National University of Singapore

Updated Nov 6, 2014

2.8

8 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Research Assistant Interview

Met with Principal Investigator. Experiences related to project, what you can offer, explain experimental methods (i.e different type of PCR, some biology related questions etc). Took less than 30 minutes and was informal and easy going.

Other Interview Reviews for National University of Singapore

Research Assistant Interview

There are two rounds of interview. The first one is a phone interview and the second is a face-to-face interview.

For the phone interview, the professor required me to call him at a stipulated time. When I called him, he picked up on first ring so it came across he remembered but just did not want to call. I take it as poor interview etiquette and to mean he is not reachable unless by appointment if you become his staff.

Throughout the interview, he was speaking meanly in a very nice way. He was asking for first authorship kind of work from me and asked about technical questions different from those used in his area of work and in his advertisement. He also asked whether I could write papers for grants which I came to understand it is his job scope as a professor. When I mentioned I did not have some of those I don't have (I knew about 70% of what he asked already), he went, "Oh, the kinds of job you had usually had your name on the publications last. People like you are good at analyzing things but had so much difficulty writing papers."

To be reasonable, he is paying less than S$3000 for this RA position and he is demanding intellectual work which is more likely his job scope.Then he should have asked for first authorships in his job criteria.

After I hanged up, I felt that he probably saw me a waste of time so he asked me to call him. Well, I have attended interviews in other universities to know things work in a better humane sense.

He even commented how people from other industries came to his interview and he did not want to see those people. Hence, the phone interview. Well, to be fair, the job market is getting very bad for job seekers. People just want to put food on their tables. For him as a junior ranked professor to make such comments to stranger interviewees, it's very unkind of him.

Interview Questions
    • Expect technical questions different from those he stated in his job advertisement.   View Answer

The pay is too low and unjustifiable for the job scope he is offering.

Research Assistant Interview

Employer (Prof) would ask you about your inclinations and willingness to work past office hours (as expected for research related work). The prof would then describe his/her current works and the findings and he/she would ask you few questions on how would you be able to help out in the lab. They would bring you to meet their lab members and would allow you to have a small chat with them and let you have interactions with them.

Research Assistant Interview

Schedule a meeting with the professor. Talk with him during the meeting about your background. Sometimes he will ask for your transcript and determine whether you are suitable for the job.

Research Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at National University of Singapore.

I saw the opening on the institute's website. The next day I sent out the email, they contacted me, which is faster than I expected. They arranged a phone interview the next day for my personal details.

The real face-to-face interview was the week after. I met the professor who needed the assistant. It was quite casual. We sat in his office on the couch and he asked several questions, like my experience, my career plan, etc. The whole interview lasted for about 40 minutes. Then he told me that I could go out to the office to mingle with people working in the office, which I didn't because they seemed busy.

A week later, I sent a very polite email to the professor to thank him to give me the interview opportunity. On the same day, they sent me an email and told me that they decide to give me the job offer!

(But it does take them long to get an EP for foreign employees)

Interview Questions
    • What are your plans for your career development?   View Answer

Research Assistant Interview

interview with the principal investiagtor

Interview Questions
    • N.A. Just read up and understand about the ongoing research/projects in the lab.   Answer Question
    NA

Research Assistant Interview

recommended by my phd supervisor.

Interview Questions
    not much. the salary is satisfactory.

Research Assistant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at National University of Singapore in June 2010.

Questions about background