National Oilwell Varco

Updated Nov 16, 2014

2.6

Buyer/Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at National Oilwell Varco in February 2013.

One interview process which was only about 30 minutes long. Was at the location of the job as well.

Interview Questions
    • What's some detailed skills that you have learned in school.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online – interviewed at National Oilwell Varco in February 2013.

Applied through NOV careers website. Recruiter contacted me through phone for a face to face interview.first round was a programming written test and then i was interviewed by the Hiring Manager and the Project manager and one on one with the team.
    Most of the questions are from recent experience and on road blocks.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco in February 2013.

-Applied through university recruiting website
    -Received call to schedule skype interview
    -Went to company informational
    -Interviewed and received call next week asking me to schedule second interview with the manager I would be working with
    -Second interview was more informal. Just a discussion about what I have done and my experience and what I would be doing on the internship
    -Given offer a week or so later and declined

Interview Questions
    • How do you feel about working on a team of people who are all older than you?   Answer Question

The other offer was more money and NOV does not have a rotational program for graduates. The reviews on GlassDoor also deterred me.

Staff Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco in January 2013.

I received the interview through a family member who knew a recruiter at NOV. The company I interviewed for was actually called FiberSpar, a firm which NOV recently purchased. I found the staff accounting position, applied for it, and then the recruiter forwarded my resume to the hiring manager. He called me within a week and set up a 1:1 in-person interview at FiberSpar's HQ. The interview consisted of several basic behavioral interview questions as well as several technical accounting questions relating to account reconciliations. The hiring manager was very informal and mentioned things which I have never heard another interviewer say, "E.g. I'm not going to ask you stock interview questions because I want to get to know you." Overall I found the experience a neutral one as the recruiter who helped me out was fantastic and very sweet, but the hiring manager never even bothered to call be back and tell me the position had been filled. So I felt slighted in that way, but was very pleased with the positive conduct of the NOV recruiter. Overall this experience was neutral.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want this job? How does your past experience make you a good fit?   Answer Question

Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco in January 2013.

A friend of mine who works at NOV took my resume and circulated through several components of the company. I was contacted with several interested parties, I flew out and interviewed over two days, then flew home. I interviewed and took drug tests and sent in the background check paperwork from where I lived.

Interview Questions
    • None really. It was what I had expected from an interview.   Answer Question
    The hiring manager asked what salary I expected, I made my offer, they sent me a letter offer the next week which i found satisfactory, and accepted the position.

Next Generation Leadership Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco in October 2012.

I was interviewed by four people for an hour. two at a time 30 mins each. First two were general behavioral questions asked by an HR and another employee..
    Second half of the interview was by two engineers;one mechanical and an industrial engineer.They asked more detailed questions like good and bad decision ,where do you want to work? salary expectation?

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a situation where you faced a problem that you couldn't resolve?   Answer Question

Applications Developer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco in June 2012.

I had to write a code that has as inputs a list of numbers and outputs the missing numbers. Such as Input(1,2,5,7,9...m) and the output should be Output(3,4,6,8....m)

I had to analyze a piece of code and figure the value of a variable.

I had to write a Union Query for three tables with same ID's

Be ready to discuss lots of technical issues. Dont bother much with behavioral question. lots of technical. Know:
    .SDLC and steps, SQL queries, procedures, drop, delete, truncate tables, diff between Web Service and WCF, Windows Security (that literally killed me)

B2B Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco in May 2012.

2 person panel. Hiring manager was uptight and rigid. Standard questions and nothing difficult.

Didn't negotiate.

HSE Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Angelo, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Angelo, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco in May 2012.

Interview was very laid-back, but after seeing the plant I had doubts about working there. I only took the job because of what the pay would be, but later found out that was a lie. If I had've known that the only way to make the salary I was promised was to work about 100 hours a week, I wouldn't have accepted the offer. The other thing you have to consider is that the oil business is very unstable ( at least at that location it was) and the company can easily cut your hours down.

BIT Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco in April 2012.

Submitted my Resume through a University Career Management Center. Was accepted for initial on campus interview. The interview was a easy behavioral 1:1 interview with a IT manager. Received a call back and was invited to a corporate visit in Houston, TX. At the corporate visit the first night was a social mixer with current BIT employees and some current employees, this was mainly a Ice Breaker make sure to become friends with the current BIT that picks you up at the airport and they will help introduce you to important managers/VP that night. After the social mixer is a small group dinner that is to get you to relax and meet some current employees. After dinner their was a optional "bar night", in which the current BIT's take out the candidates, dont be afraid I attended and was still offered the position, so use it as a chance to really talk to the current employees and learn about NOV. The next day was a long day with presentations by the CEO, and Benefits package. After is your interviews these are all very similar to the first interview mainly behavioral questions allow the managers and directors to get to know you in these interviews because the fact that you have been invited this far NOV is interested in you, they are mainly looking for fit now. To finish the day are tours of their facilities and a dinner with top level managers and VP's alot of whom you will have interviewed with just make sure to continue talking and letting people get to know you.