National Oilwell Varco
www.nov.com Houston, TX 5000+ Employees

National Oilwell Varco Next Gen Rotational Program Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Dec 14, 2013

Getting the Interview

10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

Interview Details – 1st Round - (Behavioral)

The process began at my University's Career Fair with just small talk and exchange of the resume, it was followed by an information session with free food (they feed you a lot in this interview process). I believe they take 24 hours and review the resumes and then host on-campus interviews. I had two 2-on-1 interviews. The Interviewers gave off a relaxed vibe and the interview went smoothly and was quite fun. They then tell you a deadline of when you will hear back about 2nd round interviews, for me it was 3-4 weeks.

2nd Round - (Behavioral and Personal Interest)

This is the coolest part of the process, they fly you down to Houston and put you up in a pretty good hotel. Cocktail hour on the first night with an open bar and then dinner at a really nice restaurant with a small group, typically one employee for 2 or 3 candidates.

The next morning you get to hear the CEO talk for a half hour. Mr. Miller seemed like a jolly fellow and he tells you to interview the company and essentially not to take the job just for the paycheck. He wants you to be sure you like the people you've met the face of the company. Have a good relevant question ready for him. Don't just ask something that you can easily find on the website or will just yield an answer reflected in the corporations values.

After all that, you have your next round of interviews. This time it is 1-on-1 about 30 - 45 minutes and questions are again behavioral but also personal such as what is your favorite book or hobby and why. When interviews wrap up, you go on a plant tour.

Final dinner is a lot of fun at the Houston Aquarium, again an open bar, I felt like they were testing to see if anyone hadn't matured out of college. So don't get hammered. You will mix and mingle with a lot of the executives who have really interesting back grounds. Talk to them, be genuine, and don't interrupt other candidates or be rude to them. That is the fastest way to not get a job. The best thing is to talk to people that won't be at your table during dinner.

It's my opinion that a decent portion of their decision on hiring you hinges on the social interactions. There were a lot of high caliber candidates that were super smart but were introverts. I talked to all of the afterwards. None got offers.

It was a wonderful experience

Hiring Phase

This was my first offer and quite honestly, it was really low relative to everything I have received since.

Interview Question – I honestly don't remember. They will ask you about failure though.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate an additional one time signing bonus but it wasn't much.

Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco in October 2013.

Interview Details – On- campus Info session the night before interviews. The next day I had a 1:1 interview and a 2:1 interview. We were one of the first schools they visited for recruiting that year and we were told we would not hear about who was chosen for second round for about three weeks. Second round of interviews is a couple days in Houston. The second round of interviews was honestly one of the most impactful experiences of my life. Everyone there will make you feel so special. The first night there's a cocktail hour and then you split into small groups for dinner. The next day consists of breakfast and a Q&A with the CEO, 2 1:1 interviews, and a tour of their facilities. There's a big dinner that second night with higher up execs and directors. Try to find someone to talk to that you genuinely connect with. It is important to talk to a lot people and make yourself known, but I firmly believe that the one in depth conversation I had that night is a big part of why I got the job. Don't blow off a conversation just because the person's job doesn't fit your experience- they can still vouch for you either way. Overall just be yourself and relax; don't drink too much, either!

Interview Question – "If you have 10 hours of work to do, but only 8 hours to do it, what is the process you use to decide what work you will give priority?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was fine with the pay and benefits so I didn't try to negotiate.

Next Gen Rotational Program

I applied online and interviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

Interview Details – Applied through website. Went for initial interview with a member of HR. They described the position and what it would entail. Asked what I knew about the company and the industry. Then asked several behavioral questions.

Interview Question – The questions weren't difficult. They were all industry related or behavioral type questions. One of the questions was "Describe a time you faced a problem and how you handled it."   Answer Question

Next Gen Rotational Program

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 days - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

Interview Details – The interviewers were very laid back and focused on resume questions instead of the standard books that they typically read off. I was thoroughly impressed with both their professionalism and their attitude.

Interview Question – What is your weakest asset.   Answer Question

Houston, TX

The process took a day - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco in March 2012.

Interview Details – I was interviewed by a total of four people, two at a time. The first two people were very nice and I made a great impression with them. The second two were just so-so, there was no real interaction happening. What I didn't know was that only one out of the four interviewers had a say in deciding who was in. I thought it was very unfair to give us interviews with four different people when in the end, only one person's opinion counted.

Interview Question – If the Queen of England gave you unlimited time and resources to convert their driving system to the American way, how would you implement this plan?   Answer Question

Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco in March 2012.

Interview Details – The interview was very behavioral. I really enjoyed it because they give you a lot of time to ask questions and let you get to the know them before the actual interview. It was a two step process. First you talk about leadership and personal experiences for 30 minutes with two interviewees. Then you do the same but answer behavioral questions.

Interview Question – Talk about a time when you had to choose between making two very important decisions and why you to make that decision over the other.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Next Gen Rotational Program

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco in March 2013.

Interview Details – Employees were very professional in presenting the companies needs through an informative 'short-listed' (Still 10-20 Applicants). Recent graduates of the program were on hand to answer questions - However, time was limited, many candidates are vying for their attention to make impressions.

Interview Question – Nothing really hard at all - very much qualitative/behavioural questions on your previous work experiences. Ones to get to know you personally as well.   Answer Question

Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I applied through college or university - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco in February 2013.

Interview Details – Two sessions of 2 on 1 interview, 20 minutes each. Strictly behavioral. In Canada they are mostly looking for sales people so it is pretty hard to break into BIT unless you are an all-star. The ranges of salary are also pretty poor. I stated I was looking for 48-55 and they replied by saying that that was out of the range they were looking to offer.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had a conflict when it went poorly.   Answer Question

Next Gen Rotational Program

I applied online and interviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

Interview Details – They hosted an informational session the night before with a beneficial and detailed overview of the company. This informational answered most of my questions, but I had prepared additional questions to ask in the interview the following day.
The first round of the interview consisted of two, two-on-one interviews with varied company employees, there was only one interviewer directly related to the Next Gen program. Everyone was extremely friendly and approachable.

Interview Question – Tell us about a time you failed.   Answer Question

Edmonton, AB (Canada)

The process took 4 days - interviewed at National Oilwell Varco in February 2012.

Interview Details – there was two back to back 30 min interviews. they asked a lot of behavioral questions.

Interview Question – what is the difference between management and leadership?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at National Oilwell Varco

Worked for National Oilwell Varco? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at National Oilwell Varco Next Gen Rotational Program interview questions and advice. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by National Oilwell Varco employees and interview candidates.