National Oilwell Varco Interview Questions

Updated Mar 8, 2015
Updated Mar 8, 2015

2.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

1st Round - (Behavioral)

The process began at my University's Career Fair with just small talk and exchange of the resume, it was followed by an information session with free food (they feed you a lot in this interview process). I believe they take 24 hours and review the resumes and then host on-campus interviews. I had two 2-on-1 interviews. The Interviewers gave off a relaxed vibe and the interview went smoothly and was quite fun. They then tell you a deadline of when you will hear back about 2nd round interviews, for me it was 3-4 weeks.

2nd Round - (Behavioral and Personal Interest)

This is the coolest part of the process, they fly you down to Houston and put you up in a pretty good hotel. Cocktail hour on the first night with an open bar and then dinner at a really nice restaurant with a small group, typically one employee for 2 or 3 candidates.

The next morning you get to hear the CEO talk for a half hour. Mr. Miller seemed like a jolly fellow and he tells you to interview the company and essentially not to take the job just for the paycheck. He wants you to be sure you like the people you've met the face of the company. Have a good relevant question ready for him. Don't just ask something that you can easily find on the website or will just yield an answer reflected in the corporations values.

After all that, you have your next round of interviews. This time it is 1-on-1 about 30 - 45 minutes and questions are again behavioral but also personal such as what is your favorite book or hobby and why. When interviews wrap up, you go on a plant tour.

Final dinner is a lot of fun at the Houston Aquarium, again an open bar, I felt like they were testing to see if anyone hadn't matured out of college. So don't get hammered. You will mix and mingle with a lot of the executives who have really interesting back grounds. Talk to them, be genuine, and don't interrupt other candidates or be rude to them. That is the fastest way to not get a job. The best thing is to talk to people that won't be at your table during dinner.

It's my opinion that a decent portion of their decision on hiring you hinges on the social interactions. There were a lot of high caliber candidates that were super smart but were introverts. I talked to all of the afterwards. None got offers.

It was a wonderful experience

Hiring Phase

This was my first offer and quite honestly, it was really low relative to everything I have received since.

Interview Questions
    • I honestly don't remember. They will ask you about failure though.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate an additional one time signing bonus but it wasn't much.

Inside Sales Representative Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

quick and decisive; although be sure to get any promises of payments, bonuses, and benefits in writing. Many times they change benefit offerings and will not follow through with promises unless the believe they have to or it l cost them more money.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco in October 2013.

On- campus Info session the night before interviews. The next day I had a 1:1 interview and a 2:1 interview. We were one of the first schools they visited for recruiting that year and we were told we would not hear about who was chosen for second round for about three weeks. Second round of interviews is a couple days in Houston. The second round of interviews was honestly one of the most impactful experiences of my life. Everyone there will make you feel so special. The first night there's a cocktail hour and then you split into small groups for dinner. The next day consists of breakfast and a Q&A with the CEO, 2 1:1 interviews, and a tour of their facilities. There's a big dinner that second night with higher up execs and directors. Try to find someone to talk to that you genuinely connect with. It is important to talk to a lot people and make yourself known, but I firmly believe that the one in depth conversation I had that night is a big part of why I got the job. Don't blow off a conversation just because the person's job doesn't fit your experience- they can still vouch for you either way. Overall just be yourself and relax; don't drink too much, either!

Interview Questions
    • "If you have 10 hours of work to do, but only 8 hours to do it, what is the process you use to decide what work you will give priority?"   Answer Question
    I was fine with the pay and benefits so I didn't try to negotiate.

Next Gen Rotational Program Interview

I applied online – interviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

Applied through website. Went for initial interview with a member of HR. They described the position and what it would entail. Asked what I knew about the company and the industry. Then asked several behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • The questions weren't difficult. They were all industry related or behavioral type questions. One of the questions was "Describe a time you faced a problem and how you handled it."   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

I had a family friend who knew someone very high up in the company. After a brief email correspondence with this very-high-up person, I sent them my resume. He forwarded it to other directors, who passed it down and it ended up on the desk of my supervisor-to-be. He needed an intern for the summer, and I was the first he called.

Interview Questions
    • How are you the most qualified candidate for this position?   Answer Question

Mechanical Design Engineer I Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

First interview was approximately one hour with a hiring manager, followed by a second four hour interview with the department director and two other hiring managers.

Interview Questions
    • Common behavioral questions and inquiry into past project and overcoming problems. One manager had some basic physics/engineering problems which were a little tricky but I think he was mostly looking for an approach to problem solving instead of the correct answer.   Answer Question

I received a better offer at another company.

Next Gen IT Rotational Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco in September 2013.

I received this interview through my university's career resources. There were two back-to-back interview that lasted 30 minutes each. Interviewers were knowledgeable about the Next Gen program and knew all the ins and outs. All questions were behavioral, but non-trivial. You will have to think about your answers.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation that you were in that did not have a solution, and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Competency Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Conroe, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Conroe, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco in July 2013.

Applied for the job, I got a turn down notice after about a week. Then I was contacted the same day by the hiring manager asking to answer 7 questions relevant to the posting. I then received notice that I was selected for an interview. I interviewed with the hiring manager about 2 weeks later. The interview required me to give a speech/presentation son what competency means. The interview also had a question session with general situational, what would you do when this happens type questions. After two weeks from the interview I received notice that I had not been selected for the position and the job was reposted to the company website.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you motivated someone of a different culture.   Answer Question

Building Information Technology Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

Interviewed on campus. Interview was about introducing yourself and explaining what you know about the company. After that I was selected to fly to Houston. It was a 2-3 day event where they got to know me. A lot of it was about networking and seeing how I would interact with other applicants. There where two formal interviews. Questions where mostly focused on analyzing the type of person I was.

Interview Questions
    • Name an ethical delimna you faced at work and how did you solve it.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Conroe, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Conroe, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco in June 2013.

Casual Lunch interview with manager.
    Next week formal interview and tour of the facility, close to 2 hrs. The manager was nice and respectful.
    Offer from the company, the following week.
    Waiting on BG and drug test to clear !

Interview Questions
    The offer was in the market range, not too high nor too low.