National Instruments Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 15, 2015

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX).

Interview

I attended a small conference by NI hosted at my University. I really wasn't all that interested but, after the talk, they were having interviews. The questions in it were very basic however, I know from a friend you had to have a minimum GPA to even have a shot. After that, I was asked to fly to Austin for a day of interviews and such. Like many other companies, you get interviewed by up to three different teams, each team has 1.25 hours with you where they ask both, technical and behavioral questions. After this is said and done, one last interview takes place for any concerns and questions you may have as well as routine questions for finding the exact match from the candidate's point of view.

Interview Questions

• Complete a program in C to print a string using a function.   1 Answer
  • You're given a class definition of a Car. This definition contains many object-oriented design flaws. Your job is to point them out and explain why you thought that.   1 Answer
  • You are given a class hierarchy of 4 classes and a program creating and deleting instances of this classes. You are to figure out the order and what kind of .ctor/.dctor. get called.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I tried to negotiate but they were really adamant about it; what I did not appreciate was how everybody was telling me it was other person in charge of the negotiation.

Other Interview Reviews for National Instruments

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at National Instruments.

Interview

I applied through university recruiting website. The entire process took a little over two weeks. The interviewer asked about my resume and most proud of project. Also asked me about the worst bug I've had to track down. Overall it was a great experience, the interviewer was friendly.

Interview Questions

• Keep a list of integers sorted while new inputs are being entered.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at National Instruments.

Interview

Applied on campus career fair, then applied online but almost every one can get the interview. On campus interview is after two weeks. 20 minutes interview. Two kinds of questions: talk about your previous projects and coding problem Pseudo codes are sufficient.

Interview Questions

• 1. Hardest bug 2. What's ur motivation 3. Shuffle of cards 4. Average of a BST   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

I had two interviewers, from two different teams. They both took turns discussing the company, as well as what they do, how they are structured, etc. Then we went into my resume and discussed almost every employment opportunity I've had and the projects that stemmed from those opportunities. We talked about my interpersonal communication skills and how important that was to the company and their individual teams. Lastly, they questioned me thoroughly on the projects I've completed for other companies, such as difficult bugs I've encountered and other problem solving situations. Lastly, we had a single technical question where I had to write code on paper in a timed format while they waited.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at National Instruments.

Interview

Initially gave them my resume at a university career fair. I was asked to interview with them on campus that Friday. Second time I had interviewed with them and they asked the same questions as the first time. Neither time did they hire me. I thought I had done well in the interview, especially the second time, but there must have been a better candidate.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

Very easy, the people are really nice. They really love to work there, they gives you your personal host . As usual they give you 3 interview each last 1 hour

Only 65k before tax salary

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at National Instruments in October 2014.

Interview

applied at career fair, interviewed on campus. The interviewers were really nice and made me feel started off with behavioural questions and then basic technical questions on trees and linked lists

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I went to the job fair and talked with one of the recruiters. He handed me a sheet to apply online and I applied. I was called in for in an interview. I was asked technical questions and a little bit of behavioral questions as well. The interviewer was nice and it was a relaxed atmosphere.

Interview Questions

• He asked me how I would shuffle a deck of cards in C++. THen he asked me how I would reverse a linked list.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phase.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at National Instruments in September 2014.

Interview

I got the interview on campus, The recuriter is very nice, during the interview, he asked some behavior questions and very standard data structure question about tree, no design question.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX) in September 2014.

Interview

I met them at a career fair. After submitting my resume in person and online, they called and said I got an interview. I got a 1 to 1 interview at my school. I got asked one technical question and a bunch of stuff about my resume

Interview Questions

• How to find the average number in a binary search tree   Answer Question