National Instruments

Updated Nov 18, 2014
Updated Nov 18, 2014

3.1

/Co-Op Test Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at National Instruments.

I met the recruiters at the school's career fair and handed them my resume. They looked at GPA and then were more interested in the projects that I had worked on. Not much was asked there than that. I received an email about 2 weeks later to schedule an on-campus interview. 4 Weeks later I got a letter in the mail with my internship offer.

Interview Questions
    • 3 Different ways to measure resistance. It was on paper, so bring a pencil and be prepared!   Answer Question

R&D Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at National Instruments in July 2014.

I had my resume sent by a professor at my college to NI. A Senior Software Engineer contacted me and asked me to apply through their system and within a few days gave me a screening call. I was asked to interview with them, and was told in an email to dress business professional and to arrive shortly before 9 AM. The scheduled interview was within two weeks of the screening call.

Not one person in the entire building was wearing business professional clothes, including my interviewers. The woman who met me in the lobby to take me to the first of three interviews I was scheduled for met me and took me to a room, then handed me a packet of information about NI. I wasn't even given an opportunity to tour the building, even though I had been waiting for nearly half an hour in the lobby.

Shortly after I was left in the interview room the first team arrived. They asked basic questions, and seemed friendly enough. I was asked to come up with a sorting algorithm for a deck of cards and then asked to develop methods for shuffling those cards.

Literally as soon as the first team left, the second person (the same who I spoke with on the phone) interviewed me. He actually brought some of the hardware he worked with into the interview to show me, which I appreciated. He asked me to use a diagram to create a workflow. The objective was to determine how to effectively complete the processes and pick up that it was a matter of processor core optimization.

When the second interview ended, I was immediately taken to a different floor (though the interviewer bothered to walk me by one of his team's work areas to show me) where the final team was already waiting to interview me. They were the radio frequency team, and it was obvious the moment I sat down that the main guy interviewing me had zero interest in hiring me. I could tell from the tone of his voice that he felt he was wasting his time before I had said a thing other than pleased to meet you. He asked questions such as where do I see myself in 5 years, and what was the most interesting problem I debugged. He then gave me basic programming problems, and the interview ended with questions about salary and which team I preferred working with.

By the end of it, I had been interviewing nonstop for 3 hours strait. Not once was I offered a drink or any time to read the packet of information I was handed. At the end of the third interview, which I could tell the interviewer cared nothing for as he barely acknowledged any of my comments and made remarks about how far I could go at NI with just an associated degree, I was shown to the lobby and not even offered lunch. I received a rejection email within two business days. Good riddance. They don't even offer competitive salaries. I was looked at funny when I even asked for 50k even though I made as much without a degree.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really. Basic programming. Nothing even close to linked lists, binary trees, or maps.   View Answer

Hardware Engineer I Intern Interview

Campus career fair, only an 1 hour interview with some questions of basic analog circuit. Then I waited for nearly one month and sent an email to ask for the result. Then the offer came after several days.

Interview Questions
    • Questions are not difficult. The interviewer asked me to talk about the experience that what is the most difficult problem I have met and how I solve it   Answer Question

Software Engineer Internship Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at National Instruments.

They first did a presentation at my college to people who were interested in National Instruments. We met again at the career fair and answered few quick questions and told me to apply at the website also. Then he called me that they would like to interview me while they were here around the campus.

Interview Questions
    • Write a code in any language that will shuffle a deck of cards.   Answer Question

Applications Engineering Specialist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at National Instruments.

I met the company at a career fair after taking a certification course and passing. I spoke with them at the table and they later scheduled a phone interview. The caller was pleasant and not at all pressuring. It was a very enjoyable interview. There was 3 generic interview questions that everyone asks, then 2 technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • How would you sort a 100 integer array. How would you determine if zero is passed. How would you determine which index is nearest to zero.   Answer Question
    • How would you set up a thermometer to an air conditioner that is either just off or on.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Process took approximately 3 weeks. I applied online through the career portal. Got an email scheduling interview in 3 weeks. The Interview lasted 1 hour, some HR and 2 technical questions. Technical questions are mostly similar to what has already been mentioned on this site. Behavioral and HR questions were common.

Interview Questions
    • The interview exceeded the time mentioned in the email.   Answer Question

Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online – interviewed at National Instruments.

I found the job online and applied. Had nearly forgotten about it when I got an email almost 8 weeks later asking for more information and writing samples. Then they set up a phone interview and an editing test.
    The phone interview asked for more context about some of the portfolio I had submitted, and past experience. Most of it was behavioral questions about conflicts during group work.
    I was then invited to their company HQ to interview in person. It was a series of interviews, typically with a few interviewers, and a couple 1 on 1 interviews and demonstrations. Most questions were about how I worked with groups, and how I approached learning new things.

Interview Questions
    • Since most questions were behavioral, the hardest thing was trying to give fresh answers. I didn't want to rehash the same stories at every interview, because I thought I would come across as boring when they compared notes and all got the same story.   Answer Question

Business Process Analyst Intern Interview

Two on one interview. One person took notes while the other asked the interview questions. It was fairly straightforward but I had prepared behavioral questions the day before and wasn't really asked any. They were more interested in past experience and what I hoped to gain from the internship. The interviewers were very kind.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me to draw a diagram of the entire interview process and explain how I would improve any point in the process.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at National Instruments.

Internal process, standard behavioral questions

no additional negotiation

Applications Engineer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at National Instruments.

The interview involved two part process. First part was technical, which tested for IQ and math questions. Second part was personality, which tested the candidate if he or she had the leadership and sales potential.

Interview Questions
    • A candle takes 1 hour to burn down. How would you measure 15 minutes if you had 2 candles?   Answer Question