National Oilwell Varco

Relevance Date Difficulty

IT Systems Engineer Interview

IT Systems Engineer
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

Interview Details – A recruiter will reach out to get your availability and then schedule your interview with the appropriate person. My interview seemed to go well but there was no follow up or response from both the recruiter or manager. Seemed like a great place though.

Mechanical Design Engineer Interview

Mechanical Design Engineer
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco in May 2014.

Interview Details – I applied for this position through the NOV careers board, and received an interview call two days later. My interview was on-site, with a panel of engineering managers and directors. The interview was straightforward, and I was asked questions pertaining to the job description and my resume. It was informal, yet professional. The work culture seemed quite typical of an engineering company. People were in cubicles in the middle of a large office area, and there were conference rooms, and offices surrounding the cubicles.

Interview Question – The engineering director asked me questions about my music shows, since I have performed shows in college. It was a friendly question asked towards to end of the interview, and something other hiring, or engineering managers never asked before.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate much since I was happy with the offer. I did request relocation assistance since I was moving to Houston from college.

Service Tech Interview

Service Tech
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco in April 2014.

Interview Details – I got a phone call from a NOV recruiter and scheduled a face to face interview. The face to face interview went well. I was asked simple questions about my experience and familiarity with downhole tools such as MWD, mud motors and various other equipment used in drilling. I did have previous experience with these tools because I worked as a roughneck for a drilling company before. I am also a military veteran and I also had a degree in mathematics. They seemed very interested and I of course was interested in working for Varco. They did explain the work load which was 12 hour shifts with lots of overtime which is what i wanted and expected given the nature of the job and the industry. They gave me a quick tour of the warehouse and informed me that they will keep in touch. I never heard from them after that. I have been applying at NOV for nearly 3 years now and this was the first interview they have ever given me. They certainly missed out on a great worker.

Interview Question – What do you know about downhole tools?   Answer Question

Systems Administrator Interview

Systems Administrator
Houston, TX

I applied through other source and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

Interview Details – I was hired through a contract house. I had two interviews and both were on the phone. The actual job I was hired to do changed once I starting working there. My perception was that it was a good place to work but not one to move up. I liked that there was an on boarding process which was very helpful.

Interview Question – What do you hope to get out of working at NOV?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was quoted $39.00 per hour but that changed to 33.00 per hour once I arrived on the job site.

CNC Machinist Interview

CNC Machinist
Conroe, TX

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco in December 2011.

Interview Details – Short one interview then hired, pay was pretty much set with first meeting, so be ready to negotiate at first interview. Pay range for machinist is $16 to $24 hourly. If you have Mazak or Mori Seki machine experience make sure to bring it up. Also Motors runs a staggering array of parts so talk about your thread type knowledge and different family of parts you've run.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult , except when trying to increase base pay then specifics about what machines and parts you know.   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Inside Sales Representative
Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco in August 2010.

Interview Details – Minimal interview, mostly who you know. There were no real questions, just a brief overview of the operations. There was a factory walkthrough, but that was about it.

Negotiation Details – none

Senior Credit Analyst Interview

Senior Credit Analyst
Houston, TX

Interview Details – I interviewed with 2 people 12 years ago. It was not stressful. My understanding is that currently you may have to go through at least 3 interviews now.

Interview Question – It could have been "What do you know about our company", but I did my homework so I aced that question.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They were very professional. I received a proposal via Federal Express and they offer was generous.

Momentum Engineer Interview

Momentum Engineer
Conroe, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco in February 2014.

Interview Details – I got called for an interview at Conroe, Texas, they paid and made all travel and lodging arrangements for me. They were very hospitable.

Interview Question – If you had the option to be someone else other than yourself, who would it be?   View Answer

Next Gen Rotational Program Interview

Next Gen Rotational Program
Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

Interview Details – 1st Round - (Behavioral)

The process began at my University's Career Fair with just small talk and exchange of the resume, it was followed by an information session with free food (they feed you a lot in this interview process). I believe they take 24 hours and review the resumes and then host on-campus interviews. I had two 2-on-1 interviews. The Interviewers gave off a relaxed vibe and the interview went smoothly and was quite fun. They then tell you a deadline of when you will hear back about 2nd round interviews, for me it was 3-4 weeks.

2nd Round - (Behavioral and Personal Interest)

This is the coolest part of the process, they fly you down to Houston and put you up in a pretty good hotel. Cocktail hour on the first night with an open bar and then dinner at a really nice restaurant with a small group, typically one employee for 2 or 3 candidates.

The next morning you get to hear the CEO talk for a half hour. Mr. Miller seemed like a jolly fellow and he tells you to interview the company and essentially not to take the job just for the paycheck. He wants you to be sure you like the people you've met the face of the company. Have a good relevant question ready for him. Don't just ask something that you can easily find on the website or will just yield an answer reflected in the corporations values.

After all that, you have your next round of interviews. This time it is 1-on-1 about 30 - 45 minutes and questions are again behavioral but also personal such as what is your favorite book or hobby and why. When interviews wrap up, you go on a plant tour.

Final dinner is a lot of fun at the Houston Aquarium, again an open bar, I felt like they were testing to see if anyone hadn't matured out of college. So don't get hammered. You will mix and mingle with a lot of the executives who have really interesting back grounds. Talk to them, be genuine, and don't interrupt other candidates or be rude to them. That is the fastest way to not get a job. The best thing is to talk to people that won't be at your table during dinner.

It's my opinion that a decent portion of their decision on hiring you hinges on the social interactions. There were a lot of high caliber candidates that were super smart but were introverts. I talked to all of the afterwards. None got offers.

It was a wonderful experience

Hiring Phase

This was my first offer and quite honestly, it was really low relative to everything I have received since.

Interview Question – I honestly don't remember. They will ask you about failure though.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate an additional one time signing bonus but it wasn't much.

Next Gen Rotational Program Interview

Next Gen Rotational Program
Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco in October 2013.

Interview Details – On- campus Info session the night before interviews. The next day I had a 1:1 interview and a 2:1 interview. We were one of the first schools they visited for recruiting that year and we were told we would not hear about who was chosen for second round for about three weeks. Second round of interviews is a couple days in Houston. The second round of interviews was honestly one of the most impactful experiences of my life. Everyone there will make you feel so special. The first night there's a cocktail hour and then you split into small groups for dinner. The next day consists of breakfast and a Q&A with the CEO, 2 1:1 interviews, and a tour of their facilities. There's a big dinner that second night with higher up execs and directors. Try to find someone to talk to that you genuinely connect with. It is important to talk to a lot people and make yourself known, but I firmly believe that the one in depth conversation I had that night is a big part of why I got the job. Don't blow off a conversation just because the person's job doesn't fit your experience- they can still vouch for you either way. Overall just be yourself and relax; don't drink too much, either!

Interview Question – "If you have 10 hours of work to do, but only 8 hours to do it, what is the process you use to decide what work you will give priority?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was fine with the pay and benefits so I didn't try to negotiate.

Interviews for Top Jobs at National Oilwell Varco

Worked for National Oilwell Varco? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at National Oilwell Varco interview questions and advice in Houston, TX. All 54 interview reviews posted anonymously by National Oilwell Varco employees and interview candidates.