National Instruments

Average Difficulty
6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Austin, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at National Instruments in May 2013.

Interview Details – Received a mail from NI Senior software engineer for more information on my profile.
After few mail exchanges 1 hour interview scheduled.
He provided a Google doc link as a worksheet during interview.

Interview Question – Calculate average of binary tree?
Latest project? and debugging experience? challenges faced?
  Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at National Instruments in February 2013.

Interview Details – Round One: Phone Screen Interview

Interview Question – Technical Question:
 Questions related to binary search tree, calculating average of binary tree nodes.
Behavioral Question:
What is the most interesting error you have got in your previous experience?
How did find the error?
How did you solve the error?
  Answer Question

Columbus, OH

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at National Instruments in February 2013.

Interview Details – I applied the software engineer summer intern on the engineer career system of our university. Then a senior engineer contacted me to arrange a campus interview. Since it is only for internship, there is only one interview and i will be informed the result in 3 weeks. During the interview, I was asked to talk about my projects based on my resume. Then followed by a easy technique question.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult. Only one coding problem in which i was asked to calculate the average of a binary tree whose values are all integers. But "static" and "global" are not allowed.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Gainesville, FL

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at National Instruments in February 2013.

Interview Details – Applies through Campus portal.

Interview Question – Questions were standard. Binary trees, linked lists.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at National Instruments in March 2010.

Interview Details – It was 45min long interview. Asked a few behavioral , situations based ques followed by a few technical/algorithms ones. Find average value of all the values in BST? It went well but never heard bacl from NI whether my interview was successful or I am not invited for second round.

Interview Questions

Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at National Instruments in October 2010.

Interview Details – I met up with their recruiters at a career fair. I chatted with them, and later that evening they called me and asked to interview me. We arranged a phone interview for a few days later. An engineer called me and we talked about my experience, personality traits (talk about a time when you had a conflict with another engineer, etc.). Then I was asked a fairly involved technical question which I solved by typing in an online collaboration environment with pseudo-code. After the phone interview, they asked me to submit a formal application through their careers website.

A few days later, I received an invite for an on-site interview. Because of a planned trip, they accelerated the interview schedule for me and had me down in Austin within a month. I was flown down on a Wednesday and arrived at the campus at 9am on Thursday. I was met by a host engineer (independent of the hiring process) and taken to the first of a series of three interviews with engineers from three different teams in the company. Each interview was approximately an hour in length, with a ten minute break in between. They were highly technical in nature, with specific software challenges presented to me and a series of discussions about the solutions. After the second of these, I was taken down for lunch in the cafeteria, then back upstairs for a third and final interview.

After the last interview, I met with a manager who conducted a debriefing and answered my questions. Finally, my host engineer gave me a quick tour of the building before I was sent on my way. Later in the evening, my host engineer took me out for dinner and gave me a few suggestions for things to see in the city on my free day.

Again, due to my ensuing trip, they accelerated the offer process and I had the offer package in my hands within ten days of my interview.

Interview Question – A question was asked about dealing with a device that provides data into a buffer on a randomized basis and the data needs to be taken from the buffer and consumed as it arrives. There were specifics about interrupts and other things that the host processor is expected to be doing while it waits.   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at National Instruments

Worked for National Instruments? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at National Instruments Software Engineer II interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by National Instruments employees and interview candidates.