National Oilwell Varco

Updated Nov 25, 2014

2.6

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco in July 2014.

At first a phone interview, very informal. I was asked questions about my background, work experience and education. A week later I was offered to visit the office for an interview, during the interview we spoke about NOV, my work experience, and what they are looking for. I do not consider this interview experience as positive, since weeks later I was still trying to contact both the recruiter and the interviewer and received no feedback whatsoever. I believe that this company should take the time to inform candidates about the decisions following the interview, whether being positive or negative.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me one thing you would change about your last job?   Answer Question

IT Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

A recruiter will reach out to get your availability and then schedule your interview with the appropriate person. My interview seemed to go well but there was no follow up or response from both the recruiter or manager. Seemed like a great place though.

Welding Supervisor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco in June 2014.

I recently had 2 of my best interviews for a Welding Supervisor position with a NOV. First interview was with the Welding Manager and The second with the Welding Engineer both went excellent hit every question on the head and both were very impressed even said that I am a highly candidate for the position. When I filled out my application and disclosed that I was a convicted felon then the interest all of a sudden disappeared. I understand people make bad decisions but some of us a very small percentage does change our life for the better.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. Everything pertained to welding which is my background.   Answer Question

Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

I was hired through a contract house. I had two interviews and both were on the phone. The actual job I was hired to do changed once I starting working there. My perception was that it was a good place to work but not one to move up. I liked that there was an on boarding process which was very helpful.

Interview Questions
    I was quoted $39.00 per hour but that changed to 33.00 per hour once I arrived on the job site.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Interviewer was sick so I waited about an hour to be interviewed by 3 other employees. Started with behavioral questions (interviewer 1), then talked to a really cool dude about working there (interviewer 2), and then talked to a guy who kept asking me to recite specific engineering equations which I hadn't studied in quite a while.

Interview Questions
    • One interviewer asked about specific engineering equations which I was familiar with but hadn't used in quite a while.   View Answer

Mechanical Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco in May 2014.

I applied for this position through the NOV careers board, and received an interview call two days later. My interview was on-site, with a panel of engineering managers and directors. The interview was straightforward, and I was asked questions pertaining to the job description and my resume. It was informal, yet professional. The work culture seemed quite typical of an engineering company. People were in cubicles in the middle of a large office area, and there were conference rooms, and offices surrounding the cubicles.

Interview Questions
    • The engineering director asked me questions about my music shows, since I have performed shows in college. It was a friendly question asked towards to end of the interview, and something other hiring, or engineering managers never asked before.   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate much since I was happy with the offer. I did request relocation assistance since I was moving to Houston from college.

Ap Speliast Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at National Oilwell Varco in May 2014.

Contacted through an agency for a phone interview. The interview was just 15 min. One of the shortest interviews I have ever had.The process was easy, quick and short.

Quite simple

Technical Instructor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

You will be asked about your technical acumen and your ability to instruct classes with regards to technical content. Should you pass this round of interviews you will be asked to create a presentation that will be viewed as a simulated class to give to management and other instructors. Be advised, the position you are seeking is technical in nature so your presentation should cover a subject matter that you are comfortable with but contain some kind of technical base.

Create a PowerPoint that looks like it was professionally produced and limit the amount of words on the screen. Memorize what you are going to say and be willing to "wing it" as questions will be asked to test whether or not you know what you are talking about. Hand outs and hands-on would be an added bonus.

Interview Questions
    Very straight forward. There is a set pay scale for the position as well as vacation.

Accountant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

Two interview process within a 3 week period, offer letter, and pre-employment screening. Two weeks till start date from date of hire.

Interview Questions
    • No questions, listened. By far easiest interview I've ever had.   Answer Question

Senior Credit Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

I interviewed with 2 people 12 years ago. It was not stressful. My understanding is that currently you may have to go through at least 3 interviews now.

Interview Questions
    • It could have been "What do you know about our company", but I did my homework so I aced that question.   View Answer
    They were very professional. I received a proposal via Federal Express and they offer was generous.