National Instruments Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2015

3.1

Digital Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at National Instruments (Ann Arbor, MI) in January 2015.

Interview

It's a on campus interview right after the career fair. First they did some back ground check and asked some behavior problem. Then it goes to technical problems described as bellow. The technical problem is more about basic one since it's a on campus interview. I still wait for more information about later on-site interview to get an offer.

Interview Questions

• A basic state machine problem. Glitch property and its solution.   Answer Question

Digital Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at National Instruments (Atlanta, GA) in January 2015.

Interview

On campus interview after career fair. It was easy with technical and HR questions. Questions based on state diagrams and complete analysis of it. Very friendly and helping interviewer. HR questions were simple and general. Pretty chilled out. They took very long to get back withe result and i had accepted internship elsewhere.

N/A Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at National Instruments (Boston, MA) in January 2015.

Interview

the process was quite simplistic was really cool and it was great to have specific people there helping me. I was asked basic questions and afforded the opportunity to answer in a great environement from many different people. i would recommend such a process to anyone and everyone looking to find a job in this field or realm. Great opporunities await you

Interview Questions

• Some interview questions were as follows?   1 Answer

Negotiation

THe negotions are not possible

Software Engineering Intern I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at National Instruments (Houston, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

I interviewed on campus after the career fair at our school. It was a pretty standard interview, nothing super out of the ordinary. It seemed like there were many people interviewing with them form the career fair, including several of my friends. It went ok, but I am surprised I got an offer as I think I only did ok and there were so many people applying.

Interview Questions

• They asked how I would create a program simulating a deck of cards, how would I shuffle them ect.. They also asked a question about a binary tree search.   Answer Question

Software Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX) in December 2014.

Interview

My interview was scheduled for 9:00AM but I arrived at around 8:45AM. The campus is very easy to find and the visitor parking is well marked. I decided to go in early, and it turns out the recruiter was already waiting for me at the entrance. They were in a good mood and very friendly. There were three different groups that I had to interview with. Each group had about an hour and asked me behavioral and technical questions. The behavioral questions were straight forward, but the technical questions varied in difficulty depending on each group. I was asked to solve different problems by shuffling class objects, efficiently sorting static and non-static arrays, and searching through binary trees. They let you write it out and take your time. I asked clarifying questions and even tried to get a few hints from them. The recruiters were very nice and helped openly. My only complaint was that there were no breaks between the three interviewing groups. I could have asked, but presumed that there would be some down-time. It lasted about three and a half hours.

Interview Questions

• Write an algorithm that will randomly shuffle a deck of card objects.   Answer Question

ELP Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at National Instruments.

Interview

Met at the career fair and honestly didn't expect a response. Ended up getting a response that night about interviewing the next week, half technical, half personal. A second interview three weeks later over the phone completely character responses. The offer came through a few weeks after that, then another two comparing options. Both times very prompt about the next stage and times to be available, never had to shift time slots. Once offered, constantly in contact from multiple employees giving support for any questions. Great HR department, very personal experience.

Interview Questions

• Probably more difficult for myself to answer since my background is not coding, but "how do you find the missing number in an array of 1 to 100?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

competitive offer off the bat, no negotiations necessary. Came within $200 (including all packages and relocation funds) of another similar internship.

Interview

It has been years ago, and they was really no detailed interviews as the company was on a hiring spree. They were looking for people who had worked at other companies and not straight out of school.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

there was no negotiation, it was you take it or leave it.

Staff Hardware Technician Interview

Interview

Grueling! At least 5 interviews. How many people does it take to make a decision? I felt like I was being interviewed for CEO. It seemed the purpose of the technical interviews (yes.. plural) was to impress me with their superior knowledge.

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at National Instruments (San Jose, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

Talked to Bryan in person and was asked for an interview. Little warning: summer internship starts in may so maybe have to take a quarter off to take internship. They are based in Tucson, Texas

Interview Questions

• How do you Convert from Digital to Analog?   Answer Question
    • Find the missing number in an unsorted array of size 99 of numbers 0 - 100.   Answer Question

Applications Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at National Instruments.

Interview

Campus interview. Submit resume during the career fair. Get contacted for campus interview in two weeks.Then, interviewed with different engineers and questions are varied type from HW to SW.

Interview Questions

• Ask questions ranging from resume projects to basic circuit design MOS, embedded system, memory, computer architecture, interrupt design, state diagram, and Java coding.   1 Answer

See What National Instruments Employees Are Saying

Former Staff Project Engineer in Austin, TX

Pros: “NI is a stable employer built on the respectable foundation of enabling domain experts to solve their problems cheaply and simply. The work is meaningful and has transformed NI's...”“NI is a stable employer built on the respectable foundation of enabling domain experts to solve their problems cheaply and simply. The work is meaningful and has transformed NI's deeply penetrated Instrument Control and Data Acquisition markets. Hardware solutions are built around LabVIEW, the company's benchmark software, creating a cohesive marketing and sales strategy in numerous scientific and engineering domains. The company extensively hires and trains college graduates, providing a welcoming and youthful culture for the transition from college to the workplace. Employees are encouraged to congregate at and outside the office with happy hours, sports leagues, beer brewing clubs, etc. The dress code in most departments is relaxed, a must for the engineering and CS crowd. The first 3-5 years of employment provide numerous opportunities for growth and career advancement. The stock purchase plan provides a significant boost to poor compensation, as NI is a stable and dividend-rich stock to hold.” – Full Review