National Oilwell Varco

43 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Credit Analyst Interview

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

Interview Details – I interviewed with 2 people 12 years ago. It was not stressful. My understanding is that currently you may have to go through at least 3 interviews now.

Interview Question – It could have been "What do you know about our company", but I did my homework so I aced that question.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They were very professional. I received a proposal via Federal Express and they offer was generous.

Next Gen Rotational Program Interview

Next Gen Rotational Program
Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

Interview Details – 1st Round - (Behavioral)

The process began at my University's Career Fair with just small talk and exchange of the resume, it was followed by an information session with free food (they feed you a lot in this interview process). I believe they take 24 hours and review the resumes and then host on-campus interviews. I had two 2-on-1 interviews. The Interviewers gave off a relaxed vibe and the interview went smoothly and was quite fun. They then tell you a deadline of when you will hear back about 2nd round interviews, for me it was 3-4 weeks.

2nd Round - (Behavioral and Personal Interest)

This is the coolest part of the process, they fly you down to Houston and put you up in a pretty good hotel. Cocktail hour on the first night with an open bar and then dinner at a really nice restaurant with a small group, typically one employee for 2 or 3 candidates.

The next morning you get to hear the CEO talk for a half hour. Mr. Miller seemed like a jolly fellow and he tells you to interview the company and essentially not to take the job just for the paycheck. He wants you to be sure you like the people you've met the face of the company. Have a good relevant question ready for him. Don't just ask something that you can easily find on the website or will just yield an answer reflected in the corporations values.

After all that, you have your next round of interviews. This time it is 1-on-1 about 30 - 45 minutes and questions are again behavioral but also personal such as what is your favorite book or hobby and why. When interviews wrap up, you go on a plant tour.

Final dinner is a lot of fun at the Houston Aquarium, again an open bar, I felt like they were testing to see if anyone hadn't matured out of college. So don't get hammered. You will mix and mingle with a lot of the executives who have really interesting back grounds. Talk to them, be genuine, and don't interrupt other candidates or be rude to them. That is the fastest way to not get a job. The best thing is to talk to people that won't be at your table during dinner.

It's my opinion that a decent portion of their decision on hiring you hinges on the social interactions. There were a lot of high caliber candidates that were super smart but were introverts. I talked to all of the afterwards. None got offers.

It was a wonderful experience

Hiring Phase

This was my first offer and quite honestly, it was really low relative to everything I have received since.

Interview Question – I honestly don't remember. They will ask you about failure though.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate an additional one time signing bonus but it wasn't much.

Next Gen Rotational Program Interview

Next Gen Rotational Program
Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco in October 2013.

Interview Details – On- campus Info session the night before interviews. The next day I had a 1:1 interview and a 2:1 interview. We were one of the first schools they visited for recruiting that year and we were told we would not hear about who was chosen for second round for about three weeks. Second round of interviews is a couple days in Houston. The second round of interviews was honestly one of the most impactful experiences of my life. Everyone there will make you feel so special. The first night there's a cocktail hour and then you split into small groups for dinner. The next day consists of breakfast and a Q&A with the CEO, 2 1:1 interviews, and a tour of their facilities. There's a big dinner that second night with higher up execs and directors. Try to find someone to talk to that you genuinely connect with. It is important to talk to a lot people and make yourself known, but I firmly believe that the one in depth conversation I had that night is a big part of why I got the job. Don't blow off a conversation just because the person's job doesn't fit your experience- they can still vouch for you either way. Overall just be yourself and relax; don't drink too much, either!

Interview Question – "If you have 10 hours of work to do, but only 8 hours to do it, what is the process you use to decide what work you will give priority?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was fine with the pay and benefits so I didn't try to negotiate.

Next Gen IT Rotational Program Interview

Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco in September 2013.

Interview Details – I received this interview through my university's career resources. There were two back-to-back interview that lasted 30 minutes each. Interviewers were knowledgeable about the Next Gen program and knew all the ins and outs. All questions were behavioral, but non-trivial. You will have to think about your answers.

Interview Question – Describe a situation that you were in that did not have a solution, and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

Interview Details – I had a family friend who knew someone very high up in the company. After a brief email correspondence with this very-high-up person, I sent them my resume. He forwarded it to other directors, who passed it down and it ended up on the desk of my supervisor-to-be. He needed an intern for the summer, and I was the first he called.

Interview Question – How are you the most qualified candidate for this position?   Answer Question

Staff Accountant Interview

Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco in January 2013.

Interview Details – I received the interview through a family member who knew a recruiter at NOV. The company I interviewed for was actually called FiberSpar, a firm which NOV recently purchased. I found the staff accounting position, applied for it, and then the recruiter forwarded my resume to the hiring manager. He called me within a week and set up a 1:1 in-person interview at FiberSpar's HQ. The interview consisted of several basic behavioral interview questions as well as several technical accounting questions relating to account reconciliations. The hiring manager was very informal and mentioned things which I have never heard another interviewer say, "E.g. I'm not going to ask you stock interview questions because I want to get to know you." Overall I found the experience a neutral one as the recruiter who helped me out was fantastic and very sweet, but the hiring manager never even bothered to call be back and tell me the position had been filled. So I felt slighted in that way, but was very pleased with the positive conduct of the NOV recruiter. Overall this experience was neutral.

Interview Question – Why do you want this job? How does your past experience make you a good fit?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Houston, TX

I applied online - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco in February 2013.

Interview Details – Applied through NOV careers website. Recruiter contacted me through phone for a face to face interview.first round was a programming written test and then i was interviewed by the Hiring Manager and the Project manager and one on one with the team.
Most of the questions are from recent experience and on road blocks.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult or unexpected   Answer Question

Engineering Manager Interview

Engineering Manager
Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco in January 2013.

Interview Details – A friend of mine who works at NOV took my resume and circulated through several components of the company. I was contacted with several interested parties, I flew out and interviewed over two days, then flew home. I interviewed and took drug tests and sent in the background check paperwork from where I lived.

Interview Question – None really. It was what I had expected from an interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The hiring manager asked what salary I expected, I made my offer, they sent me a letter offer the next week which i found satisfactory, and accepted the position.

Buyer/Planner Interview

Buyer/Planner
Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco in February 2013.

Interview Details – One interview process which was only about 30 minutes long. Was at the location of the job as well.

Interview Question – What's some detailed skills that you have learned in school.   Answer Question

Next Generation Leadership Program Interview

Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco in October 2012.

Interview Details – I was interviewed by four people for an hour. two at a time 30 mins each. First two were general behavioral questions asked by an HR and another employee..
Second half of the interview was by two engineers;one mechanical and an industrial engineer.They asked more detailed questions like good and bad decision ,where do you want to work? salary expectation?

Interview Question – Tell me a situation where you faced a problem that you couldn't resolve?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at National Oilwell Varco

Worked for National Oilwell Varco? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at National Oilwell Varco interview questions and advice in Houston, TX. All 43 interview reviews posted anonymously by National Oilwell Varco employees and interview candidates.