National Oilwell Varco

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Accountant Interview

Accountant

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

Interview Details – Two interview process within a 3 week period, offer letter, and pre-employment screening. Two weeks till start date from date of hire.

Interview Question – No questions, listened. By far easiest interview I've ever had.   Answer Question

Technical Instructor Interview

Technical Instructor

I applied online and interviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

Interview Details – You will be asked about your technical acumen and your ability to instruct classes with regards to technical content. Should you pass this round of interviews you will be asked to create a presentation that will be viewed as a simulated class to give to management and other instructors. Be advised, the position you are seeking is technical in nature so your presentation should cover a subject matter that you are comfortable with but contain some kind of technical base.

Create a PowerPoint that looks like it was professionally produced and limit the amount of words on the screen. Memorize what you are going to say and be willing to "wing it" as questions will be asked to test whether or not you know what you are talking about. Hand outs and hands-on would be an added bonus.

Interview Question – The presentation.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very straight forward. There is a set pay scale for the position as well as vacation.

Senior Credit Analyst Interview

Senior Credit Analyst
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

Interview Details – I interviewed with 2 people 12 years ago. It was not stressful. My understanding is that currently you may have to go through at least 3 interviews now.

Interview Question – It could have been "What do you know about our company", but I did my homework so I aced that question.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They were very professional. I received a proposal via Federal Express and they offer was generous.

Momentum Engineer Interview

Momentum Engineer
Conroe, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco in February 2014.

Interview Details – I got called for an interview at Conroe, Texas, they paid and made all travel and lodging arrangements for me. They were very hospitable.

Interview Question – If you had the option to be someone else other than yourself, who would it be?   View Answer

Electrical Engineer Interview

Electrical Engineer
Saint Paul, MN

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online after seeing a posting at my college. Received a phone call a few weeks later from a recruiter in Texas. Said that my listed salary was probably too high but to fill out another application and send it to her. She forwarded it onto the location I had applied for.

Was contacted by the HR lady at the location I applied at and set up a time to interview. Interviewed onsite for about 3 hours. Had two interviews with members of the team I was interviewing for the position on and one interview with the hiring manager. Before leaving I reviewed benefits with the HR lady.

Older facility, but very nice people and environment. Very prompt with getting hotel lined up and paid mileage while onsite.

They told me that it would be about a month until I would hear back. I heard back after about three weeks and was told I was being extended an offer and most of the details of it. Received the offer via email two days later.

Interview Question – Are you willing to be away for a 3-5 week period once a year?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I received another offer from the company that I was working at. Benefits were above average with good vacation and holiday amounts. For the location the salary was maybe $5k under what would have been comparable to what I took, but not a bad offer.

Field Service Technician Interview

Field Service Technician

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco in February 2014.

Interview Details – Was contacted by a recruiter from HR after online application. Process took about a month. Had two interviews,phone and onsite technical interview. Took an online skills test then at the onsite interview was asked to take another test. Pretty basic stuff.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult,it was all stuff you should be familiar with if you have an engineering degree. I was a little over qualified for the position (I have a masters).   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Simple,straight forward and direct.

Mechanical Engineering Interview

Mechanical Engineering
Orange, CA

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

Interview Details – Took 1 hr 1:1 interview with 3 people. Average questions.

Interview Question – Any experience related to engineering environment.   Answer Question

Next Gen Rotational Program Interview

Next Gen Rotational Program
Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

Interview Details – 1st Round - (Behavioral)

The process began at my University's Career Fair with just small talk and exchange of the resume, it was followed by an information session with free food (they feed you a lot in this interview process). I believe they take 24 hours and review the resumes and then host on-campus interviews. I had two 2-on-1 interviews. The Interviewers gave off a relaxed vibe and the interview went smoothly and was quite fun. They then tell you a deadline of when you will hear back about 2nd round interviews, for me it was 3-4 weeks.

2nd Round - (Behavioral and Personal Interest)

This is the coolest part of the process, they fly you down to Houston and put you up in a pretty good hotel. Cocktail hour on the first night with an open bar and then dinner at a really nice restaurant with a small group, typically one employee for 2 or 3 candidates.

The next morning you get to hear the CEO talk for a half hour. Mr. Miller seemed like a jolly fellow and he tells you to interview the company and essentially not to take the job just for the paycheck. He wants you to be sure you like the people you've met the face of the company. Have a good relevant question ready for him. Don't just ask something that you can easily find on the website or will just yield an answer reflected in the corporations values.

After all that, you have your next round of interviews. This time it is 1-on-1 about 30 - 45 minutes and questions are again behavioral but also personal such as what is your favorite book or hobby and why. When interviews wrap up, you go on a plant tour.

Final dinner is a lot of fun at the Houston Aquarium, again an open bar, I felt like they were testing to see if anyone hadn't matured out of college. So don't get hammered. You will mix and mingle with a lot of the executives who have really interesting back grounds. Talk to them, be genuine, and don't interrupt other candidates or be rude to them. That is the fastest way to not get a job. The best thing is to talk to people that won't be at your table during dinner.

It's my opinion that a decent portion of their decision on hiring you hinges on the social interactions. There were a lot of high caliber candidates that were super smart but were introverts. I talked to all of the afterwards. None got offers.

It was a wonderful experience

Hiring Phase

This was my first offer and quite honestly, it was really low relative to everything I have received since.

Interview Question – I honestly don't remember. They will ask you about failure though.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate an additional one time signing bonus but it wasn't much.

National Oilwell Varco Interview

National Oilwell Varco
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco in December 2011.

Interview Details – I interviewed with only the office manager and only once. They were in need of a qualified candidate quickly due to high turnover, I should have seen a sign but I was in need of a paying job. Most employees now are hired through a temp agency and are not always brought on with the company in the expected 3 month time period.

Interview Question – What do you know about the oil and gas industry?   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – The manager was reluctant to negotiate but I was able to get a small increase from just one simple request.

Next Gen Rotational Program Interview

Next Gen Rotational Program
Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco in October 2013.

Interview Details – On- campus Info session the night before interviews. The next day I had a 1:1 interview and a 2:1 interview. We were one of the first schools they visited for recruiting that year and we were told we would not hear about who was chosen for second round for about three weeks. Second round of interviews is a couple days in Houston. The second round of interviews was honestly one of the most impactful experiences of my life. Everyone there will make you feel so special. The first night there's a cocktail hour and then you split into small groups for dinner. The next day consists of breakfast and a Q&A with the CEO, 2 1:1 interviews, and a tour of their facilities. There's a big dinner that second night with higher up execs and directors. Try to find someone to talk to that you genuinely connect with. It is important to talk to a lot people and make yourself known, but I firmly believe that the one in depth conversation I had that night is a big part of why I got the job. Don't blow off a conversation just because the person's job doesn't fit your experience- they can still vouch for you either way. Overall just be yourself and relax; don't drink too much, either!

Interview Question – "If you have 10 hours of work to do, but only 8 hours to do it, what is the process you use to decide what work you will give priority?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was fine with the pay and benefits so I didn't try to negotiate.

Interviews for Top Jobs at National Oilwell Varco