of-state, and everything was arranged, beforehand by NI. Next morning, all candidates are brought on site for a breakfast with interview groups, and a personal guide, that help do some ice breakers. The interviews aren't bad, a few behavioral to find out your career goals and how you might fit in within certain teams. The technical side of things wasn't overwhelming either. WHile I found the technical question very easy, many other candidates mentioned that they were stuck for a good portion of the time. After those interviews, a small team of current employees reviews your prepared presentation of your choice. End of the interview. For the next day you, your group, and your one-on-one guides from NI all go out to dinner, and explore Austin. A nice way to see everything that the city has to offer.

Interview Questions

• Write a program (method) that for a given image, determines pixel values for an array.   Answer Question

Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lubbock, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at National Instruments (Lubbock, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

It was an on-campus interview at Texas Tech University. There were two interviewers, both in RF Test Engineering. I met both of the interviewers previously, one at the info session and the other in my project lab class where he was watching us do project presentations. The overall experience was very good, the interviewers were very personable and easy to relate to.

Interview Questions

• Draw a non-inverting amplifier. Some basic questions about basic circuits like this and some graphing signal waveforms/transforms questions. Also a simple programming question.   Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Employee in College Station, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at National Instruments (College Station, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

A recruiter came to one of our on-campus career fairs, and after chatting for a while she reviewed my resume and encouraged me to submit my cover letter, resume, and writing samples online. A couple weeks later I was contacted for an in-person interview and a skills test, and we were given offers about two to four weeks after. The whole process went smoothly, and everyone I interacted with along the way was reflective of NI's overall culture.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you went about learning a new technology.   Answer Question