National Oilwell Varco

107 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Design Engineer Interview

Design Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

Interview Details – It was a 2 interview process

Interview Question – Just your typical interview questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I asked for more and they declined

Next Gen Rotational Program Interview

Next Gen Rotational Program

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 days - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

Interview Details – The interviewers were very laid back and focused on resume questions instead of the standard books that they typically read off. I was thoroughly impressed with both their professionalism and their attitude.

Interview Question – What is your weakest asset.   Answer Question

Next Generation Leadership Program Interview

Next Generation Leadership Program
Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco in October 2012.

Interview Details – I was interviewed by four people for an hour. two at a time 30 mins each. First two were general behavioral questions asked by an HR and another employee..
Second half of the interview was by two engineers;one mechanical and an industrial engineer.They asked more detailed questions like good and bad decision ,where do you want to work? salary expectation?

Interview Question – Tell me a situation where you faced a problem that you couldn't resolve?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Easy Interview

Field Service Technician Interview

Field Service Technician
Kilgore, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco in September 2009.

Interview Details – 1.) Went to the nearest facility, and filled out an application.
2.) Got a call back from a manager when they were finally hiring.
3.) Was interviewed within a few days of the call back.
4.) After background check and urine test cleared I was hired within a few weeks.

Interview Question – No difficult answers.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation just a base starting rate.

B2B Representative Interview

B2B Representative
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco in May 2012.

Interview Details – 2 person panel. Hiring manager was uptight and rigid. Standard questions and nothing difficult.

Interview Question – What experience do yoy have with EDI?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Didn't negotiate.

International Sales Interview

International Sales
Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco in September 2008.

Interview Details – Very standard interview process. Everyone I interacted with was extremely cordial and courteous.

As part of the interview, I was given a tour of the facility and walkthrough of the operation, including the responsibilities of the position we were discussing. Compensation wasn't brought up, and as standard practice, I chose to not broach the subject until a follow-up interview or offer.

On follow up correspondence, I was informed that the position was offered and accepted by someone with more pertinent experience (oil & gas). Given the opportunity and adequate compensation, I would have accepted the position if offered.

Interview Question – How would you react to a disagreement between you and your direct supervisor   View Answer

Intern Interview

Intern
Navasota, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco in May 2011.

Interview Details – Contacted HR to see if any internship positions were available. I heard back almost immediately. I was first given a phone interview with the hiring manager. Afterwards, I was invited to come do an on site interview. Both interviews were very relaxed. The questions were mostly about my skills and experience. Within a day or two of the on site interview, I was offered the position.

Interview Question – There were no particularly difficult questions.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Mechanical Engineer
Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco in November 2008.

Interview Details – I had two interviews with managers and engineers.

Interview Question – How would you deal with a senior engineer that was stuck in his own way of doing things   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No

Entry Level Engineer Interview

Entry Level Engineer
Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco in December 2008.

Interview Details – They brought down a big group of college kids, and were looking to hire several for a year long rotation intro position. The two days included a nice dinner, several 1:1 and 2:1 interview times, and presentations.

Interview Question – What do you want to do with your career/life?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – NOV was my second choice, overall I was impressed but I accepted another offer in consulting.

Applications Developer II Interview

Applications Developer II
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco in June 2012.

Interview Details – I had to write a code that has as inputs a list of numbers and outputs the missing numbers. Such as Input(1,2,5,7,9...m) and the output should be Output(3,4,6,8....m)

I had to analyze a piece of code and figure the value of a variable.

I had to write a Union Query for three tables with same ID's

Be ready to discuss lots of technical issues. Dont bother much with behavioral question. lots of technical. Know:
.SDLC and steps, SQL queries, procedures, drop, delete, truncate tables, diff between Web Service and WCF, Windows Security (that literally killed me)

Interview Questions