National Multiple Sclerosis Society

Relevance Date Difficulty

Communications Coordinator Interview

Communications Coordinator
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at National Multiple Sclerosis Society.

Interview Details – The HR manager contacted me for a phone interview. I told her I lived out of the country, and the first question she asked me was, "Do you expect us to relocate you? Because we don't do that." Kind of a weird start to an interview if you ask me. She then went on to ask about 10 behavioral questions, such as "How do you like to communicate with your manager?" "What is your presentation style?" "Tell me about a time when you didn't communicate well." "What types of media database systems have you used?" "Tell me about a piece you wrote that persuaded someone." "How do you prioritize?"

Basically they were weeding people out, but I wasn't asked at all about my previous experience or what direct skills I could bring to the position.

Interview Question – How would you describe your presentation style?   Answer Question

Special Event Director Interview

Special Event Director
Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at National Multiple Sclerosis Society in April 2009.

Interview Details – I was referred to the interim manager by another member of the staff because I was a volunteer and somewhat familiar to the organization. I was required to include a cover letter, resume, employment application and background check release. Interviews consisted of being screened by the Regional Hr Director, meeting with the hiring manager, interviewed by the Senior Management Team individually, then Board President and last-interviewed by a panell of my direct reports.

The office is very nice, almost a little too upscale to be a non for profit. The culture is very casual and friendly. It appears that people have friendships outside the workplace. People are pretty loud and lively-not a buttoned up professional environment.

Most people who interviewed me asked if I had a personal connection to the disease. It seemed important even though I was told it wasn't a requirement. Willingness to collaborate is a huge deal at this organization-almost a requirement. It is also important that you contribute to some sort of fundraising even if you're not part of the development department. The Programs and Development Department are two worlds apart in terms of hours and expectations.

It can be a nice place to work if you are willing to work long hours and wear may different hats.

Interview Questions

• Please tell me WHAT multiple sclerosis is?   View Answer
  • Working with people who have MS can be challenging because they themselves are dealing with physical challenges. Talk to me about a situation where you had to deal with someone that was disbaled. How did you respond?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There are organizational salary ranges that are strictly adhered to locally. You should really do your research ahead of time and be clear about your expectations before starting the process here.

For instance, Coordinators salaries can be 28-40K, Managers salaries can be 40-60K, Directors salaries can be 60-80K, Vice Presidents salaries can be 80-100K and the President (Executive Director) makes $150K.

Worked for National Multiple Sclerosis Society? Contribute to the Community!