National Multiple Sclerosis Society

Updated Dec 18, 2014
Updated Dec 18, 2014

2.5

Director of Event Management & Marketing -- Chicago Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at National Multiple Sclerosis Society.

This process required EIGHT interviews over 2 months. The CEO position could not have been vetted with this much effort. This should have been a clear signal on what a bureaucratic organization this is.

What negotiation?? Take it or leave it.

Staff Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at National Multiple Sclerosis Society in October 2014.

Two interviews with management staff with questions relevant to experience and the ability to get along with others. Each member on the management staff had outlined individual questions that they desired answers to as they pertained to work experience, family life and marital status.

Interview Questions
    You meet our criteria and we would like you to start on November 3 which is your birthday.

Communications Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at National Multiple Sclerosis Society.

The HR manager contacted me for a phone interview. I told her I lived out of the country, and the first question she asked me was, "Do you expect us to relocate you? Because we don't do that." Kind of a weird start to an interview if you ask me. She then went on to ask about 10 behavioral questions, such as "How do you like to communicate with your manager?" "What is your presentation style?" "Tell me about a time when you didn't communicate well." "What types of media database systems have you used?" "Tell me about a piece you wrote that persuaded someone." "How do you prioritize?"

Basically they were weeding people out, but I wasn't asked at all about my previous experience or what direct skills I could bring to the position.

Special Event Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at National Multiple Sclerosis Society in April 2009.

I was referred to the interim manager by another member of the staff because I was a volunteer and somewhat familiar to the organization. I was required to include a cover letter, resume, employment application and background check release. Interviews consisted of being screened by the Regional Hr Director, meeting with the hiring manager, interviewed by the Senior Management Team individually, then Board President and last-interviewed by a panell of my direct reports.

The office is very nice, almost a little too upscale to be a non for profit. The culture is very casual and friendly. It appears that people have friendships outside the workplace. People are pretty loud and lively-not a buttoned up professional environment.

Most people who interviewed me asked if I had a personal connection to the disease. It seemed important even though I was told it wasn't a requirement. Willingness to collaborate is a huge deal at this organization-almost a requirement. It is also important that you contribute to some sort of fundraising even if you're not part of the development department. The Programs and Development Department are two worlds apart in terms of hours and expectations.

It can be a nice place to work if you are willing to work long hours and wear may different hats.

Interview Questions
    • Please tell me WHAT multiple sclerosis is?   View Answer
    • Working with people who have MS can be challenging because they themselves are dealing with physical challenges. Talk to me about a situation where you had to deal with someone that was disbaled. How did you respond?   View Answer
    There are organizational salary ranges that are strictly adhered to locally. You should really do your research ahead of time and be clear about your expectations before starting the process here.

For instance, Coordinators salaries can be 28-40K, Managers salaries can be 40-60K, Directors salaries can be 60-80K, Vice Presidents salaries can be 80-100K and the President (Executive Director) makes $150K.