National Instruments

www.ni.com

National Instruments Software Engineer II Interview Questions

6 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at National Instruments in May 2013.

Received a mail from NI Senior software engineer for more information on my profile.
After few mail exchanges 1 hour interview scheduled.
He provided a Google doc link as a worksheet during interview.

Interview Questions
  • Calculate average of binary tree?
    Latest project? and debugging experience? challenges faced?

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for National Instruments

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at National Instruments in February 2013.

Applies through Campus portal.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were standard. Binary trees, linked lists.   View Answer
    No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at National Instruments in February 2013.

I applied the software engineer summer intern on the engineer career system of our university. Then a senior engineer contacted me to arrange a campus interview. Since it is only for internship, there is only one interview and i will be informed the result in 3 weeks. During the interview, I was asked to talk about my projects based on my resume. Then followed by a easy technique question.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult. Only one coding problem in which i was asked to calculate the average of a binary tree whose values are all integers. But "static" and "global" are not allowed.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at National Instruments in February 2013.

Round One: Phone Screen Interview

Interview Questions
    • Technical Question:
       Questions related to binary search tree, calculating average of binary tree nodes.
      Behavioral Question:
      What is the most interesting error you have got in your previous experience?
      How did find the error?
      How did you solve the error?

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at National Instruments in October 2010.

I met up with their recruiters at a career fair. I chatted with them, and later that evening they called me and asked to interview me. We arranged a phone interview for a few days later. An engineer called me and we talked about my experience, personality traits (talk about a time when you had a conflict with another engineer, etc.). Then I was asked a fairly involved technical question which I solved by typing in an online collaboration environment with pseudo-code. After the phone interview, they asked me to submit a formal application through their careers website.

A few days later, I received an invite for an on-site interview. Because of a planned trip, they accelerated the interview schedule for me and had me down in Austin within a month. I was flown down on a Wednesday and arrived at the campus at 9am on Thursday. I was met by a host engineer (independent of the hiring process) and taken to the first of a series of three interviews with engineers from three different teams in the company. Each interview was approximately an hour in length, with a ten minute break in between. They were highly technical in nature, with specific software challenges presented to me and a series of discussions about the solutions. After the second of these, I was taken down for lunch in the cafeteria, then back upstairs for a third and final interview.

After the last interview, I met with a manager who conducted a debriefing and answered my questions. Finally, my host engineer gave me a quick tour of the building before I was sent on my way. Later in the evening, my host engineer took me out for dinner and gave me a few suggestions for things to see in the city on my free day.

Again, due to my ensuing trip, they accelerated the offer process and I had the offer package in my hands within ten days of my interview.

Interview Questions
    • A question was asked about dealing with a device that provides data into a buffer on a randomized basis and the data needs to be taken from the buffer and consumed as it arrives. There were specifics about interrupts and other things that the host processor is expected to be doing while it waits.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at National Instruments in March 2010.

It was 45min long interview. Asked a few behavioral , situations based ques followed by a few technical/algorithms ones. Find average value of all the values in BST? It went well but never heard bacl from NI whether my interview was successful or I am not invited for second round.