National Oilwell Varco

Updated Nov 25, 2014
Updated Nov 25, 2014

3.2

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

Very intense 2 day interview process. Exhausting but fun. Only 2 actual interviews but really the whole thing is an interview. There is a huge emphasis on social interactions so make sure you talk to everyone!

Interview Questions
  • Describe a time you had a hard time putting your ideas into words.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for National Oilwell Varco

Next Gen Rotational Program Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

Was selected for a phone interview after I gave my resume to a recruiter at our career fair. Was asked mostly behavior questions during that time. About two weeks later I was selected for the second and final interview process, where they flew me to Houston. Most of the interview reviews listed below are the exact process: Dinner the first night, be very social then a facility tour with 2 interviews (one on one) asking situational and just general questions. And then a final dinner with higher management as well as execs. Make sure you are friendly to everyone, no matter who it is. Everything is a test it almost feels like but everyone is very friendly, so conversations are not hard to start if you're a social person. Be yourself because you don't want to work for a company that you aren't going to fit into.

Interview Questions
    • -How do you describe being successful?
      -Give me a time where you were shared confidential information and what was the process you followed after receiving such information?

Answer Question
    Theres no negotiation as everyone in your program/major will receive the same salary figure.

Next Gen Rotational Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco in October 2014.

There were two On-Campus Interviews in the span of 1 hr (30 minutes each interview). There were 4 interviewers in total. I got 2 interviewers per interview. 1 interviewer was the manager in charge of recruiting students for the program, 1 was an alumni of my university, and 2 were there to help the manager with technical question.

It was an overall positive experience. Really nice people, they were really friendly. All behavioral questions.

The only downside is that they interviewed me 30 minutes late because the person before me went over time and no one kept the clock on him. That is a bit unprofessional

Interview Questions
    • What is your expected salary?

Tell me a time when you had to settle a conflict between two people.

Tell me a time when you took an opportunity and ran with it.

Tell me about a leadership position.

Answer Question

Next Gen Rotational Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco in October 2014.

I spoke with them at career fair, got an on campus interview invitation a few weeks later. Because of some reason I wasn't able to register for an on campus (university website problem) interview and they offered a phone call interview. 10 days later I was scheduled for a phone call interview. They were 20 min late, the interview lasted 45 min. It was with 2 people, one for behavioral one for technical questions, half/half of the time division.

Interview Questions
    • "Give me an example of what makes you stressful?"   Answer Question
    • Assuming the same cost and result, would you prefer solving a problem using mathematical methods or building a prototype?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

1st Round - (Behavioral)

The process began at my University's Career Fair with just small talk and exchange of the resume, it was followed by an information session with free food (they feed you a lot in this interview process). I believe they take 24 hours and review the resumes and then host on-campus interviews. I had two 2-on-1 interviews. The Interviewers gave off a relaxed vibe and the interview went smoothly and was quite fun. They then tell you a deadline of when you will hear back about 2nd round interviews, for me it was 3-4 weeks.

2nd Round - (Behavioral and Personal Interest)

This is the coolest part of the process, they fly you down to Houston and put you up in a pretty good hotel. Cocktail hour on the first night with an open bar and then dinner at a really nice restaurant with a small group, typically one employee for 2 or 3 candidates.

The next morning you get to hear the CEO talk for a half hour. Mr. Miller seemed like a jolly fellow and he tells you to interview the company and essentially not to take the job just for the paycheck. He wants you to be sure you like the people you've met the face of the company. Have a good relevant question ready for him. Don't just ask something that you can easily find on the website or will just yield an answer reflected in the corporations values.

After all that, you have your next round of interviews. This time it is 1-on-1 about 30 - 45 minutes and questions are again behavioral but also personal such as what is your favorite book or hobby and why. When interviews wrap up, you go on a plant tour.

Final dinner is a lot of fun at the Houston Aquarium, again an open bar, I felt like they were testing to see if anyone hadn't matured out of college. So don't get hammered. You will mix and mingle with a lot of the executives who have really interesting back grounds. Talk to them, be genuine, and don't interrupt other candidates or be rude to them. That is the fastest way to not get a job. The best thing is to talk to people that won't be at your table during dinner.

It's my opinion that a decent portion of their decision on hiring you hinges on the social interactions. There were a lot of high caliber candidates that were super smart but were introverts. I talked to all of the afterwards. None got offers.

It was a wonderful experience

Hiring Phase

This was my first offer and quite honestly, it was really low relative to everything I have received since.

Interview Questions
    • I honestly don't remember. They will ask you about failure though.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate an additional one time signing bonus but it wasn't much.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco in October 2013.

On- campus Info session the night before interviews. The next day I had a 1:1 interview and a 2:1 interview. We were one of the first schools they visited for recruiting that year and we were told we would not hear about who was chosen for second round for about three weeks. Second round of interviews is a couple days in Houston. The second round of interviews was honestly one of the most impactful experiences of my life. Everyone there will make you feel so special. The first night there's a cocktail hour and then you split into small groups for dinner. The next day consists of breakfast and a Q&A with the CEO, 2 1:1 interviews, and a tour of their facilities. There's a big dinner that second night with higher up execs and directors. Try to find someone to talk to that you genuinely connect with. It is important to talk to a lot people and make yourself known, but I firmly believe that the one in depth conversation I had that night is a big part of why I got the job. Don't blow off a conversation just because the person's job doesn't fit your experience- they can still vouch for you either way. Overall just be yourself and relax; don't drink too much, either!

Interview Questions
    • "If you have 10 hours of work to do, but only 8 hours to do it, what is the process you use to decide what work you will give priority?"   Answer Question
    I was fine with the pay and benefits so I didn't try to negotiate.

Next Gen Rotational Program Interview

I applied online – interviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

Applied through website. Went for initial interview with a member of HR. They described the position and what it would entail. Asked what I knew about the company and the industry. Then asked several behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • The questions weren't difficult. They were all industry related or behavioral type questions. One of the questions was "Describe a time you faced a problem and how you handled it."   Answer Question

Next Gen Rotational Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

The interviewers were very laid back and focused on resume questions instead of the standard books that they typically read off. I was thoroughly impressed with both their professionalism and their attitude.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco in March 2012.

The interview was very behavioral. I really enjoyed it because they give you a lot of time to ask questions and let you get to the know them before the actual interview. It was a two step process. First you talk about leadership and personal experiences for 30 minutes with two interviewees. Then you do the same but answer behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about a time when you had to choose between making two very important decisions and why you to make that decision over the other.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

The process took a dayinterviewed at National Oilwell Varco in March 2012.

I was interviewed by a total of four people, two at a time. The first two people were very nice and I made a great impression with them. The second two were just so-so, there was no real interaction happening. What I didn't know was that only one out of the four interviewers had a say in deciding who was in. I thought it was very unfair to give us interviews with four different people when in the end, only one person's opinion counted.

Interview Questions
    • If the Queen of England gave you unlimited time and resources to convert their driving system to the American way, how would you implement this plan?   Answer Question