National Instruments Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Oct 7, 2014

3.1

52 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I went to the job fair and talked with one of the recruiters. He handed me a sheet to apply online and I applied. I was called in for in an interview. I was asked technical questions and a little bit of behavioral questions as well. The interviewer was nice and it was a relaxed atmosphere.

Interview Questions
  • He asked me how I would shuffle a deck of cards in C++. THen he asked me how I would reverse a linked list.   View Answer
There was no negotiation phase.

Other Interview Reviews for National Instruments

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at National Instruments in September 2014.

I got the interview on campus, The recuriter is very nice, during the interview, he asked some behavior questions and very standard data structure question about tree, no design question.

Software Engineer Interview

Process took approximately 3 weeks. I applied online through the career portal. Got an email scheduling interview in 3 weeks. The Interview lasted 1 hour, some HR and 2 technical questions. Technical questions are mostly similar to what has already been mentioned on this site. Behavioral and HR questions were common.

Interview Questions
    • The interview exceeded the time mentioned in the email.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at National Instruments.

I met a recruiter at a career fair. The next day I was given an interview with them. The interview was pretty straight forward. There were no behavioral questions for me. There was one "tell us about a nasty bug and how you debugged it" question.

Interview Questions
    • They also asked to find the average of a Binary Search Tree   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

On campus interview followed by onsite interview

Software Engineer Interview

The entire process took about three weeks. I first spoke with them at the career fair, then had to fill out an online application. Within a week, I was informed that I was selected for an interview that would take place the following week. About a week after that, I was contacted with the results of my interview.

Interview Questions
    • Compute the average value of a binary tree.   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a bug you've encountered and the process you went through to fix it.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at National Instruments.

Interviewed for internship position twice. Make sure you are able to easily answer the two questions they ask.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at National Instruments in October 2013.

The campus interviewer had a hardware background and he hammered me with hardware questions which were difficult for a computer science student. When I muddled through them, the interviewer mentioned that he was impressed I was able to handle new subject material. My point in mentioning that is just that the campus interviews are limited by the people they have on hand, and were more difficult than they needed to be.

When I got to the on site interviews, my interviewers were all software engineers. Their questions tended to be reminiscent of what I've experienced at other companies.

Interview Questions
    • Given a binary tree with colored nodes, write an algorithm which will count how many contiguous chunks of color are in the tree.   Answer Question
    I actually haven't accepted yet, but I'm considering the offer. There was no negotiation phase, they just assigned me a salary based on my experience and education.

Software Engineer Interview

Had an interview on my college's campus through a career fair. This interview consisted of some basic C++ questions about classes, and a question on how to debug a program. I was then contacted about a week later for an onsite in Austin, Tx. This was a day-long interview with three 1.5 hour technical interviews, all of which were pretty challenging, dealing with low-level C, VHDL, and hardware design.

Interview Questions
    • Given a set of expected inputs and outputs of two sets of hardware (waveforms given), design, using at first a state-machine diagram, and then using hardware diagrams, an interface between the two pieces.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at National Instruments.

Applied on their website Careers section. The HR called a few days later, asked for my GPA and other usual questions (salary, relocation, etc) and told me that a technical guy would contact me later for a phone screen. A senior technical lead asked me for a 45 minute phone interview availability and scheduled it.

The HR and the lead told me that they were interviewing for multiple positions and did not give any info about the team. The 45 minute interview was split like this.

5 minute intro and 2 questions each of 20 minutes.

Never heard anything from any of them after that. I sent a follow-up mail, a week later and no reply.

Interview Questions
    • Explain your most memorable and challenging bug so far, in detail. How did you solve it.   Answer Question
    • How would you design and implement a text editor? Explain the data structures you intend to use for each of the features you plan to implement.   View Answer