National Instruments Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014
Updated Sep 16, 2014

3.1

Software Engineer Internship Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at National Instruments.

They first did a presentation at my college to people who were interested in National Instruments. We met again at the career fair and answered few quick questions and told me to apply at the website also. Then he called me that they would like to interview me while they were here around the campus.

Interview Questions
    • Write a code in any language that will shuffle a deck of cards.   Answer Question

Applications Engineering Specialist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at National Instruments.

I met the company at a career fair after taking a certification course and passing. I spoke with them at the table and they later scheduled a phone interview. The caller was pleasant and not at all pressuring. It was a very enjoyable interview. There was 3 generic interview questions that everyone asks, then 2 technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • How would you sort a 100 integer array. How would you determine if zero is passed. How would you determine which index is nearest to zero.   Answer Question
    • How would you set up a thermometer to an air conditioner that is either just off or on.   Answer Question

Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at National Instruments in March 2012.

After submitting a resume through their web site, I was asked to interview with two technical writers. Then I was also asked to edit a document in Acrobat Pro under timed conditions.

Interview Questions
    • The folks interviewing me all had degrees in writing; none of them had any kind of engineering or science degree for working at an engineering company. That seemed rather odd.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Process took approximately 3 weeks. I applied online through the career portal. Got an email scheduling interview in 3 weeks. The Interview lasted 1 hour, some HR and 2 technical questions. Technical questions are mostly similar to what has already been mentioned on this site. Behavioral and HR questions were common.

Interview Questions
    • The interview exceeded the time mentioned in the email.   Answer Question

Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online - interviewed at National Instruments.

I found the job online and applied. Had nearly forgotten about it when I got an email almost 8 weeks later asking for more information and writing samples. Then they set up a phone interview and an editing test.
    The phone interview asked for more context about some of the portfolio I had submitted, and past experience. Most of it was behavioral questions about conflicts during group work.
    I was then invited to their company HQ to interview in person. It was a series of interviews, typically with a few interviewers, and a couple 1 on 1 interviews and demonstrations. Most questions were about how I worked with groups, and how I approached learning new things.

Interview Questions
    • Since most questions were behavioral, the hardest thing was trying to give fresh answers. I didn't want to rehash the same stories at every interview, because I thought I would come across as boring when they compared notes and all got the same story.   Answer Question

Business Process Analyst Intern Interview

Two on one interview. One person took notes while the other asked the interview questions. It was fairly straightforward but I had prepared behavioral questions the day before and wasn't really asked any. They were more interested in past experience and what I hoped to gain from the internship. The interviewers were very kind.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me to draw a diagram of the entire interview process and explain how I would improve any point in the process.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at National Instruments.

Internal process, standard behavioral questions

no additional negotiation

Applications Engineer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days - interviewed at National Instruments.

The interview involved two part process. First part was technical, which tested for IQ and math questions. Second part was personality, which tested the candidate if he or she had the leadership and sales potential.

Interview Questions
    • A candle takes 1 hour to burn down. How would you measure 15 minutes if you had 2 candles?   Answer Question

RF Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days - interviewed at National Instruments in February 2014.

On Campus interview: University.
     Lasted about 1 hour.
    Technical + Behavioral

Pretty simple.

Human Resources Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at National Instruments in March 2014.

I met recruiters at a college fair. They told me to wait around for the HR rep to come in. When she did, we spoke for a little about the internship more generally, and then she basically interviewed me on the spot and told me she would get back to me within the week.

Interview Questions
    • Would you call yourself mature and can you handle sensitive information?   Answer Question
    I followed up with her on Linkedin, and about one week later she got back to me with an offer. I wanted to get paid so I was happy to take any offer she gave me.