National University of Singapore

Updated Nov 6, 2014

2.6

Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at National University of Singapore in July 2009.

I think I didn't completely prepare for the interview. I was very nervous, sometimes even don't know what I wanted to say. However, the interviewer was very nice? they asked me things let me know what I wanted to say and relax. There after, I think the interview is OK. to me, I mean.

Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at National University of Singapore in December 2010.

I've known the professor who was interviewing me for over an year, as i did my masters thesis under him.

Interview Questions
    Negotiation with the professor who is hiring me in ECE dept.

Research Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at National University of Singapore in January 2012.

I applied for the a research area slightly out of my scope and that was the main reason of not getting an offer

Interview Questions
    • they tested me for my programming skills in matlab and c   View Answer

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at National University of Singapore in June 2012.

1st round: invitation of written test (including basic financial knowledge and programming skills)
    2nd round: interview with research analysts level (key competneces you are qualified to take this job)
    3rd round: interview with research associates
    4th round: interview with senior management (e.g. why do you want to choose RMI)
    5th round: talk with HR to discuss welfare packages

Interview Questions
    • it's 2nd round interview, can be very specific about the skills listed on your resume, you must be very careful about what you write on it   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

There are two rounds of interview. The first one is a phone interview and the second is a face-to-face interview.

For the phone interview, the professor required me to call him at a stipulated time. When I called him, he picked up on first ring so it came across he remembered but just did not want to call. I take it as poor interview etiquette and to mean he is not reachable unless by appointment if you become his staff.

Throughout the interview, he was speaking meanly in a very nice way. He was asking for first authorship kind of work from me and asked about technical questions different from those used in his area of work and in his advertisement. He also asked whether I could write papers for grants which I came to understand it is his job scope as a professor. When I mentioned I did not have some of those I don't have (I knew about 70% of what he asked already), he went, "Oh, the kinds of job you had usually had your name on the publications last. People like you are good at analyzing things but had so much difficulty writing papers."

To be reasonable, he is paying less than S$3000 for this RA position and he is demanding intellectual work which is more likely his job scope.Then he should have asked for first authorships in his job criteria.

After I hanged up, I felt that he probably saw me a waste of time so he asked me to call him. Well, I have attended interviews in other universities to know things work in a better humane sense.

He even commented how people from other industries came to his interview and he did not want to see those people. Hence, the phone interview. Well, to be fair, the job market is getting very bad for job seekers. People just want to put food on their tables. For him as a junior ranked professor to make such comments to stranger interviewees, it's very unkind of him.

Interview Questions
    • Expect technical questions different from those he stated in his job advertisement.   View Answer

The pay is too low and unjustifiable for the job scope he is offering.

Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied in-person – interviewed at National University of Singapore in June 2011.

You need to approach the professors before you start to apply. The interview is done if you meet the supervisor during some academic conference/workshop. The salary is standard, not much negotiation involved. The working environment is good. Single or double-share office is provided.

Interview Questions
    • You have to study the research of the group so that you can find a good match when you approach the professors.   Answer Question

Executive Interview

I applied online – interviewed at National University of Singapore in October 2014.

Was given and Early interview. Arrived and told to read a report, prepare the slides and give a presentation.
    Reasonable length of interview and was told the hiring process is long. No specific time frame given.

No official offer yet. Told that hiring process was long.

Arts Manager/Administrator Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at National University of Singapore in December 2011.

Standard application means submission of an application form that details all your education, career history and family details. I wrote in to ask about job opportunities, together with my CV attached. I was lucky to that there just so happened to have a need for my specialisation and background. First round of interview was with the Director, the Senior Associate Director and the HR Assistant Director. It was a general discussion of my background, my career preference, and my conviction in being in this line of work. There were a few possible areas of work they proposed, and they took note of what I might be suitable for. Was called back for second of round of interview with the Senior Associate Director and HR Director, during which I was asked about what I think of the organisation, and their relation to the student population, areas which I find is lacking etc. Then I was asked a specific case of how I would apply my skills to a particular situation given. The last round was myself and the HR Assistant Director, telling me the job scope that has been carved out for me, and agreeing on them.

Interview Questions
    • How would you attract the youths to come for a band performance?   View Answer
    Was a fresh grad, so didn't think of negotiating.

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at National University of Singapore in February 2009.

They provide me with the flight+ accommodation cost for the interview in Singapore. The interview was pretty straight forward, they asked about my past experience and my knwledge about the waste water treatment process

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle being away from your home country and living in a totally different environment?   View Answer

Executive - Student Affairs Interview

I applied online – interviewed at National University of Singapore.

1 interview
    Fun culture, but cliquish. People don't take the effort to make newcomers feel welcome

Negotiate with justifications for pay increase
    My first request for pay negotiation was rejected by the HR staff. Only when I listed my full justifications was I taken seriously.