National University of Singapore

Updated Nov 6, 2014
Updated Nov 6, 2014

2.6

Research Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at National University of Singapore in January 2012.

I applied for the a research area slightly out of my scope and that was the main reason of not getting an offer

Interview Questions
    • they tested me for my programming skills in matlab and c   View Answer

Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at National University of Singapore in July 2009.

I think I didn't completely prepare for the interview. I was very nervous, sometimes even don't know what I wanted to say. However, the interviewer was very nice? they asked me things let me know what I wanted to say and relax. There after, I think the interview is OK. to me, I mean.

Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at National University of Singapore in December 2010.

I've known the professor who was interviewing me for over an year, as i did my masters thesis under him.

Interview Questions
    Negotiation with the professor who is hiring me in ECE dept.

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at National University of Singapore in June 2012.

1st round: invitation of written test (including basic financial knowledge and programming skills)
    2nd round: interview with research analysts level (key competneces you are qualified to take this job)
    3rd round: interview with research associates
    4th round: interview with senior management (e.g. why do you want to choose RMI)
    5th round: talk with HR to discuss welfare packages

Interview Questions
    • it's 2nd round interview, can be very specific about the skills listed on your resume, you must be very careful about what you write on it   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

There are two rounds of interview. The first one is a phone interview and the second is a face-to-face interview.

For the phone interview, the professor required me to call him at a stipulated time. When I called him, he picked up on first ring so it came across he remembered but just did not want to call. I take it as poor interview etiquette and to mean he is not reachable unless by appointment if you become his staff.

Throughout the interview, he was speaking meanly in a very nice way. He was asking for first authorship kind of work from me and asked about technical questions different from those used in his area of work and in his advertisement. He also asked whether I could write papers for grants which I came to understand it is his job scope as a professor. When I mentioned I did not have some of those I don't have (I knew about 70% of what he asked already), he went, "Oh, the kinds of job you had usually had your name on the publications last. People like you are good at analyzing things but had so much difficulty writing papers."

To be reasonable, he is paying less than S$3000 for this RA position and he is demanding intellectual work which is more likely his job scope.Then he should have asked for first authorships in his job criteria.

After I hanged up, I felt that he probably saw me a waste of time so he asked me to call him. Well, I have attended interviews in other universities to know things work in a better humane sense.

He even commented how people from other industries came to his interview and he did not want to see those people. Hence, the phone interview. Well, to be fair, the job market is getting very bad for job seekers. People just want to put food on their tables. For him as a junior ranked professor to make such comments to stranger interviewees, it's very unkind of him.

Interview Questions
    • Expect technical questions different from those he stated in his job advertisement.   View Answer

The pay is too low and unjustifiable for the job scope he is offering.

Laboratory Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent Ridge (Singapore)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent Ridge (Singapore)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at National University of Singapore in June 2011.

Three panel interview. Asked me general work ethics questions, lab research experience, how well I manage order and paperwork.

Very smooth.

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at National University of Singapore in February 2009.

They provide me with the flight+ accommodation cost for the interview in Singapore. The interview was pretty straight forward, they asked about my past experience and my knwledge about the waste water treatment process

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle being away from your home country and living in a totally different environment?   View Answer

Master of Science Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at National University of Singapore.

I did my Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering in the year 2011-2012. I specialized in Mechatronics which was an interesting course given the fact that it is versatile in its structure and the learning was fun. I did a series of 7 mini projects (including projects from mechanical, electrical and software domains) to complete the course and they were useful and interesting.

Interview Questions
    • There was no difficult phase as such but it was a hectic one year period for me since I took 5 modules per semester instead of the nominal 3 modules. It was fruitful since I passed out with good grades ans saved one year's tuition fees.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at National University of Singapore in March 2010.

I had the two phone interviews when I was in Beijing. The time difference is a bad thing ( I had to get up at 5am), and the interviewer's accent always make me to ask for repeating the questions, which annoyed him. He was not patient and I was also nervous. The interview goes not smooth. You can expect the results.

Management Support Officer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at National University of Singapore in June 2011.

I knew the company's senior associate director as he was my previous boss at the National Library Board of Singapore. The panel consisted of 3 people (inclusive of him). I submitted my credentials on the day of the interview. Prior to this, they reviewed my resume alongside with other 10 entries. Just be natural, look smart and be sure to highlight the skills that you can offer them for the particular job you are applying for. University employees tend to be have a focus on academics.

Interview Questions
    • Describe your experience at the National Library Board.   Answer Question