National Oilwell Varco

2.6

57 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Next Gen Rotational Program Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

Very intense 2 day interview process. Exhausting but fun. Only 2 actual interviews but really the whole thing is an interview. There is a huge emphasis on social interactions so make sure you talk to everyone!

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you had a hard time putting your ideas into words.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco in July 2014.

At first a phone interview, very informal. I was asked questions about my background, work experience and education. A week later I was offered to visit the office for an interview, during the interview we spoke about NOV, my work experience, and what they are looking for. I do not consider this interview experience as positive, since weeks later I was still trying to contact both the recruiter and the interviewer and received no feedback whatsoever. I believe that this company should take the time to inform candidates about the decisions following the interview, whether being positive or negative.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me one thing you would change about your last job?   Answer Question

IT Systems Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

A recruiter will reach out to get your availability and then schedule your interview with the appropriate person. My interview seemed to go well but there was no follow up or response from both the recruiter or manager. Seemed like a great place though.

Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

I was hired through a contract house. I had two interviews and both were on the phone. The actual job I was hired to do changed once I starting working there. My perception was that it was a good place to work but not one to move up. I liked that there was an on boarding process which was very helpful.

Interview Questions
    I was quoted $39.00 per hour but that changed to 33.00 per hour once I arrived on the job site.

Mechanical Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco in May 2014.

I applied for this position through the NOV careers board, and received an interview call two days later. My interview was on-site, with a panel of engineering managers and directors. The interview was straightforward, and I was asked questions pertaining to the job description and my resume. It was informal, yet professional. The work culture seemed quite typical of an engineering company. People were in cubicles in the middle of a large office area, and there were conference rooms, and offices surrounding the cubicles.

Interview Questions
    • The engineering director asked me questions about my music shows, since I have performed shows in college. It was a friendly question asked towards to end of the interview, and something other hiring, or engineering managers never asked before.   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate much since I was happy with the offer. I did request relocation assistance since I was moving to Houston from college.

Senior Credit Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

I interviewed with 2 people 12 years ago. It was not stressful. My understanding is that currently you may have to go through at least 3 interviews now.

Interview Questions
    • It could have been "What do you know about our company", but I did my homework so I aced that question.   View Answer
    They were very professional. I received a proposal via Federal Express and they offer was generous.

Service Tech Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco in April 2014.

I got a phone call from a NOV recruiter and scheduled a face to face interview. The face to face interview went well. I was asked simple questions about my experience and familiarity with downhole tools such as MWD, mud motors and various other equipment used in drilling. I did have previous experience with these tools because I worked as a roughneck for a drilling company before. I am also a military veteran and I also had a degree in mathematics. They seemed very interested and I of course was interested in working for Varco. They did explain the work load which was 12 hour shifts with lots of overtime which is what i wanted and expected given the nature of the job and the industry. They gave me a quick tour of the warehouse and informed me that they will keep in touch. I never heard from them after that. I have been applying at NOV for nearly 3 years now and this was the first interview they have ever given me. They certainly missed out on a great worker.

Momentum Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Conroe, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco in February 2014.

I got called for an interview at Conroe, Texas, they paid and made all travel and lodging arrangements for me. They were very hospitable.

Interview Questions
    • If you had the option to be someone else other than yourself, who would it be?   View Answer

File Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Conroe, TX

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco in February 2014.

Met with Jill the Interviewer and she explained and discussed how and why nobody else at the company wanted to do these tedious job and that they were just looking to hire on a temporary to come in and do the file audits for them.

Next Gen Rotational Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

1st Round - (Behavioral)

The process began at my University's Career Fair with just small talk and exchange of the resume, it was followed by an information session with free food (they feed you a lot in this interview process). I believe they take 24 hours and review the resumes and then host on-campus interviews. I had two 2-on-1 interviews. The Interviewers gave off a relaxed vibe and the interview went smoothly and was quite fun. They then tell you a deadline of when you will hear back about 2nd round interviews, for me it was 3-4 weeks.

2nd Round - (Behavioral and Personal Interest)

This is the coolest part of the process, they fly you down to Houston and put you up in a pretty good hotel. Cocktail hour on the first night with an open bar and then dinner at a really nice restaurant with a small group, typically one employee for 2 or 3 candidates.

The next morning you get to hear the CEO talk for a half hour. Mr. Miller seemed like a jolly fellow and he tells you to interview the company and essentially not to take the job just for the paycheck. He wants you to be sure you like the people you've met the face of the company. Have a good relevant question ready for him. Don't just ask something that you can easily find on the website or will just yield an answer reflected in the corporations values.

After all that, you have your next round of interviews. This time it is 1-on-1 about 30 - 45 minutes and questions are again behavioral but also personal such as what is your favorite book or hobby and why. When interviews wrap up, you go on a plant tour.

Final dinner is a lot of fun at the Houston Aquarium, again an open bar, I felt like they were testing to see if anyone hadn't matured out of college. So don't get hammered. You will mix and mingle with a lot of the executives who have really interesting back grounds. Talk to them, be genuine, and don't interrupt other candidates or be rude to them. That is the fastest way to not get a job. The best thing is to talk to people that won't be at your table during dinner.

It's my opinion that a decent portion of their decision on hiring you hinges on the social interactions. There were a lot of high caliber candidates that were super smart but were introverts. I talked to all of the afterwards. None got offers.

It was a wonderful experience

Hiring Phase

This was my first offer and quite honestly, it was really low relative to everything I have received since.

Interview Questions
    • I honestly don't remember. They will ask you about failure though.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate an additional one time signing bonus but it wasn't much.