National Instruments Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2015

3.1

Software Engineering Intern I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at National Instruments (Gainesville, FL) in February 2015.

Interview

I talked to the recruiter on campus and got an interview the same week. It was a fairly short interview with one recruiter who asked about things on the resume and one technical question. The interviewer asked what the most troublesome bug that I had encountered and how I managed to debug it. (S)He asked me to go into greater detail than expected. (S)He also asked me to create a class to represent a deck of cards and how I would implement a shuffle function for it.

Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lubbock, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at National Instruments (Lubbock, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

Scheduled interview after job fare had interview on next day it was 1hour interview behavioural and technical both questions were asked overall interviewer was very kind and was very enthusiastic .

Coop - Hardware Engineer (MS) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

Started with digital logic review questions and followed by a lot of personality quiz questions. Questions were easy even for an undergrad senior, they also discussed a lot about the projects I have done. Interview experience was good. They were respectful.

Interview Questions

• Basic logic gates, solve a problem using state machine, implement it with flip-flops.   Answer Question

Digital Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at National Instruments (Atlanta, GA) in January 2015.

Interview

On campus interview after career fair. It was easy with technical and HR questions.
    Questions based on state diagrams and complete analysis of it.
    Very friendly and helping interviewer.
    HR questions were simple and general. Pretty chilled out.
    They took very long to get back withe result and i had accepted internship elsewhere.

N/A Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at National Instruments (Boston, MA) in January 2015.

Interview

the process was quite simplistic was really cool and it was great to have specific people there helping me. I was asked basic questions and afforded the opportunity to answer in a great environement from many different people. i would recommend such a process to anyone and everyone looking to find a job in this field or realm. Great opporunities await you

Interview Questions

• Some interview questions were as follows?   1 Answer

Negotiation

THe negotions are not possible

Applications (ELP) Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

I came into contact with them at a University career fair. I then had a in person interview the next day with one of the recruiters. He asked me two basic technical questions. After a while they asked me to come to Austin for an interview. They fly or pay to drive you down to Austin and invite you to stay the whole weekend. The interview is on a Friday but they pay for you to stay in a hotel until Sunday and even arrange hosts from the company to meet with you on Saturday and take you to different parts of Austin. They also give you per diem to pay for any meals or parking you may have to pay. They were very generous and accommodating throughout the interview process. The technical questions they ask generally they just walk you through a process. They are kind of tricky but if you just think aloud you should be fine.

Interview Questions

• If you have an array of 100 randomly arranged integers, ranging 0-100, how do you find out which element from 0-100 is not in the list?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not negotiate.

Digital Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at National Instruments (Ann Arbor, MI) in January 2015.

Interview

It's a on campus interview right after the career fair. First they did some back ground check and asked some behavior problem. Then it goes to technical problems described as bellow. The technical problem is more about basic one since it's a on campus interview. I still wait for more information about later on-site interview to get an offer.

Interview Questions

• A basic state machine problem. Glitch property and its solution.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Intern I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at National Instruments (Houston, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

I interviewed on campus after the career fair at our school. It was a pretty standard interview, nothing super out of the ordinary. It seemed like there were many people interviewing with them form the career fair, including several of my friends. It went ok, but I am surprised I got an offer as I think I only did ok and there were so many people applying.

Interview Questions

• They asked how I would create a program simulating a deck of cards, how would I shuffle them ect.. They also asked a question about a binary tree search.   Answer Question

ELP Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at National Instruments.

Interview

Met at the career fair and honestly didn't expect a response. Ended up getting a response that night about interviewing the next week, half technical, half personal. A second interview three weeks later over the phone completely character responses. The offer came through a few weeks after that, then another two comparing options. Both times very prompt about the next stage and times to be available, never had to shift time slots. Once offered, constantly in contact from multiple employees giving support for any questions. Great HR department, very personal experience.

Interview Questions

• Probably more difficult for myself to answer since my background is not coding, but "how do you find the missing number in an array of 1 to 100?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

competitive offer off the bat, no negotiations necessary. Came within $200 (including all packages and relocation funds) of another similar internship.

Software Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX) in December 2014.

Interview

My interview was scheduled for 9:00AM but I arrived at around 8:45AM. The campus is very easy to find and the visitor parking is well marked. I decided to go in early, and it turns out the recruiter was already waiting for me at the entrance. They were in a good mood and very friendly.

There were three different groups that I had to interview with. Each group had about an hour and asked me behavioral and technical questions. The behavioral questions were straight forward, but the technical questions varied in difficulty depending on each group. I was asked to solve different problems by shuffling class objects, efficiently sorting static and non-static arrays, and searching through binary trees. They let you write it out and take your time. I asked clarifying questions and even tried to get a few hints from them. The recruiters were very nice and helped openly.

My only complaint was that there were no breaks between the three interviewing groups. I could have asked, but presumed that there would be some down-time. It lasted about three and a half hours.

Interview Questions

• Write an algorithm that will randomly shuffle a deck of card objects.   Answer Question