National Oilwell Varco Interview Questions

Updated Jun 24, 2015

2.6

Service Tech Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Houston, TX) in April 2014.

Interview

I got a phone call from a NOV recruiter and scheduled a face to face interview. The face to face interview went well. I was asked simple questions about my experience and familiarity with downhole tools such as MWD, mud motors and various other equipment used in drilling. I did have previous experience with these tools because I worked as a roughneck for a drilling company before. I am also a military veteran and I also had a degree in mathematics. They seemed very interested and I of course was interested in working for Varco. They did explain the work load which was 12 hour shifts with lots of overtime which is what i wanted and expected given the nature of the job and the industry. They gave me a quick tour of the warehouse and informed me that they will keep in touch. I never heard from them after that. I have been applying at NOV for nearly 3 years now and this was the first interview they have ever given me. They certainly missed out on a great worker.

Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Houston, TX) in March 2014.

Interview

Phone Interview followed by face to face interview. Did a walk around the job site and shown the various operations in progress. Offered was made and accepted the following day. They have drug screen and background check

Interview Questions

• Why are you making a change in your field   1 Answer

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Saint Paul, MN) in February 2014.

Interview

Applied online after seeing a posting at my college. Received a phone call a few weeks later from a recruiter in Texas. Said that my listed salary was probably too high but to fill out another application and send it to her. She forwarded it onto the location I had applied for.

Was contacted by the HR lady at the location I applied at and set up a time to interview. Interviewed onsite for about 3 hours. Had two interviews with members of the team I was interviewing for the position on and one interview with the hiring manager. Before leaving I reviewed benefits with the HR lady.

Older facility, but very nice people and environment. Very prompt with getting hotel lined up and paid mileage while onsite.

They told me that it would be about a month until I would hear back. I heard back after about three weeks and was told I was being extended an offer and most of the details of it. Received the offer via email two days later.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to be away for a 3-5 week period once a year?   Answer Question

I received another offer from the company that I was working at. Benefits were above average with good vacation and holiday amounts. For the location the salary was maybe $5k under what would have been comparable to what I took, but not a bad offer.

Momentum Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Conroe, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Conroe, TX) in February 2014.

Interview

I got called for an interview at Conroe, Texas, they paid and made all travel and lodging arrangements for me. They were very hospitable.

Interview Questions

• If you had the option to be someone else other than yourself, who would it be?   1 Answer

Field Service Technician Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at National Oilwell Varco in February 2014.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter from HR after online application. Process took about a month. Had two interviews,phone and onsite technical interview. Took an online skills test then at the onsite interview was asked to take another test. Pretty basic stuff.

Interview Questions

• Nothing too difficult,it was all stuff you should be familiar with if you have an engineering degree. I was a little over qualified for the position (I have a masters).   Answer Question

Negotiation

Simple,straight forward and direct.

File Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Conroe, TX

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Conroe, TX) in February 2014.

Interview

Met with Jill the Interviewer and she explained and discussed how and why nobody else at the company wanted to do these tedious job and that they were just looking to hire on a temporary to come in and do the file audits for them.

Mechanical Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Orange, CA).

Interview

Took 1 hr 1:1 interview with 3 people. Average questions.

Next Gen Rotational Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Houston, TX).

Interview

1st Round - (Behavioral)

The process began at my University's Career Fair with just small talk and exchange of the resume, it was followed by an information session with free food (they feed you a lot in this interview process). I believe they take 24 hours and review the resumes and then host on-campus interviews. I had two 2-on-1 interviews. The Interviewers gave off a relaxed vibe and the interview went smoothly and was quite fun. They then tell you a deadline of when you will hear back about 2nd round interviews, for me it was 3-4 weeks.

2nd Round - (Behavioral and Personal Interest)

This is the coolest part of the process, they fly you down to Houston and put you up in a pretty good hotel. Cocktail hour on the first night with an open bar and then dinner at a really nice restaurant with a small group, typically one employee for 2 or 3 candidates.

The next morning you get to hear the CEO talk for a half hour. Mr. Miller seemed like a jolly fellow and he tells you to interview the company and essentially not to take the job just for the paycheck. He wants you to be sure you like the people you've met the face of the company. Have a good relevant question ready for him. Don't just ask something that you can easily find on the website or will just yield an answer reflected in the corporations values.

After all that, you have your next round of interviews. This time it is 1-on-1 about 30 - 45 minutes and questions are again behavioral but also personal such as what is your favorite book or hobby and why. When interviews wrap up, you go on a plant tour.

Final dinner is a lot of fun at the Houston Aquarium, again an open bar, I felt like they were testing to see if anyone hadn't matured out of college. So don't get hammered. You will mix and mingle with a lot of the executives who have really interesting back grounds. Talk to them, be genuine, and don't interrupt other candidates or be rude to them. That is the fastest way to not get a job. The best thing is to talk to people that won't be at your table during dinner.

It's my opinion that a decent portion of their decision on hiring you hinges on the social interactions. There were a lot of high caliber candidates that were super smart but were introverts. I talked to all of the afterwards. None got offers.

It was a wonderful experience

Hiring Phase

This was my first offer and quite honestly, it was really low relative to everything I have received since.

Interview Questions

• I honestly don't remember. They will ask you about failure though.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate an additional one time signing bonus but it wasn't much.

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

Interview

quick and decisive; although be sure to get any promises of payments, bonuses, and benefits in writing. Many times they change benefit offerings and will not follow through with promises unless the believe they have to or it l cost them more money.

Interview Questions

• How much money do you want?   1 Answer

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Houston, TX) in November 2013.

Interview

They were strait forward and honestly just want to see if you are qualified and are actually interested in the job. There were no annoying questions that don't make sense just to see how you will react or respond.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you were faced with a difficult problem and how you solved it?   Answer Question