National Instruments

Getting the Interview

45 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at National Instruments.

Interview Details – I met a recruiter at a career fair. The next day I was given an interview with them. The interview was pretty straight forward. There were no behavioral questions for me. There was one "tell us about a nasty bug and how you debugged it" question.

Interview Question – They also asked to find the average of a Binary Search Tree   Answer Question

Interviewed at National Instruments

Interview Details – The entire process took about three weeks. I first spoke with them at the career fair, then had to fill out an online application. Within a week, I was informed that I was selected for an interview that would take place the following week. About a week after that, I was contacted with the results of my interview.

Interview Questions

Interviewed at National Instruments

Interview Details – On campus interview followed by onsite interview

Interview Question – All standard questions.   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at National Instruments in October 2013.

Interview Details – The campus interviewer had a hardware background and he hammered me with hardware questions which were difficult for a computer science student. When I muddled through them, the interviewer mentioned that he was impressed I was able to handle new subject material. My point in mentioning that is just that the campus interviews are limited by the people they have on hand, and were more difficult than they needed to be.

When I got to the on site interviews, my interviewers were all software engineers. Their questions tended to be reminiscent of what I've experienced at other companies.

Interview Question – Given a binary tree with colored nodes, write an algorithm which will count how many contiguous chunks of color are in the tree.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I actually haven't accepted yet, but I'm considering the offer. There was no negotiation phase, they just assigned me a salary based on my experience and education.

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at National Instruments.

Interview Details – Interviewed for internship position twice. Make sure you are able to easily answer the two questions they ask.

Interview Question – What's your biggest weakness.   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at National Instruments in April 2013.

Interview Details – I applied through their website and was contacted for a one-hour phone interview a few days later. I passed that one and they flew me down to Austin for a day of onsite interviews with several different LabVIEW teams. They asked mostly technical questions and a few behavioral ones.

Interview Question – Write recursive and non-recursive functions to reverse a linked list.   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at National Instruments in April 2013.

Interview Details – I had an oncampus interview after a career fair at our school. I was asked mostly about my resume and whatnot. The coding question that I was given was shuffle a deck of cards. I was allowed to write sudo code and answered the question correctly.

Interview Question – There really was no difficult or unexpected question.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

Interview Details – Had an interview on my college's campus through a career fair. This interview consisted of some basic C++ questions about classes, and a question on how to debug a program. I was then contacted about a week later for an onsite in Austin, Tx. This was a day-long interview with three 1.5 hour technical interviews, all of which were pretty challenging, dealing with low-level C, VHDL, and hardware design.

Interview Question – Given a set of expected inputs and outputs of two sets of hardware (waveforms given), design, using at first a state-machine diagram, and then using hardware diagrams, an interface between the two pieces.   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at National Instruments.

Interview Details – Applied on their website Careers section. The HR called a few days later, asked for my GPA and other usual questions (salary, relocation, etc) and told me that a technical guy would contact me later for a phone screen. A senior technical lead asked me for a 45 minute phone interview availability and scheduled it.

The HR and the lead told me that they were interviewing for multiple positions and did not give any info about the team. The 45 minute interview was split like this.

5 minute intro and 2 questions each of 20 minutes.

Never heard anything from any of them after that. I sent a follow-up mail, a week later and no reply.

Interview Questions

• Explain your most memorable and challenging bug so far, in detail. How did you solve it.   Answer Question
  • How would you design and implement a text editor? Explain the data structures you intend to use for each of the features you plan to implement.   View Answer

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at National Instruments.

Interview Details – I had a phone interview which was not much different than other phone interviews posted here. They asked me about the hardest or most tricky bug I had encountered. The interviewer seemed genuinely interested in the story I told about my bug which was cool. Then they asked two programming questions about shuffling and averaging a binary tree. They requested C++ be used to solve the problem. I wrote code and read it to them on paper, talking through the code as I wrote it.

I was invited to an on-site interview in Austin, TX

I didn't have any issues understanding my interviewer over the phone, which was nice.

Interview Question – Find the average value of a binary tree of intergers   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at National Instruments

Worked for National Instruments? Contribute to the Community!

National Instruments Videos

National Instruments – Why Work for Us?

NI employees enjoy a work environment framed more by guidelines rather than hard and fast rules; an outstanding, multifaceted compensation and benefits package; and access to tools and resources equipping them to drive… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at National Instruments Software Engineer interview questions and advice. All 45 interview reviews posted anonymously by National Instruments employees and interview candidates.