National Multiple Sclerosis Society
www.nationalmssociety.org New York, NY 1000 to 5000 Employees

National Multiple Sclerosis Society Special Event Director Interview Questions & Reviews

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
1 candidate interview Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Special Event Director Interview

Special Event Director
Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at National Multiple Sclerosis Society in April 2009.

Interview Details – I was referred to the interim manager by another member of the staff because I was a volunteer and somewhat familiar to the organization. I was required to include a cover letter, resume, employment application and background check release. Interviews consisted of being screened by the Regional Hr Director, meeting with the hiring manager, interviewed by the Senior Management Team individually, then Board President and last-interviewed by a panell of my direct reports.

The office is very nice, almost a little too upscale to be a non for profit. The culture is very casual and friendly. It appears that people have friendships outside the workplace. People are pretty loud and lively-not a buttoned up professional environment.

Most people who interviewed me asked if I had a personal connection to the disease. It seemed important even though I was told it wasn't a requirement. Willingness to collaborate is a huge deal at this organization-almost a requirement. It is also important that you contribute to some sort of fundraising even if you're not part of the development department. The Programs and Development Department are two worlds apart in terms of hours and expectations.

It can be a nice place to work if you are willing to work long hours and wear may different hats.

Interview Questions

• Please tell me WHAT multiple sclerosis is?   View Answer
  • Working with people who have MS can be challenging because they themselves are dealing with physical challenges. Talk to me about a situation where you had to deal with someone that was disbaled. How did you respond?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There are organizational salary ranges that are strictly adhered to locally. You should really do your research ahead of time and be clear about your expectations before starting the process here.

For instance, Coordinators salaries can be 28-40K, Managers salaries can be 40-60K, Directors salaries can be 60-80K, Vice Presidents salaries can be 80-100K and the President (Executive Director) makes $150K.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for National Multiple Sclerosis Society? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at National Multiple Sclerosis Society Special Event Director interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by National Multiple Sclerosis Society employees and interview candidates.