National Oilwell Varco Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2015

2.7

Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Houston, TX).

Interview

I was hired through a contract house. I had two interviews and both were on the phone. The actual job I was hired to do changed once I starting working there. My perception was that it was a good place to work but not one to move up. I liked that there was an on boarding process which was very helpful.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was quoted $39.00 per hour but that changed to 33.00 per hour once I arrived on the job site.

Welding Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco in June 2014.

Interview

I recently had 2 of my best interviews for a Welding Supervisor position with a NOV. First interview was with the Welding Manager and The second with the Welding Engineer both went excellent hit every question on the head and both were very impressed even said that I am a highly candidate for the position. When I filled out my application and disclosed that I was a convicted felon then the interest all of a sudden disappeared. I understand people make bad decisions but some of us a very small percentage does change our life for the better.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions. Everything pertained to welding which is my background.   Answer Question

FR Processor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Houston, TX) in June 2014.

Interview

One person interviewing and she was late, she seemed ok but I could tell the department was a chaos based on what they were asking. They have a low retention rate and people quit in the Real Estate Department often.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Interview

Interviewer was sick so I waited about an hour to be interviewed by 3 other employees. Started with behavioral questions (interviewer 1), then talked to a really cool dude about working there (interviewer 2), and then talked to a guy who kept asking me to recite specific engineering equations which I hadn't studied in quite a while.

Interview Questions

• One interviewer asked about specific engineering equations which I was familiar with but hadn't used in quite a while.   1 Answer

Mechanical Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Houston, TX) in May 2014.

Interview

I applied for this position through the NOV careers board, and received an interview call two days later. My interview was on-site, with a panel of engineering managers and directors. The interview was straightforward, and I was asked questions pertaining to the job description and my resume. It was informal, yet professional. The work culture seemed quite typical of an engineering company. People were in cubicles in the middle of a large office area, and there were conference rooms, and offices surrounding the cubicles.

Interview Questions

• The engineering director asked me questions about my music shows, since I have performed shows in college. It was a friendly question asked towards to end of the interview, and something other hiring, or engineering managers never asked before.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate much since I was happy with the offer. I did request relocation assistance since I was moving to Houston from college.

Ap Speliast Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco in May 2014.

Interview

Contacted through an agency for a phone interview. The interview was just 15 min. One of the shortest interviews I have ever had.The process was easy, quick and short.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Quite simple

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

Interview

You will be asked about your technical acumen and your ability to instruct classes with regards to technical content. Should you pass this round of interviews you will be asked to create a presentation that will be viewed as a simulated class to give to management and other instructors. Be advised, the position you are seeking is technical in nature so your presentation should cover a subject matter that you are comfortable with but contain some kind of technical base. Create a PowerPoint that looks like it was professionally produced and limit the amount of words on the screen. Memorize what you are going to say and be willing to "wing it" as questions will be asked to test whether or not you know what you are talking about. Hand outs and hands-on would be an added bonus.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Very straight forward. There is a set pay scale for the position as well as vacation.

Accountant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

Interview

Two interview process within a 3 week period, offer letter, and pre-employment screening. Two weeks till start date from date of hire.

Interview Questions

• No questions, listened. By far easiest interview I've ever had.   Answer Question

Senior Credit Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Houston, TX).

Interview

I interviewed with 2 people 12 years ago. It was not stressful. My understanding is that currently you may have to go through at least 3 interviews now.

Interview Questions

• It could have been "What do you know about our company", but I did my homework so I aced that question.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They were very professional. I received a proposal via Federal Express and they offer was generous.

Service Tech Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Houston, TX) in April 2014.

Interview

I got a phone call from a NOV recruiter and scheduled a face to face interview. The face to face interview went well. I was asked simple questions about my experience and familiarity with downhole tools such as MWD, mud motors and various other equipment used in drilling. I did have previous experience with these tools because I worked as a roughneck for a drilling company before. I am also a military veteran and I also had a degree in mathematics. They seemed very interested and I of course was interested in working for Varco. They did explain the work load which was 12 hour shifts with lots of overtime which is what i wanted and expected given the nature of the job and the industry. They gave me a quick tour of the warehouse and informed me that they will keep in touch. I never heard from them after that. I have been applying at NOV for nearly 3 years now and this was the first interview they have ever given me. They certainly missed out on a great worker.