National Oilwell Varco Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014
109 interviews

2.6

Accountant Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco in May 2013.

This was an overall good experience and actually learned allot about the company going
    through it. The hiring manager was very professional and kept me very informed. Approval from
    senior management may take extra time depending on position interviewing for.

Offer was emailed. I accepted

Project Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

Resume is reviewed by an HR person and passed on to the Hiring Manager. A 2 step interview process is common. Expect more than 1 person (direct manager and another senior)

Interview Questions
    • Provide details of projects where you were the lead and had initiated yourself.   Answer Question
    Negotiation is possible. Pay is at par with market or about 5% below.

Real Time Drilling Optimization Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco in October 2010.

easy, friendly and very relax atmosphere, felt like at home. it was more like a "get to know" deal. conversation was more around personality, contacts rather than knowledge and skill sets

Interview Questions
    flexible and very open and friendly

IT Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

A recruiter will reach out to get your availability and then schedule your interview with the appropriate person. My interview seemed to go well but there was no follow up or response from both the recruiter or manager. Seemed like a great place though.

Mechanical Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco in May 2014.

I applied for this position through the NOV careers board, and received an interview call two days later. My interview was on-site, with a panel of engineering managers and directors. The interview was straightforward, and I was asked questions pertaining to the job description and my resume. It was informal, yet professional. The work culture seemed quite typical of an engineering company. People were in cubicles in the middle of a large office area, and there were conference rooms, and offices surrounding the cubicles.

Interview Questions
    • The engineering director asked me questions about my music shows, since I have performed shows in college. It was a friendly question asked towards to end of the interview, and something other hiring, or engineering managers never asked before.   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate much since I was happy with the offer. I did request relocation assistance since I was moving to Houston from college.

Welding Supervisor Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco in June 2014.

I recently had 2 of my best interviews for a Welding Supervisor position with a NOV. First interview was with the Welding Manager and The second with the Welding Engineer both went excellent hit every question on the head and both were very impressed even said that I am a highly candidate for the position. When I filled out my application and disclosed that I was a convicted felon then the interest all of a sudden disappeared. I understand people make bad decisions but some of us a very small percentage does change our life for the better.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. Everything pertained to welding which is my background.   Answer Question

Service Tech Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco in April 2014.

I got a phone call from a NOV recruiter and scheduled a face to face interview. The face to face interview went well. I was asked simple questions about my experience and familiarity with downhole tools such as MWD, mud motors and various other equipment used in drilling. I did have previous experience with these tools because I worked as a roughneck for a drilling company before. I am also a military veteran and I also had a degree in mathematics. They seemed very interested and I of course was interested in working for Varco. They did explain the work load which was 12 hour shifts with lots of overtime which is what i wanted and expected given the nature of the job and the industry. They gave me a quick tour of the warehouse and informed me that they will keep in touch. I never heard from them after that. I have been applying at NOV for nearly 3 years now and this was the first interview they have ever given me. They certainly missed out on a great worker.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Interviewer was sick so I waited about an hour to be interviewed by 3 other employees. Started with behavioral questions (interviewer 1), then talked to a really cool dude about working there (interviewer 2), and then talked to a guy who kept asking me to recite specific engineering equations which I hadn't studied in quite a while.

Interview Questions
    • One interviewer asked about specific engineering equations which I was familiar with but hadn't used in quite a while.   View Answer

Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I interviewed through other source. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

I was hired through a contract house. I had two interviews and both were on the phone. The actual job I was hired to do changed once I starting working there. My perception was that it was a good place to work but not one to move up. I liked that there was an on boarding process which was very helpful.

Interview Questions
    I was quoted $39.00 per hour but that changed to 33.00 per hour once I arrived on the job site.

CNC Machinist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Conroe, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Conroe, TX

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco in December 2011.

Short one interview then hired, pay was pretty much set with first meeting, so be ready to negotiate at first interview. Pay range for machinist is $16 to $24 hourly. If you have Mazak or Mori Seki machine experience make sure to bring it up. Also Motors runs a staggering array of parts so talk about your thread type knowledge and different family of parts you've run.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult , except when trying to increase base pay then specifics about what machines and parts you know.   View Answer

Worked for National Oilwell Varco? Contribute to the Community!