National Renewable Energy Lab Interview Questions

Updated Oct 7, 2014
Updated Oct 7, 2014

2.8

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at National Renewable Energy Lab.

Initial 15 minute interview in which the HR rep was late to the call (I had to call them because they got the time wrong!), didn't know anything about the job, and did not have the technical background to have a discussion on my qualifications. Basic questions, but it was strange to have a non-technical person asking technical questions. This prevented us being able to actually have a good interview.

Interview Questions
    • What is a skill that you have and how will you use it to help with this work?   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden, CO

Interviewed with a panel of 7-8 people at once. First interview is typically with an NREL recruiter. If you are brought in, it will be a panel interview with everyone on the recruiting team except the manager. This is also how the team is run so it is actually something you should pay close attention to. Multiple people will question you at the same time, each interviewer may have a different expectation for your answer. Try to address each person properly. Do not be tricked into being overly comfortable or informal.

Interview Questions
    • Questions are standard but interviewers disagree and speak over each other during this process   View Answer
    Zero negotiation

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

I just need to konow the range. need to negotiate carefully. the salary is low low low low lowI just need to konow the range. need to negotiate carefully. the salary is low low low low lowI just need to konow the range. need to negotiate carefully. the salary is low low low low lowI just need to konow the range. need to negotiate carefully. the salary is low low low low low

Intern Interview

Applied in February, interviewed in April after accepting another internship elsewhere. Interview was over the phone, highly informational, a few hard questions aimed at assessing interest in working in the field, and questions about my education and background as well as academic publications.

Interview Questions
    • Asked to explain in detail current research. I was not tested on knowledge of policy or analytic capability   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden, CO

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at National Renewable Energy Lab.

The interview process here leaves something to be desired. I found multiple job postings at the same time that couldn't have been a more perfect fit. I wasn't contacted at all for four of them. I was contacted quickly for one of them -- in this case, I had no HR interview at all but went right to an onsite interview in Golden (even though the job would have been in Boulder) with two managers in the department. I got a weird vibe and suspected that I was just a "filler interview," and they had already selected their candidate prior to my interview. No one bothered to contact me to tell me that I was not selected.

For the last position, in the same department that I interviewed with previously, I was contacted months later by a different HR person. This time I had to return written responses to interview questions (the same ones I was asked by one of the managers in person last time), then had a casual HR phone screening after I returned my responses. It seemed to be positive, but again, I heard nothing.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult... Why do you want to work at NREL?   Answer Question
    • In your current position, what do you consider your greatest accomplishment?   Answer Question
    • Describe your preferred work environment.   Answer Question
    • How does working at NREL fit in with your longer term career goals?   Answer Question

Process Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden, CO

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at National Renewable Energy Lab.

Applied online, recruiter contacted me within 2 days! Scheduled an interview next week.
    Recruiter asked basic questions about me and my interests. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Tell me about your experiences and how they fit with this position. Second interview was with the hiring manager, asked more technical/detailed questions about my resume.

Interview Questions
    • They want to know if you're truly an expert or if you're "winging" it.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Research Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden, CO

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at National Renewable Energy Lab in January 2014.

Applied online, was contacted by HR to set up a phone interview and I chatted with two of the senior managers. Was contacted a week later by HR who schedueld an on-site visit and a more formal interview.

Interview Questions
    • Very general questions about background and experience. One tricky questions about equipment danger and lab safety was asked.   Answer Question

Better job offer elsewhere with better pay

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden, CO

I applied online – interviewed at National Renewable Energy Lab.

They didn't tell me who I'd be interviewing with, and it ended up being a whole team, including the team leader.

Interview Questions
    • The recruiter kept saying they wanted people passionate about the environment, but the interviewer asked if I could be more unbiased and measured about the subject, which surprised me.   Answer Question

Scientist II Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at National Renewable Energy Lab.

1) Phone interview with HR specialist/recruiter to screen for final candidates
    2) Final candidates are invited on-site for presentation and panel interview
    3) 1-day interview begins with a presentation on previous experience/relevant research, followed by panel interviews, and lab tours to see working environment.
    4)HR will contact with offer
    5)negotiate/discuss offer
    6)relocation stipend is provided for out-of-town hires

Interview Questions
    • This is a very long team interview that lasts a full 8-hour workday. Requires a ~30 minute presentation on past research experience to the entire team.   Answer Question
    Yes, ALWAYS negotiate and ask for a bit more than the initial offer. They will most likely meet you at least partway if you are a good fit for the position.

Engineer II Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at National Renewable Energy Lab in January 2013.

Submitted online application, about 6 weeks later was contacted for an over the phone screening interview. Very easy, basic questions i.e. "walk me through your resume". About 4 weeks later was invited to come to Golden for an in-person interview. The in-person interview was 3 hours-- 1 hour of presenting my thesis topic, and 3 consecutive 45 minute interviews. The first two interviews were more about technical expertise, and the third was about working style. About 2.5 weeks after the in-person interview I was offered the position

Interview Questions
    • How would you frame [this research question] as an optimization problem and what would be the methods you would use?   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate a very small increase in pay and a small signing bonus.