National Interstate

Relevance Date Difficulty

Claims Examiner Interview

Claims Examiner
Richfield, OH

I applied online - interviewed at National Interstate in February 2013.

Interview Details – interviewing was awfully lengthy; thereafter, no response. A complete waste of my time.

Interview Question – Why do you keep leaving companies?   View Answer

Marketing Representative Interview

Marketing Representative

I applied online and the process took 8 months - interviewed at National Interstate in August 2012.

Interview Details – 2 interviews almost a half year apart. managers had changed and department had reorged.Wasn't sure which department I was being interviewed for. I thought that some of the interviews were too short. Interviewed with 3 managers

Interview Question – More interested in sports activitites I was involved in and asked more questions about inurance company I worked at than me personally.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Vacation negotiatiated but "off the books" . Really low salaries.

Underwriter I Interview

Underwriter I
Richfield, OH

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at National Interstate in November 2011.

Interview Details – Initial communication with HR was good. They were flexible with screening interviews, which mainly consisted of going over my resume. My first interview consisted of meeting with the VP's of 3 different departments. My 2nd interview consisted of a critical thinking/personality assessment and a series of 3 more meetings on a departmental level.

Interview Question – Unexpected- What was the first CD you've ever bought?   Answer Question

Underwriting Intern Interview

Underwriting Intern
Fenton, MO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at National Interstate in May 2011.

Interview Details – Acquiring this position took on a three part process.
1) The initial interview was a phone interview. This was merely to inform me that they were interested in moving forward with the interview process, tell me a little about the position, and, most importantly, make sure that I was a real human being. This was a very laid back conversation with a woman that was very personable. No pressure or further details necessary.

2) The second step was to come in for a "real" interview. This portion started with me talking more with the HR woman that had conducted the initial phone interview. This was a much more typical situational interview. Describe a time when.... Give an example of.... etc. Although this took a little more thought than the phone interview, honest answers made this phase a breeze. I would recommend not trying to lie on this part. As I stated before, honesty is what will land you this job.
      For the second, and last, part of this step I was interviewed by the underwriting managers with whom I would potentially, and eventually, work under. This was extremely relaxed and informal. It was at this point where I got the chance to ask the technical questions that pertained to what I would potentially be doing for the company. The two women that I interviewed with were very easy going and this their personable attitudes continued throughout the internship.

3) This last step isn't really a part of the interview process, but rather another "interview-like" situation that you would face upon accepting a position. Because this branch of the company is pretty small, the executives of the company are very accessible. You will be given the opportunity to do a meet-and-greet session with both the president and CEO of the company. They are very easy to talk to and make common chit chat very comfortable. This is also a good chance to make that valuable first impression to an executive with the company.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you were put in charge of a group.   Answer Question
  • What would you do if you were presented with a question in which you didn't know the answer?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The internship offer is non-negotiable. As with any internship, the experience is what you gain the most from.

Claims Adjuster Interview

Claims Adjuster

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at National Interstate.

Interview Details – - Phone interview
- Computer test emailed to you that is basically looking for consistency in answering same questions worded differently and personality
- First interview is with two to three managers. If they are in a hurry to hire then they may have you interview agian with several other managers before even leaving.
- Second interview with a department supervisor, again if in a hurry to interview will happen same day as first interview
- Second test in house. Mutiple choice and is logic/pattern based. If you do not recieve a specific score (85%?) then you are out.
- Last interview is with department VP
- drug and background

Interview Question – Questions are generic and came from textbooks/hiring 101   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotation. Have heard rumors that will sometimes accept a counter offer but typically no increase with request

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for National Interstate? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at National Interstate interview questions and advice. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by National Interstate employees and interview candidates.