National League of Cities

Relevance Date Difficulty

Outreach/Communications Position Interview

Outreach/Communications Position
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at National League of Cities in December 2010.

Interview Details – I was contacted to schedule an interview more than 6 weeks after I had submitted my application. I was surprised to get called for an interview because it took them so long to get back to me. The turnaround time was 2-3 weeks longer than I had to wait to hear from other companies that I had applied to around that time. It also complicated things because the job announcement was no longer posted on the company website at that point, even though there was a statement that all jobs would stay posted until filled. This made me skeptical about the organization's recruiting process and level of organization.

I was further annoyed when the recruiter had to call me back to change the time of our phone interview after we had already confirmed a date/time.

Finally, when we actually had our phone interview, it turned out to be the recruiter and another employee from the department. Both people seemed unorganized and in a hurry. The questions were pretty basic, but I don't think I made it to the next round because I was somewhat distracted by the vibes from the interviewers and my initial annoyance with the organization.

Interview Question – How would you go about providing guidance to a city leader that calls you for advice on how to improve their community?   Answer Question

Lobbyist Interview

Lobbyist

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at National League of Cities.

Interview Details – Phone interview and three in person interviews

Negotiation Details – Disappointing . . they would not discuss anything

Worked for National League of Cities? Contribute to the Community!