National Renewable Energy Lab Interview Questions

Updated Aug 28, 2014

2.8

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden, CO

Interviewed with a panel of 7-8 people at once. First interview is typically with an NREL recruiter. If you are brought in, it will be a panel interview with everyone on the recruiting team except the manager. This is also how the team is run so it is actually something you should pay close attention to. Multiple people will question you at the same time, each interviewer may have a different expectation for your answer. Try to address each person properly. Do not be tricked into being overly comfortable or informal.

Interview Questions
    • Questions are standard but interviewers disagree and speak over each other during this process   View Answer
    Zero negotiation

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

I just need to konow the range. need to negotiate carefully. the salary is low low low low lowI just need to konow the range. need to negotiate carefully. the salary is low low low low lowI just need to konow the range. need to negotiate carefully. the salary is low low low low lowI just need to konow the range. need to negotiate carefully. the salary is low low low low low

Intern Interview

Applied in February, interviewed in April after accepting another internship elsewhere. Interview was over the phone, highly informational, a few hard questions aimed at assessing interest in working in the field, and questions about my education and background as well as academic publications.

Interview Questions
    • Asked to explain in detail current research. I was not tested on knowledge of policy or analytic capability   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden, CO

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at National Renewable Energy Lab.

The interview process here leaves something to be desired. I found multiple job postings at the same time that couldn't have been a more perfect fit. I wasn't contacted at all for four of them. I was contacted quickly for one of them -- in this case, I had no HR interview at all but went right to an onsite interview in Golden (even though the job would have been in Boulder) with two managers in the department. I got a weird vibe and suspected that I was just a "filler interview," and they had already selected their candidate prior to my interview. No one bothered to contact me to tell me that I was not selected.

For the last position, in the same department that I interviewed with previously, I was contacted months later by a different HR person. This time I had to return written responses to interview questions (the same ones I was asked by one of the managers in person last time), then had a casual HR phone screening after I returned my responses. It seemed to be positive, but again, I heard nothing.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult... Why do you want to work at NREL?   Answer Question
    • In your current position, what do you consider your greatest accomplishment?   Answer Question
    • Describe your preferred work environment.   Answer Question
    • How does working at NREL fit in with your longer term career goals?   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at National Renewable Energy Lab in July 2012.

First was a telephone interview conducted by HR. On-site interview started at 11:00 am. First was a presentation with the topic that was closely related to the job responsibility. All team members attended the presentation. There was a lunch break after the presentation. After that, I talked to 4 team members one by one. Finally, I was arranged to talk to the HR manager.

Interview Questions
    • Telephone interview asked common questions about study and work experience based on resume. HR asked me about the reason why my RA terminated.   Answer Question

Research Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden, CO

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at National Renewable Energy Lab in January 2014.

Applied online, was contacted by HR to set up a phone interview and I chatted with two of the senior managers. Was contacted a week later by HR who schedueld an on-site visit and a more formal interview.

Interview Questions
    • Very general questions about background and experience. One tricky questions about equipment danger and lab safety was asked.   Answer Question

Better job offer elsewhere with better pay

Process Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden, CO

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at National Renewable Energy Lab.

Applied online, recruiter contacted me within 2 days! Scheduled an interview next week.
    Recruiter asked basic questions about me and my interests. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Tell me about your experiences and how they fit with this position. Second interview was with the hiring manager, asked more technical/detailed questions about my resume.

Interview Questions
    • They want to know if you're truly an expert or if you're "winging" it.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Energy Analyst III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden, CO

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at National Renewable Energy Lab in November 2010.

The hiring process is, unfortunately, very slow. I was called for an interview 3.5 months after I applied (and this is not uncommon). Initially you are contacted by a recruiter type person in the hiring office (not the person you would actually be working for). After a short and "easy" phone interview, the next step is answer questions over email (again pretty easy). After that they set up an in-person interview. For my position this meant a 2-hour meeting, with several 30 minute meetings (including with the person who was my manager as well as with peers). Other positions at NREL require a 30 minute presentation as part of the process. It took another 3 weeks or so before I found out I was hired. Then there was another 4 week window before they could schedule my start date (it had to coincide with various new-hire meetings/presentations, etc.). However, I think that was unusual, and typically people can coordinate a start date that works for them.

Interview Questions
    • In all honesty, there were not any unexpected questions or difficult questions. Everyone was nice, and seemed to really just want to get a genuine sense of my background, experience, skills, and personality. It felt very productive and effective.   Answer Question
    There was very little negotiation; they offered me what I asked fo.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden, CO

I applied online - interviewed at National Renewable Energy Lab.

They didn't tell me who I'd be interviewing with, and it ended up being a whole team, including the team leader.

Interview Questions
    • The recruiter kept saying they wanted people passionate about the environment, but the interviewer asked if I could be more unbiased and measured about the subject, which surprised me.   Answer Question

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden, CO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days - interviewed at National Renewable Energy Lab in June 2012.

Interview at Qdoba with my project manager and my technical consultant. Talked about experiences and school. Was asked if I wanted to position about two days afterwards.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult tricky question; simply asked what experiences I had in a variety of different disciplines   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Worked for National Renewable Energy Lab? Contribute to the Community!