National Oilwell Varco Interview Questions in Houston, TX

Updated Jul 27, 2015

2.7

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Houston, TX).

Interview

Interviewed by Different Engineering Managers, they showed you around the company and they explain you what they are looking on an Engineer and what the expect from future engineers for this company.

Interview Questions

• They asked you about experience on previous jobs.   1 Answer

Mechanical Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Houston, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

On campus interview, 2 30 minute interviews with a team of 2. One mainly technical, one behavioral. Interview on site Had a great time in the city, they wine and dine you 2 nights and put you up in a nice hotel. It was nice to interview with 50 or so candidates met a lot of interesting people. Interview was a lot easier here.

Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Houston, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

I was hired through a staffing agency. The process was pretty simple. I applied one day and was working the next. There weren't too many questions asked. Just general office related things. I am still here and grateful to be. They do a good job of teaching you a lot to make you more valuable to the company.

Next Gen Rotational Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Houston, TX).

Interview

Very intense 2 day interview process. Exhausting but fun. Only 2 actual interviews but really the whole thing is an interview. There is a huge emphasis on social interactions so make sure you talk to everyone!

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had a hard time putting your ideas into words.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Houston, TX) in November 2014.

Interview

Two interview process. First interview was to discuss job role and requirements/responsibilities. Second interview was to discuss specific attributes of the role and related experience. Final process took an extended time to do back ground check, MVR, etc...

Interview Questions

• How does your experience relate to the position?   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Houston, TX) in July 2014.

Interview

At first a phone interview, very informal. I was asked questions about my background, work experience and education. A week later I was offered to visit the office for an interview, during the interview we spoke about NOV, my work experience, and what they are looking for. I do not consider this interview experience as positive, since weeks later I was still trying to contact both the recruiter and the interviewer and received no feedback whatsoever. I believe that this company should take the time to inform candidates about the decisions following the interview, whether being positive or negative.

Interview Questions

• Tell me one thing you would change about your last job?   Answer Question

IT Systems Engineer Interview

Application

Interview

A recruiter will reach out to get your availability and then schedule your interview with the appropriate person. My interview seemed to go well but there was no follow up or response from both the recruiter or manager. Seemed like a great place though.

Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Houston, TX).

Interview

I was hired through a contract house. I had two interviews and both were on the phone. The actual job I was hired to do changed once I starting working there. My perception was that it was a good place to work but not one to move up. I liked that there was an on boarding process which was very helpful.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was quoted $39.00 per hour but that changed to 33.00 per hour once I arrived on the job site.

FR Processor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Houston, TX) in June 2014.

Interview

One person interviewing and she was late, she seemed ok but I could tell the department was a chaos based on what they were asking. They have a low retention rate and people quit in the Real Estate Department often.

Mechanical Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Houston, TX) in May 2014.

Interview

I applied for this position through the NOV careers board, and received an interview call two days later. My interview was on-site, with a panel of engineering managers and directors. The interview was straightforward, and I was asked questions pertaining to the job description and my resume. It was informal, yet professional. The work culture seemed quite typical of an engineering company. People were in cubicles in the middle of a large office area, and there were conference rooms, and offices surrounding the cubicles.

Interview Questions

• The engineering director asked me questions about my music shows, since I have performed shows in college. It was a friendly question asked towards to end of the interview, and something other hiring, or engineering managers never asked before.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate much since I was happy with the offer. I did request relocation assistance since I was moving to Houston from college.