National Oilwell Varco

Updated Nov 25, 2014

2.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

Very intense 2 day interview process. Exhausting but fun. Only 2 actual interviews but really the whole thing is an interview. There is a huge emphasis on social interactions so make sure you talk to everyone!

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you had a hard time putting your ideas into words.   Answer Question

Next Gen Rotational Program Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

Was selected for a phone interview after I gave my resume to a recruiter at our career fair. Was asked mostly behavior questions during that time. About two weeks later I was selected for the second and final interview process, where they flew me to Houston. Most of the interview reviews listed below are the exact process: Dinner the first night, be very social then a facility tour with 2 interviews (one on one) asking situational and just general questions. And then a final dinner with higher management as well as execs. Make sure you are friendly to everyone, no matter who it is. Everything is a test it almost feels like but everyone is very friendly, so conversations are not hard to start if you're a social person. Be yourself because you don't want to work for a company that you aren't going to fit into.

Interview Questions
    • -How do you describe being successful?
      -Give me a time where you were shared confidential information and what was the process you followed after receiving such information?

Answer Question
    Theres no negotiation as everyone in your program/major will receive the same salary figure.

Applications Support Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

Applied via college career gateway for on campus interview. Face to face. Mostly Behavioral interview with one verbal case study. Very relaxed interview with the manager of the team you will work with.

Interview Questions
    • How you would solve a business problem.
      What are your Salary expectations?

View Answer

Field Support Coordinator Interview

Be prepared to answer thought questions. Must be a go getter. Honesty and a good sense of humor helps. ,it's be reliable and she loyalty. Dress we'll and learn about the product they work on. Communication skills is a must.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself. What did you do when you had to deal with a boss you didn't like.   Answer Question
    Very easy. They rolled out the red carpet.

Field Tech Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

The recruiter called me to set a mechanical and personality test after-which he said that I would be contacted by him to complete a final phone interview. From there I went to the store and got a one on one interview with the store manager where they put me in the shop to see if I could pick up on what the company was all about.

Machine Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bridgeport, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bridgeport, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

After a friend recommended me to his employer, I was asked to drive to the Bridgeport office for an interview. After a brief conversation about my qualifications, they told me that I had the job. I had to come in for a briefing and a physical, but the process was very straightforward.

Interview Questions
    • The usual questions, "why do you want to work for this company?" "Why do you feel that you would be a good fit?" "Are you willing to work hard?"   Answer Question
    Fixed rate per hour, $14.50.

Test Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

Was contacted by a HR rep and had a phone interview. Followed by an on-campus interview in Cedar Park, Texas. The interview was more about what the position was rather than a skills interview.

Next Gen Rotational Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco in October 2014.

There were two On-Campus Interviews in the span of 1 hr (30 minutes each interview). There were 4 interviewers in total. I got 2 interviewers per interview. 1 interviewer was the manager in charge of recruiting students for the program, 1 was an alumni of my university, and 2 were there to help the manager with technical question.

It was an overall positive experience. Really nice people, they were really friendly. All behavioral questions.

The only downside is that they interviewed me 30 minutes late because the person before me went over time and no one kept the clock on him. That is a bit unprofessional

Interview Questions
    • What is your expected salary?

Tell me a time when you had to settle a conflict between two people.

Tell me a time when you took an opportunity and ran with it.

Tell me about a leadership position.

Answer Question

Next Gen Rotational Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco in October 2014.

I spoke with them at career fair, got an on campus interview invitation a few weeks later. Because of some reason I wasn't able to register for an on campus (university website problem) interview and they offered a phone call interview. 10 days later I was scheduled for a phone call interview. They were 20 min late, the interview lasted 45 min. It was with 2 people, one for behavioral one for technical questions, half/half of the time division.

Interview Questions
    • "Give me an example of what makes you stressful?"   Answer Question
    • Assuming the same cost and result, would you prefer solving a problem using mathematical methods or building a prototype?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

Resume is reviewed by an HR person and passed on to the Hiring Manager. A 2 step interview process is common. Expect more than 1 person (direct manager and another senior)

Interview Questions
    • Provide details of projects where you were the lead and had initiated yourself.   Answer Question
    Negotiation is possible. Pay is at par with market or about 5% below.