National Instruments

Getting the Interview

9 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Austin, TX

I applied through college or university - interviewed at National Instruments in February 2012.

Interview Details – NI came to our career fair. I turned in my resume and talked with the people. A week later I got a phone call to schedule an on campus interview.
First we had a technical test with 30 multiple choices. Several people took the test together. It was an hour. Then I left and came back at the scheduled time for the interview. It was an hour.

Interview Question – Mostly behavior questions. One or two database design questions. Not too hard.   Answer Question

College Station, TX

I applied through college or university - interviewed at National Instruments in March 2012.

Interview Details – First stage of the interview was an on-site programming test and behavioral interview.

2nd round was an all day event. You get to tour their campus, meet some managers, and attend scheduled interviews. There were a total of three. They ranged from behavioral to technical. Overall a very fast-paced day. That night the team will take you out to dinner and a fun event on the town.

Interview Question – An ERD question involving relationship only to itself.   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at National Instruments in March 2012.

Interview Details – I met NI through a career fair. A couple weeks later, we were asked to join in on a 1:1 campus interview. After selections were made, we were then asked to attend an on-site interview that lasted for a day.

Interview Question – Name a project that you were in charge of, what went wrong, and how did you fix it?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at National Instruments in April 2012.

Interview Details – Received interview call after the career fair in Feb. First on-capmus interview in March 1 week, plant visit during last week of March and offer in April 3rd week. Plant visit was an amazing experience.

Interview Question – If you were to feature on a magazine's cover page which would it be? And what will be the head line?   Answer Question

Batu Maung (Malaysia)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at National Instruments in December 2012.

Interview Details – Resume filter, phone interview, on site interview, technical question ...

Interview Question – Technical questions of your area   View Answer

Debrecen (Hungary)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at National Instruments.

Interview Details – After 2 months, I got a call to have an english language test. Few days later, I was told to take a programmer test that took 1 hour. Not very hard, but have to keep the pace (1-2 minutes / questions).

2 weeks later I had a personal interview with a HR and with two person related to the field I applied. The questions covered the SQL, and programming basics, and it took an hour.

Interview Question – I had to make a database scheme on a whiteboard then describe the details to the interviewers.   Answer Question

Programmer Analyst Interview

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at National Instruments in February 2011.

Interview Details – First phone screening for about 30 mins, if the command of English, some technical skills and confidence is there, then the onsite interviews follows ; Personality and Skill tests. If you're the one targeted they will arrange a lunch/dinner with candidates to gauge how is the behavior outside the interview.

Interview Question – Tell me about the time where you had to invent/create a solution and how did you go about it?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Their method of hiring is based on skillset and personality, not interests or strengths

Bayan Lepas (Malaysia)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at National Instruments in December 2010.

Interview Details – Professional, courteous and informative. Looks for a cultural fit to the company in terms of attitude, mindset and intelligence.

Interview Question – What is the company's main product?   View Answer

Programmer Analyst

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at National Instruments in March 2009.

Interview Details – The recruiter worked quickly to get me set up for an interview. The first phone interview was behavioral with some pseudo-technical questions thrown in. Although my second interview had a scheduling snafu, it went fairly well. It was technical in nature.

After the second interview, I went to Austin to have two more interviews, plus a written exam. The culture there was amazing, and the people made sure I had everything I may have needed. Everybody was friendly and exude a sense of intelligence. The recruiter did a fantastic job of helping me out as well, giving me heads up and also selling me on how NI does business.

After all this, I was extended a verbal offer. I accepted immediately, and the recruiter informed me that I should be receiving the offer letter early the following week. Early the following week the letter never came. He called me and explained what happened and told me he would call me with a status update in a couple of days. When he finally called, he told me that Friday would be the day, and he would call me. He never did. I tried to reach him and never could until I contacted someone at NI. Finally two weeks after I verbally accepted the job offer, I was told that the offer was put on hold due to budget constraints.

The interviewing process went beautifully. However, I don't have a good feeling about the whole process because of how the offer was handled. If you get a job offer, please make sure to get it in writing before doing anything.

Interview Question – How would you design a website that links buyers and sellers of autos?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at National Instruments

Worked for National Instruments? Contribute to the Community!

National Instruments Videos

National Instruments – Why Work for Us?

NI employees enjoy a work environment framed more by guidelines rather than hard and fast rules; an outstanding, multifaceted compensation and benefits package; and access to tools and resources equipping them to drive… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at National Instruments Programmer Analyst interview questions and advice. All 9 interview reviews posted anonymously by National Instruments employees and interview candidates.