National Renewable Energy Lab Interview Questions

Updated Jun 12, 2015

2.9

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at National Renewable Energy Lab.

Interview

They did not call me even after telling me that I am being considered for the Job. After 2 weeks I shot an email that I have sent an email stating the appointment time and the recruiter wants the interview the same day. So it was strange for me, we were in different time zone and she did not even told me that which time zone she was talking about. Anyway I got a call in the middle of my work and I was told that I am not telling a story of my 8 year old research, Oh Well I am not GARRISON KEELER. I am here to tell you about the research not my story. but It was awkward because she was a not technical person and I did not know what she got or what she did not. It could have been a lot better if I was talking to somebody from the science background.

Media Relations Interview

Anonymous Employee in Golden, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at National Renewable Energy Lab (Golden, CO) in April 2015.

Interview

It was relatively fast and convenient. After the online job application was submitted and I passed the screening process, the first step was a phone interview with a recruiter, which included email questions, followed by an hour-long, in-person interview with three people I would be working for/with. Everyone I talked to was open to my questions and it seems like a good place to work. Most questions concerned my background and experience, nothing too unexpected.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a scientist who wanted to include a technical term (jargon) in his quote?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to handle a source who had a problem with one of your stories.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at National Renewable Energy Lab.

Interview

This was a very extensive interview, requiring a 45 minute technical presentation followed by questions & answers, and approximately 5 30-minute 1 on 1 interviews. First their was a phone interview and thorough application. Following the presentation and in person interviews, I had an additional phone interview. This was a very thorough process for one of the countries top renewable research institutes.
    I don't recall the exact number of days, but the entire application/interview process took several weeks.

Interview Questions

• Provide examples of projects for which you have applied analytical and/or experimental skills to solve a technical problem.   Answer Question

Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at National Renewable Energy Lab (Golden, CO) in January 2015.

Interview

In person interview included 45 minute presentation with about 15 people present. Questions were fielded during the presentation rather than onky at the end. Multiple 1 on 2 and 1 on 1 30 min interviews followed. Interviewers ranged from employees who I would work with day to day, senior and managment staff, and department head. 1 on 2 interviews always had similar type of employee present.Overall the experience was positive. The group was friendly and easy to talk with.

Interview Questions

• Explain how you deal with situations where someone disaggres with you.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at National Renewable Energy Lab in November 2014.

Interview

I was being interviewed for system advisor modeler intern position. They asked about previous experience with data analysis and coding. Also was asked to submit a technical writing sample.They also ask about how well you can communicate with non technical people the findings of your research. Also asked to describe what is my understanding of the product they are developing. Overall the questions were predictable.Only reason for not getting the job must be that they found someone who was a better match to the position. Like someone who had more experience with data analysis or coding.

Interview Questions

• How well can you communicate technical outcomes of your research with nontechnical audience?   Answer Question

Business Support II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at National Renewable Energy Lab (Boulder, CO) in November 2014.

Interview

Two phone interviews, came in for a team panel interview and then met with the manager. The talked about webinars they wanted me to run and how I would handle the team. They had very high level expectations but when working with them they were too busy to actually tell me what they wanted only what didn't work.

Interview Questions

• How do I handle my work-load?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at National Renewable Energy Lab.

Interview

Initial 15 minute interview in which the HR rep was late to the call (I had to call them because they got the time wrong!), didn't know anything about the job, and did not have the technical background to have a discussion on my qualifications. Basic questions, but it was strange to have a non-technical person asking technical questions. This prevented us being able to actually have a good interview.

Interview Questions

• What is a skill that you have and how will you use it to help with this work?   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden, CO

Interview

Interviewed with a panel of 7-8 people at once. First interview is typically with an NREL recruiter. If you are brought in, it will be a panel interview with everyone on the recruiting team except the manager. This is also how the team is run so it is actually something you should pay close attention to. Multiple people will question you at the same time, each interviewer may have a different expectation for your answer. Try to address each person properly. Do not be tricked into being overly comfortable or informal.

Interview Questions

• Questions are standard but interviewers disagree and speak over each other during this process   1 Answer

Negotiation

Zero negotiation

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Employee in Golden, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at National Renewable Energy Lab (Golden, CO).

Interview

The interview process here leaves something to be desired. I found multiple job postings at the same time that couldn't have been a more perfect fit. I wasn't contacted at all for four of them. I was contacted quickly for one of them -- in this case, I had no HR interview at all but went right to an onsite interview in Golden (even though the job would have been in Boulder) with two managers in the department. I got a weird vibe and suspected that I was just a "filler interview," and they had already selected their candidate prior to my interview. No one bothered to contact me to tell me that I was not selected.

For the last position, in the same department that I interviewed with previously, I was contacted months later by a different HR person. This time I had to return written responses to interview questions (the same ones I was asked by one of the managers in person last time), then had a casual HR phone screening after I returned my responses. It seemed to be positive, but again, I heard nothing.

Interview Questions

• Nothing difficult... Why do you want to work at NREL?   Answer Question
    • In your current position, what do you consider your greatest accomplishment?   Answer Question
    • Describe your preferred work environment.   Answer Question
    • How does working at NREL fit in with your longer term career goals?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

Applied in February, interviewed in April after accepting another internship elsewhere. Interview was over the phone, highly informational, a few hard questions aimed at assessing interest in working in the field, and questions about my education and background as well as academic publications.

Interview Questions

• Asked to explain in detail current research. I was not tested on knowledge of policy or analytic capability   Answer Question